Ballroom Dance > What are you excited about in your dancing right now?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Such a bummer!! Sorry!

dancelvr likes this.
  2. Trumpets Go!

Trumpets Go! New Member

I'm excited when I performed well :)

3. scullystwin42

Well, first FA national under my belt! just did smooth this time. I was pleased with my dancing and results. Opens were good but a bit choppy in parts, i think mainly due to the fact that i only had about 10 or so lessons on them with my new open smooth pro, lol. Would have liked to placed a little better in the closed silver champ and scholarship, but i will have to be happy with the fact that i took 1st in one dance of the multi! Also loved the new dress from a lovely DF'er. Watched my video, and the first time i watched it, I was so happy to see it looked good. but why is it that each time i watch it again/show it to someone, i see even more mistakes?! :):p:p

nikkitta and RiseNFall like this.
  4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Hey, don't short change yourself: was actually the FADS World Championship. ;) I've never competed at it, but from what I have seen from results, the competition is stiffer than at the medium sized NDCA comps, so congratulations!

scullystwin42 likes this.
  5. scullystwin42

Thanks! I compete in A, so I had some competition, but not as much as I had hoped, lol. 2nd in open smooth scholarship and championship, so HAI that was fun. (not-so-humblebrag there). i did get two firsts on my current main competition (she's from my region!) in closed, which i will hang my hat on!

j_alexandra and RiseNFall like this.
  6. scullystwin42

Um, followup brag - saw the pics from Ryan Kenner and my lines look the best i've seen :jawdrop:. that's nice to see :)

7. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

First time out on the comp floor with new pro, danced Silver Smooth at Heart of America. Quite pleased with how things went! :)

j_alexandra, cornutt, Sania and 3 others like this.
  8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I'm just having so much fun at the moment. After being very careful for a while, my feet seem to be holding up to dancing more. The studio is running some terrific classes and I'm at the studio 5 days a week at the moment (including one day when I'm practicing while my mother takes a lesson--I drive her there). I have a competition next week and a lot of what I'm learning won't be solid for it, but I'm still really excited about the progress I'm making--thus, I'm sort of looking past this competition to future events. Next one after comp is a team match in mid-October and I'll be doing some smooth with the New Guy I usually do rhythm with and some rhythm with the New Guy I usually do smooth with. Should be fun and illuminating. And I'm doing primarily rhythm with Pro. Despite the fact that we are supposed to be doing both smooth and rhythm, we generally spend more time on smooth, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

cornutt likes this.
  9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Been getting a ton of help from my coach on how to plan my practices (including picking what to practice) and it's been really great! Having a plan before I get there has been amazing for my focus and effort level, and making the right progress!

Also, discovering that, for me, not using my standing leg properly seems to be a common thread in any areas that just feel a little off or never seem to go right to full speed.

Solo round at the end of practice yesterday was the best I've felt in my choreo, ever! At one moment I ended up thinking "did I forget to set the music for full speed?" because it felt so easy and controlled. Answer was nope, that's just how successful the technical info I've worked into my body is!

dlliba10, cornutt, Sania and 2 others like this.
  10. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Body, body, body! Most exciting! Learning to let my body do the dancing, and allow the feet to go where they need to. Amazing insight - each coaching session, it seems, is a major breakthrough!

cornutt, RiseNFall and j_alexandra like this.
  11. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Hopefully I helped with some of that ^_^ (I was one of his photogs!)

scullystwin42 and Sania like this.
  12. scullystwin42

That's awesome! Not sure which are yours, but great job!! I didn't know anyone from DF was there, i would have loved to say hi!

13. scullystwin42

oh hai me again on this thread, lol. performed my mambo this past friday in my cool new top from danceshopper/dancebox and it went well! Even got a compliment from my teacher, which is rare and unusual and therefore means a lot. Good, considering it's only been about 3 weeks since i've learned it - the end was a bit wobbly, and i had thinking face through some of it, but this is a nice confidence builder for comp in March!

14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Excited / terrified. Partner and I share similarly audacious goals. And we're planning to use a guest coaching this coming weekend to get a clear picture of what needs to be done for us to hit our 1-year and 2-year goals. On the one hand I'm excited for clear action steps; on the other, I'm terrified to actually say to someone how high I'm aiming.

Sania, cornutt, scullystwin42 and 5 others like this.
  15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

It's not definite yet, but it's looking an awful lot like Emerald is going to be my next comp. Going to be a busy year for me!

Sania, MaggieMoves, cornutt and 3 others like this.
  16. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

Showcase coming up on Feb 11. It's show number through and through, hardly any closed work, and a great big gimmicky prop. Its been fun getting ready for it. :)

MaggieMoves, IndyLady and raindance like this.
  17. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Few things:
    1. Foot FINALLY healed up and nearly back to full strength
    2. Coaching lessons with some very high ranked pros later this month
    3. Charity event I'm dancing in - get to dance with an older pro for free.
    4. New Latin dress fits perfectly

February is looking pretty good dance wise for me. :)

chomsky, Sania, j_alexandra and 3 others like this.
  18. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Hi Skullytwin42,
    Sorry to hear this too. Maybe my own experience will help your feelings. Hugs.

What I wanted was to know HOW to move and dance like a professional. The videos, and most teachers I have had were not able to tell me precisely what needs to happen in the body to execute every move. Everything fell short and I was struggling, but NOW I am learning natural body movement, which is then techniqued to the particular dance I'm dancing at the time. It makes dancing so incredibly EASY! Easy to get that look I had always wanted.

It is my opinion that most are like me, their goals in dance are elusive, and are manifested in terms like exercise, or competing, or just want to be a good social dancer. But they will not really know what they want until it happens... I want to know if anyone has found out what they really want, and what that is.

chomsky and scullystwin42 like this.
  19. Sunsetdancer

Sunsetdancer Member

Wow! Hope you do well!

20. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

Shownight!!! It was fun (if not quite perfect)