Where to West Coast Swing in L.A.?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by waltzgirl, May 5, 2010.

1. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

My sister, an avid wcs dancer, will be visiting Los Angeles in October and would like to go dancing.

Any suggestions where she should go?

Thanks!

2. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

For cold calling

* http://www.swingdancecouncil.com/ActiveServerPages/DanceInstructors.asp

My guess is that your best starting point is to get in touch with the Orange County folks

* http://www.ocwcsdc.com/

There used to be a seriously heavyweight Sunday night social dance at... Memories? Definitely worth the drive up from San Diego. I can find evidence that it still exists - not at that venue, anyway.

3. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

4. kpm

kpm New Member

Top Cats every Sunday night in Placentia.
    Swingin' the Blues every Thursday in Irvine.
    Sonny Watson holds a dance every Wednesday in Reseda.

Depending on what week she is in town, there is a once-per-month dance in Santa Monica at Monsoons night club which is awesome.

5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

wellllll, which part of Los Angeles is she visiting and how far will she travel? There are lots of WCS available. Also, a new night for WCS is starting up in Burbank, according to Jay Baym from People Who Dance. Maybe check out the People Who Dance website.

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Thanks for the info--keep it coming!

She'll be in the San Fernando Valley/West LA. But since there's virtually no wcs where she is living now, she'll be happy to drive for a good dance!

7. 3wishes

Woodland Hills then Waltzgirl. You or your sister can contact Jay via People Who Dance. Buddy and Jay put on alot of things and have established many social dance nights throughout the San Fernando Valley. Venues tend to change depending on what's available.

8. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the monthly venues that will be relatively WLA/W valley friendly:

phil's dance at the hacienda is either the 1st or 2nd sat. of the month starting at 8pm. i especially enjoy the DJ (jack smith) there.

trish connery just started a monthly dance in burbank 1st friday of the month.

ben morris' dance at the monsoon cafe is usually the last tuesday of the month, though it wasn't last month.

JB has also just started a 4th sunday dance out in agoura at the chapter 8 night club.
    ====
    the most popular weekly stuff includes:
    - borderline in thousand oaks on mondays (JB) & wednesdays (joe 't-shirt') 8:30pm;
    - Tue- Sat at the hacienda in el segundo (it's salsa on sundays) www.haciendahotel.com
    - the ubiquitous wednesday lesson & dance with sonny watson in reseda;
    - thursdays at atomic ballroom in irvine (it's a LONG way from the west valley);
    - sundays at topcats in placentia;

i don't think that they're dancing at skinnys in n. hollywood on tuesdays anymore. that was with ben morris - and the floor was just too small.

9. kpm

kpm New Member

No, that dance closed down late last year which is a shame since it was in a very convenient location. The tiny dance floor was the only downside.

10. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

bump

My sister's visit is coming up in a couple weeks. Any new info/updates?

Thanks!

11. 3wishes

Atomic Ballroom in Orange County. Imperial Ballroom in Fullerton on Sundays(orange county again). see if you can check out the "dance buddies" newsletter on the web. It lists all the places to dance, dates, times, the kind of swing (lindy vs west coast)
    There are a few places - one in Burbank - closer to San Fernando Valley. The newsletter was recently distributed at the Dance Camp. better yet - you might try the web site www.peoplewhodance.net many times they will list a new or upcoming gathering, workshop etc. And I know they were going to host one in Santa Barbara I just don't know what the date was.

12. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

btw, i actually do the ballroom portion of the dance buddies newsletter.

beyond the stuff i mentioned previously:

the dance at monsoons died, btw. ben morris is now doing 2nd tuesdays at memories in whittier. http://www.socalswingdance.com/swingintheclub.htm

according to : http://www.connexionsdancestudio.com/Poinsettia-west-coast-swing-dances.htm

there's a dance in thousand oaks 2nd sat. at the goebbel center which is relatively convenient to the west SF valley.

and dave koppelman DJ's the 4th saturday dance in lomita at regency ballroom.

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Another resource would be Nancy Lester's list at http://ocdance.com/thisweek.html. It covers most all forms of social dancing, not just WCS, and even though it mainly concentrates on Orange County, it does mention some LA events and venues.

Top Cats in Placentia (OC, right near the 91 and 57) has a big WCS event every Sunday.

And if you don't mind the music, country venues also include WCS.

14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

top cats is probably the closest OC venue, and it's 45 miles from the intersection of the 101 & 405. and if you're starting from WLA, good luck; the 10E & 405 S both become parking lots around 2:30pm on weekdays.

i've never been myself, but there's WCS dancing 1st/3rd/5th sundays in long beach at the golden sails hotel in long beach. you can find more info and some more dances listed at: http://www.laswingdanceclub.com/

you could leave there at 6pm and go to the pressbox in westminster.
    http://www.westcoastswingdanceclub.org/

15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

word is that doug silton is starting up there again starting tuesday october 19th. given his track record involving dance venues, time will tell if it's still going come 2011.

16. kpm

kpm New Member

Doug and Pete Green are starting a new event with a rotating venue. The first dance is at Skinny's. Subsequent dances will be at different places.

17. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

for someone in town just for october, that's not going to matter as much. and frankly, i only mentioned it because this person will be visiting in town only for october, and this person apparently really wants to dance.

i stand by my observation that any venue with which silton's been involved has not done well. no one dares say it out loud, but the general consensus is that silton's has managed to alienate people by some of the things he does, which is not a good thing when paying customers can take their business elsewhere. i observed an example of that firsthand when silton tried to run that 9-11 WCS/11-1am blues night in pasadena - one night, around 11:30, a good half hour into the blues portion, silton was still playing WCS music, and when a paying customer who came in at 11pm expecting blues music asked him about it, silton actually responded by saying that he was "playing WCS for his *friends*". i'm pretty sure that that person never went back, and i don't blame them.

18. kpm

kpm New Member

That's an odd thing to say given the success of Lindy Groove. Perhaps you and I have radically different interpretation of the phrase "done well."

Anyway, Where's Westie debuted last night at Skinny's in North Hollywood. Good crowd, good music and a good energy. We'll see if it continues.

19. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

let's re-define involved as "any situation where he had a principal say in how things were run". that was never the case at LG IIRC. he taught the intermediate lesson for a while IIRC, but also IIRC, the class didn't draw that many people compared to the numbers that showed up just to dance. if you feel loyalty to him for whatever reason, fine. i'm just saying that he'd inspire loyalty from more people if he behaved differently but he's not the only one that way in the westie community.