What kind of dance should I learn?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by nirojs, Oct 22, 2010.

1. nirojs

nirojs New Member

I'm completely new to dancing, I have never ever danced before in my life. I wish to learn how to dance so if ever a girl wants to dance, I'm not standing there looking at the floor.
    My university has really cheap student courses.
    I want to learn a dance that shows class, I hate club stuff like grinding.
    I want one that makes me look sophisticated and classy. I'd also prefer something fast paced since I get bored easy. Also I'm super shy and I want to change that, I dislike getting touched and hugging people as well, I really want to change that.

The only hobby I've ever done is amateur boxing and I've competed for 3 years and I'm really good with skip ropes. I would have chosen mma but I hate rubbing up against other guys ugggh.

I did some research and salsa looked pretty good, What do you guys suggest? Also is there any like etiquette that a newb should know before I go to my first class.

2. megeliz

megeliz Member

For me, it's all about the music. Learn to dance to the music that you like. Do you like salsa music? Great, learn salsa! Like swing music? Learn East Coast Swing or Lindy Hop! Want to learn to dance in a classier way to the stuff you hear in clubs? Learn Hustle or West Coast Swing! Decide what kind of music you'll want to hear for hours on end every night you dance, and learn to dance to it.

3. nirojs

nirojs New Member

Wow thanks for the suggestions, lindy hop looks amazing, these dancers are on crack!!

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Pick the kind of music that appeals to you and start there. Or go online and watch videos of ballroom dancing and salsa dancing and west coast swing dancing and argentine tango and lindy and country...and see what appeals to you. Go to a variety of beginner classes and see what catches your fancy.

5. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Ditto to suggestions above...pick a dance that appeals to your taste in music and your personality. Because you're college-age and you want a fast-paced dance, it sounds like salsa or swing probably would be the best choices for partner dancing.

Keep in mind that your partner has to know the dance too. I mean, if you're talking about attending a college dance with people who have not been in dance classes, they won't know how to salsa or swing dance with you. You will need to attend the dance with a partner (such as someone you meet in dance class), or, you can attend dances that are meant for specific dance styles. I don't know where you're located, but most places have venues for salsa, swing or ballroom dance. Good luck!

6. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Salsa!! :D

Yeah, I admit. That's a biased response because I'm a Salsa nut. But yeah, everyone here is right. Take whatever you're interested in. If you're not sure, try them all out and see which you like. A lot of studios offer these general Ballroom and Latin classes where they teach the basic stuff on all the dances. Perhaps you may want to try a couple of those classes and you'll find your calling. It took me a while before I knew that I wanted to take Salsa. I took all different kinds like Rumba, Swing, Cha Cha, Bachata, Salsa, and Merengue. After that, I knew that I wanted to concentrate on Salsa.

7. nirojs

nirojs New Member

Are swing and salsa classes full of more girls than guys like what's the ratios. I know I know we come to classes to dance, but dancing is used to attract women. I won't be hitting on girls 24/7 but it would be nice to meet a nice girl or two.

8. Generally the dance classes I've taken over the years (mostly salsa, but also a little swing and a very little Argentine tango, and some non-partner dancing as well) have more often had more females than more males, sometimes by a pretty large margin. However, I have found that more true of the beginner level classes than the intermediate classes. So, at the very least, you will probably be fine in beginner's classes. There's no real guarantee, however. But I will say that learning to dance has turned out to be a great way to meet women.

I also would add that while people are, very reasonably, advising you to take classes in a dance with music that appeals to you, you may want to at least try some dances with music you don't especially like, since learning to dance to a particular form of music can radically alter how you hear it. That's how it was with salsa, which I mostly didn't even like when I started taking classes in it. (At least, I had disliked it for most of my life. I might have been neutral but curious by the time I started taking the dance classes.)

9. megeliz

megeliz Member

It depends on where you are, really. Most scenes have more girls than guys. Age-wise, the Lindy/Blues scenes tend toward the younger college or near college age set. In New England, the average age for a West Coast Swing dancer is around 40, but in other parts of the country, it's much younger. Salsa, I have no clue - can't stand the music. Your best bet in that regard is to go out to the individual scenes and check them out.

10. Dots

Dots Active Member

One question that might be worth asking around; what kind of dance clubs are in your area? If you intend to learn only one dance then maybe picking one that is danced locally would be a good idea. That way you can take what you learn and use it socially.

11. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

For "sophisticated and classy", ballroom is your best bet.

12. v22TTC

v22TTC New Member

Nirojs: Since you asked about dance class etiquette, and expressed an interest in meeting women, I'd point out that (YMMV etc) folks in a dance class are allowing an awful lot of things that they ordinarily wouldn't tolerate too easily: very close physical proximity to strangers, 'making fools of themselves' publicly, and receiving public criticism - I have found that that gets balanced out by a profound guardedness (and even suspicion) the moment the class finishes... whatever the class' publicity might say about 'meeting new friends in a fun atmosphere', it's often pure BS and you should leave your class-mates alone.

Perceived vulnerability will often generate defensiveness.

If it's drop-in classes, you may find this being the case every single week (you may be the only one who returns) - if it's a pre-paid block of classes, the barriers eventually go down, as long as you are not perceived as being too full-on/friendly/carnally-motivated etc at the beginning... let the women approach you in their own time, if that's what you want to happen [I don't].

It needn't be as severe as I've perhaps made it sound, but you'll be doing yourself a huge favour in checking out some of the very many blogs that cover dance etiquette; including what women want/don't want from the guys they're dancing with - stick to that and that'll give you your best chance....

13. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

a lot of guys dance to meet women, but when it comes to the type of social dancing discussed in this particular forum, most beginners seldom understand that should you pursue dance classes, you will be learning not to dance as much as you will be learning how to *lead*, that is to say, to develop the skills needed to be able to communicate with your dance partner so that you move together as a couple. in some ways, it's like learning a new language - especially when it comes to trying to speak with someone who does not know that language.

moreover, there is generally a high learning curve for guys before they become proficient enough to lead well enough to contribute to their partner having a good time.

finally, there's usually greater motivation to learn a dance when you like the type of music typically played for that kind of dance - but you are also limited to that kind of music to dance to. (west coast swing is different, but it is almost impossible to dance WCS with a partner who does not know it. it's the only dance i won't try and lead if my partner doesn't know it.)

having said all that: i would pose the questions:

- *where* would you expect to use your new skills at dancing? if you learn salsa, you will be dancing primarily to salsa music. if you don't expect to go specifically to a salsa dance venue, (or if there aren't any where you are) you will seldom have a dance to use the skills you may develop. ditto for any other formal dance genre that may have been mentioned. and at such formal dance venues, where formal dance etiquette is observed, meeting women is more a means than an end; asking someone to dance implies no romantic interest, nor does accepting an invitation to dance - and it's considered rude to try and monopolize someone over the course of an evening.

- if you are hoping to develop skills that you might be able to use at a typical party/gathering this is *not* primarily a social dance venue, that's a completely different animal; i'd expect it to be more american top 40/hiphop/trance/basic thumpa-thumpa-thumpa music at a tempo from, what, say 90-120 beats per minute? if that's the case, you might want to try ceroc. it's kind of a french (c'est rock) modern dance that's a cross between jive/swing and four count hustle, and because the footwork is quite simple, you should find it a reasonably simple matter to lead a complete beginner through simple figures once you reach a certain level of skill at it - and you can dance it to the type of you music you might expect at a typical party that is not explicitly a social dance venue. the only problem is that it probably won't be offered as a class where you matriculate. but there might be a ceroc club on campus.

i hope this helps.

14. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I'm another biased salsa fanatic BUT definitely learn salsa, it's going to be the most fun and easiest way to meet girls who think you're cool. Seriously. Haha.

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, great advice! :cheers: When I first started actually taking lessons (after dancing ECS and Lindy for a while), I would put on songs that I liked and ask what dances you could do to them. That was just a start, as I started liking more and more different dances and the music that went with them! :)

16. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Start with nightclub two step. It does everything you seem to want. Most studios teach it now. Also, almost any woman that shows up to a dance can do it.

17. major swing

major swing Member

take up lindy or boogie woogie, or better still both..........
    it could just change your life it did ours!!!!:cool:

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

We have a good college crowd at our most popular Lindy venue in town...

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Salsa and Swing / Lindy are both good for social dancing...