Wedding dance lessons - plus gift registry item?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Should I get them something from their gift registry?

1. No. You're doing enough. Go forth without shame.

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Yes. And don't be a cheapskate and buy one spoon out of a set of 12!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I've been invited to a wedding. I'll be performing music for the bridal processional. I'm also teaching the father of the bride dance. I may teach the bride and groom dance as well.

Should I get them something from their gift registry?
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Did you volunteer all of this, or were you asked?
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think you do what you feel you want to do...those are certainly gifts, regardless....
  4. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

I would say if you do teach the bride and groom to dance then no, but if you don't then yes (BUT I would get something not expensive, more at the lower end of the price range - if possible).
    danceronice and Larinda McRaven like this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i gave two couples wedding dance as a gift choreoed it myself and then taught it to them with my pro teaching the lady

10 lesson ( per couple)... i think that was enough
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Exactly. I think the dance is plenty. If you feel moved to give more,that's fine, but there's no need to feel obligated.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

this
  8. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Dance lessons AND music is more than enough. Both are services that would normally have them paying out the, uh, behind. I don't know how much live music costs, but DJs can charge in the $100s just for ceremony music, especially if the ceremony and reception are in different locations. Unless your bride is a bridezilla (or a couplezilla, I guess) there should be no offense.

If you're worried, you might give them a low-cost gift that subtly reminds them of your more expensive and time-consuming gift. E.g. a CD with a recording of the song you played, a book on ballroom dancing (with inscription referencing the lessons you gave them), etc.

Too late for it now, but in this situation it's best to say something like "it will be my gift to you," right off the bat, so it establishes the idea that this is a gift instead of a favor.
    danceronice likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

that is what i did!
    dbk likes this.
  10. pygmalion

What a nice idea. :)
  11. Terpsichorean Clod

Asked by the bride for the processional music. Volunteered for the dance. Though if I hadn't offered, they probably would have asked. I have a history of giving lessons to their family (multiple lessons for the bride's parents, one previous lesson for the current couple, and bride/groom, MoG, and FoB lessons when the bride's sister got married).
  12. Terpsichorean Clod

Thanks for all the input, everyone!
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think you'll have done enough!
  14. Terpsichorean Clod

Heh, I was kinda figuring any teaching might be perceived as the usual, expected thing, rather than as an extra/gift. :)
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps an idea would be to present the dancers with a "certificate of completion" as a physical reminder that they received something from you...
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  16. pygmalion

I would hope not, but I understand why you might be concerned about that. If it's of real concern to you, then why not go with the suggestion someone made earlier and go with a modestly/lower-priced item from their registry, just to be safe?
  17. Terpsichorean Clod

Just found out. The FoB dance is waltz. To live music. I have 400 sq. ft. of square floor space to work with. Concrete. :eek:
  18. fascination

whisk actions in place maybe ? then doing some hand to hand?
  19. fascination

like cantering? (sp?)
  20. Terpsichorean Clod

Is that 5th position breaks?
    Patty cakes?
    Three weight changes over two measures? - like [12][3][123]?

I need a smooth-standard, standard-smooth dictionary. :D