Your first dance teacher

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chomsky, Aug 31, 2011.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Was it difficult or easy to get over your first dance teacher? Did it take you long? Were you discouraged after that:confused:?

2. We were a bit worried when our first teacher left. He had been an OK teacher in terms of we learnt steps, but there was no comaraderie there, and he wasn't bothered with us beyond a certain point when it came to technique, so we figured a new teacher had a fair chance of being an improvement. It wasn't a big deal to get over to be honest!

A couple of months later, we landed our current teacher who we are really happy with, so it worked out in our favour. However, we are only social dancers, I guess when it comes to competition level the requirements on teaching quality become more exacting.

Are you looking about for a new teacher, or just waiting to see who replaces your old teacher at your school? If the former applies, try and find someone by personal recommendation - can your old teacher help with this? Either way, you'll just have to see how things go - if it doesn't work out, try someone else.

3. chomsky

I am not looking, I am just wondering what will happen in case I have to change my teacher. I wouldn't like to be as dependent as I am now, you see.

It's the newbies worries, that's what it is. You don't know what will come next when you're so inexperienced. My fear is something bad is bound to happen especially when you put so much energy and hopes on a part of your life. It's a first for me, so if dance is everything then what happens when I lose it?

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

zomg...that is about 20k of my 50k posts...answer = very hard, harder than it should have been...you live and you learn...you take the best and move on

5. chomsky

I loooove your new avatar!!!

6. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I went through this same questioning not too long ago, as no doubt pretty much everyone on this forum has (or will) at some point. In the end I realized I just had to ask myself why I am dancing and why I love it so much - because of dance, or because of my teacher? It's really a bit of both, but I finally did realize that it is dance. I did not, at least not yet, have to find a new teacher, but asking myself that question and coming to the conclusion that I would be okay dancing with someone else made me less dependent and actually made it more fun to dance with him. So it's a great question to ask and answer yourself, no matter your intent.

7. fascination

thanks...he looks great...there are things about it with me that need improvement, but I still got it because it was the first comp where I got to do that particular move...the line is bad on me as well as the angle, and there is too much upper body tension, but it will improve...now...BOT...I think it is natural to develop a bond to your teacher in some way, to some degree....suffice it to call this an understatement; it is essential to keep it in perspective:rolleyes:

8. chomsky

Wow!!!!! Couldn't agree with you more. What you said is so so true!!!

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My relationship with my first instructor was ... not a healthy one. I don't think that having a crush on one's instructor *has* to be a poisonous thing, but it certainly was in that case. In all honesty, moving on when I did was a relief. It helped that the instructor I moved on to was a significantly better instructor from the standpoint of dancing and that was the point I really moved to working on getting into something vaguely resembling competition shape. It added a nice bit of "no, it really is the dancing that I care about" to the transition.

Also: I like the new avatar too, fasc.

10. fascination

what Jude said...exactly

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yep. It also depends on the circumstances of the split. (I'll just say 'bad' to 'nasty' and leave it at that.) OTOH, it was the BEST thing that could have happened as my NEW teachers were ten times better, plus allowed me to make the connections that resulted in my dancing with new pro once I moved, another very good thing.

Just think of it as an opportunity to move on and up if you must.

12. i have been blessed. i was with my first teacher 4 years. we had a good connection. he left the state to open a new studio. i was with my second teacher 4 years. he had more experience and was a better fit size-wise. he was injured during a performance, and i ended up leaving the area. i was with my next teacher 2 years, and we mostly worked on technique, not performance or choreography. that was my least good fit.

i currently alternate between two teachers. i find this very useful.

with each of my previous teachers, we have gone through the "crush" phase and the dependency phase. i think the advantage of multiple teachers (through time, as well as through alternation) is learning what parts of your dancing are "you" and what are you as part of a partnership. i would study/dance with any of my teachers again, anytime, any place.

transition was not easy, but it has gotten easier as i learn that "i" can dance, not just dance with my teacher. as much as i have enjoyed each of them, i would not have learned about my own dancing without the transitions.

agree about the new avatar

13. chomsky

give me more!

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Actually, I was not unhappy to part with my very first dance instructor. She taught me well and she danced very well, but she had a domineering personality that I was at times uncomfortable with.

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Definitely not easy. Was easier the second time she stopped teaching me though, was healthier relationship that time around

16. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

"i think the advantage of multiple teachers (through time, as well as through alternation) is learning what parts of your dancing are "you" and what are you as part of a partnership.
    transition was not easy, but it has gotten easier as i learn that "i" can dance, not just dance with my teacher. as much as i have enjoyed each of them, i would not have learned about my own dancing without the transitions."

This thread could not have come at a better time in my own dancing "journey" - growth is change - either inside a relationship from rebooting and improving the dynamic of the relationship or by moving on.

Fascination - your new avatar ROCKS!

17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

For me, partner dancing in a long term partnership involves some type or multiple types of bonds; whether it be mutual competitive goals, respect, enjoyment, like/love, and/or financial reasons. The bond can be different for each side of the partnership obviously. So depending on which reason you are in the partnership for, it will be easier or harder to break that bond.

In each of my partnerships with pros I found it difficult to lose that bond; however, in each of those situations I moved on to a new partnership that developed my dancing to a higher, more evolved state. So I know now that the choice of a new partnership is an opportunity to continue evolving....something that allows me to value the old partnership but continue moving on without too much regret.

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Little watcher, how do you alternate between two teachers? Do you do a different style with each teacher?

19. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

I had the best first teacher---who was my first mentor, and eventually a very close friend.

A very capable high-level teacher, I was lucky she took me in as a beginner.
    This Englishwoman drilled me constantly on English-style basics, sent me to study with other teachers to gain wider and different points-of-view, and taught me to prepare for dance life after competition.

And she was there for the long haul too.
    While she "passed" me on to several coaches of international repute and calibre, she was always there at the sidelines rooting for me (all through my competitive dancing she would go to my comps just to see me and provide motivation and focus).

I miss her advice, her friendship, and her presence in my life.

m

20. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

My first teacher was wonderful- she was a very strong dancer and really conveyed a passion for ballroom which just made it so much fun. As I progressed through my club, however, I eventually began taking from our advanced coach (my first teacher's coach as well).
    I consider him to be my first real "coach" and his is fantastic. However, while out of town over summer break, I began taking at a local studio.
    There are two owners of the studio, and I take lessons from both.
    I agree with littlewatcher. It is quite useful, especially since one is male and the other is a lady. It really allows me to get several different perspectives on the same issue.