Ballroom Dance > US Pro/Am Dance Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

It's scary and hilarious at the same time, like an Amway pitch from a stranger at the supermarket. The only thing missing is a stock photo of a BMW.

dbk and FancyFeet like this.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

If one registers as a "pro" at this event (or any really).... and then tries to dance amateur anywhere else... it will come back to haunt you as you try to protest your innocence when someone challenges why you are trying to pass yourself off as an am when obviously you register and compete as a pro.

It just doesn't make sense to flip flop.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. Larinda McRaven

The thing about competition like this is that there is a market for everyone. And obviously LOTS of people... students, teachers, studios... love this event, and Cathy.

4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

"registered with the US government as the official United States Pro/Am ballroom dance championships"

uh, OK. So? (and why is it listed as occurring in BARCELONA SPAIN in August then?)

Hedwaite likes this.
  5. Hedwaite

Valid point and thanks for not being preemptively admonitory and judgmental (I'm sure we all live with some pretty awkward mistakes and bad alliances that we wish we could strike from the past...) of my morbid curiosity and questioning (why don't they just do like every other small comp though, and have an am bracket too? and how can you NOT wonder when you see a site layout from 199Lame?), but in the end, the whole website and the way they assume that any teacher coming across it was interested in immediately pimping themselves out for moneymoneymoney to the point of looking ridiculously comical and desperate was a sufficiently discouraging factor.

(edited for structure slash clarity)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Hed, sending you a PM shortly.

7. Hedwaite

Cornutt, thank you for giving me the straight dope.

cornutt likes this.
  8. novemberecho

novemberecho Member

plz share trip report with us :)

Loki and FancyFeet like this.
  9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

That website gave me 15 enjoyably wasted minutes. Good times.

And wow. As a pro-amer, I now have absolutely zero desire to go to that... except maybe as a spectator, for the sheer entertainment value!

Hedwaite likes this.
  10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

The Mixed Social Ease category actually sounds pretty awesome. Make it an am/am event and I would totally do it. :)

11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I love it! A competition heat with 'drunk people staggering about, people smoking, and talking loudly on their cell phones' on the comp floor while you try to dance thru the 'inconsiderate waiters'. A medal that I would be proud to display on my mantle!

SwayWithMe likes this.
  12. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Well-Known Member

I went to one of these in 2007ish I think in Orlando. It was the most rinky dink comp I have ever went to. Giant blow up Christmas lawn ornaments surround the ballroom and stuffed animals on the judges table. It looked like a reception hall you would see on my big fat American gypsy wedding lol.

13. Larinda McRaven

Even though it may be a more social style of competition than what some of us are used to please us the same consideration DF expects when you speak of teachers and studios that cater to a social crowd.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  14. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Altho candor is most welcomed when talking here… right?

15. Hedwaite

It's kind of sad that you'd equate the aforementioned tacky and trappy atmosphere with a social dance, considering social dances don't do any of this romper room crap, either. I don't really see anything "social" about this competition as labeled by the jury here at DF, unless you guys just go to some really weird social venues. It's doing for pro-am dancing what Baz's Strictly Ballroom did for competition, period- it's cartoonizing all the worst aspects of it for laughs.

SwayWithMe and Bailamosdance like this.
  16. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Theme social dances, maybe. Like, "luau night" with tacky grass skirts and cheap plastic decorations. Totally acceptable for a dorky fun social dance every once in a while... not so much for a competition.

17. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::rofl:

From the site:

dancelvr, nikkitta and SwayWithMe like this.
  18. Larinda McRaven

out of date information unfortunately.

19. Larinda McRaven

I will rephrase my post to make hedwaite happy, maybe.

Even though this competition may be of a different standard than what some of us are used to please speak using the same consideration DF expects when you speak of teachers and studios that cater to a crowd with different standards.

Hedwaite likes this.
  20. Hedwaite

Exactly, DBK, but I don't feel like that was the point she was trying to get across. Maybe further back-editing will clarify that. It seemed to imply that there was a general notion that all social dance situations were gaudy like that as opposed to certain occasional events like 50's, luau, etc., and maybe it's just professional detachment, but that's really not usually the case. Most socials I've been to have been simple table-cloth and occasional lit candle affairs, whereas competitions are the ones with noisemakers and stray rhinestones everywhere (not that I mind that- I have a whole collection of them I use for when I need one! I've probably saved two dollars in the past five years :-D )