General Dance Discussion > your favorite dance movies

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ivyvaine23, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

Just wondering if you have any dance movies/documentaries you would consider your favorites? To be honest with you, I dislike most of the movies that features dancing, but ironically, it was a movie that first got me into dancing and inspired me to dance, was Billy Elliot. I was like 7 or 8 when I first saw it and I knew that this is what I wanted to do with my life.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

If I had to pick one about ballroom dancing, I would say it would be Strictly Ballroom which was produced in Australia. And then there is no shortage of movies featuring Fred Astaire and his partners that are a great joy to watch.

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

And the thing is, FA was not IMO a handsome man. I wonder if Hollywood would even look at him today.

4. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

Strictly Ballroom is also one of my faves. I guess you're referring to the Baz Luhrmann one from 1992?

5. pascal

pascal Active Member

L'acrobate by Jean-Daniel Pollet.

ivyvaine23 likes this.
  6. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

That's also one of my faves as well.

7. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

"The Red Shoes" and the original "Shall we dance?"

8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Singin in the rain... Donald O'Connors solo ( by the way, he really did not want to dance again. A good friend of mine knew him, and told me this )

Akylas likes this.
  9. Caroline Skipper

Caroline Skipper New Member

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Today?

Note on an early screen test for Astaire for MGM, who declined to sign him: "Can't act; slightly bald; can dance a little." Even back then he was a hard sell. (Nowdays it would mostly be there's little/no market for a musical performer like Astaire or Kelly. It's easier to dub a voice and train a non-dancer to look good enough.)

And my favorite dance movie is Center Stage.

11. tancos

tancos Active Member

Stormy Weather (at the very end).