Ballroom Dance > What I Learned At My Last Comp

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, May 3, 2009.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Learned that when i'm struggling during a multi, the best thing for me and rhythm pro to do is NOT SPEAK AT ALL TO EACH OTHER. My brain fell out during the rhythm heats, and i spent the 10 seconds or so between each dance trying to refocus. since my pro gets snippy really quick, and then i lose my temper just as easily, it helped so much to just not even acknowledge that he existed until the next song started. Also learned that I have FINALLY learned how to recover quickly and hide my screwups. Rhythm was a little rocky, but a couple of people whose opinions I valued said that they didn't see the disaster that I felt (unlike previous disaster comps). And even my video was not as cringeworthy! amazing. Smooth was MUCH improved, finally. I think my brain fell out in rhythm because my legs and I were more tired after smooth than usual, and because i didn't walk through my routines fully by myself. I MUST DO THAT. also, i can enjoy west coast swing during a social when i'm dancing with the right person. otherwise, i hate it.

Sania, Dance Redeemer and j_alexandra like this.
  2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

You looked so beautiful out there!!

j_alexandra and 3wishes like this.
  3. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

That I need to practice dancing on a too-sticky floor.o_O About 3/4 of the way through my brain and body finally got in sync in handling it, but by then I was getting tired (I seem to be getting a little sick). However, there was a lot I was really pleased with. This was a team match, which I count as a less expensive than usual competition. We won, so I was happy. :D

My performance goal is to look like I feel like a confident dancer even when my dancing doesn't necessarily warrant it, and I've definitely made progress in that regard. I did swear twice while on the floor, but can't have everything.;)

Purr and scullystwin42 like this.
  4. RiseNFall

I did say to Pro once during a multi, "Just don't say anything." He obliged. ;)

scullystwin42 likes this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Blargh. I've grown very accustomed to fast floors. Dancing on a sticky floor, even after I get used to it, is just not much fun.

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

They're an advantage for like the first 30 seconds before your feet start to hurt.

Mr 4 styles and cornutt like this.
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

A) getting ready at home rather than hotel room is soooo much better.
    B) traffic is still traffic even with a Fast Trac device that early in the morning, while false eyelash pokes me in eye. Geez.
    C) pro believes I can “just follow”when he suddenly has no choice (because of floor crowd) to flip things around. Lol, snicker, wink resulting in good fake job on my part. HA.
    D) drive home LATE at night is still traffic! Good lord, really?
    E) just had fun!

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

ftfy

9. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Learned that even when I absolutely do feel i am looking up the whole dang time i am on the floor, it's still not looking like it enough :/ also that there is still a disconnect from what i feel i am doing vs what is actually visible. However, also learned that I am improving in smooth again and that despite placing 4th in both open and closed smooth scholarships, i am still happy with my dancing. Ladies B smooth is a tough field.

10. RiseNFall

All the hard work geared towards competing, rather than "just" dancing better, is definitely paying off. Of course, dancing better doesn't hurt anything, either. ;)

3wishes and bia like this.