Ballroom Dance > Unconventional Dance Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NeoDevin, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

Not-so-slow drag:

Tokyo Machine - Spooky

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying... this is why it's in the "unconventional music" thread in that I thought you could dance to it using VW, not necessarily saying that this piece is classic VW. I'm glad you like the piece - i find it really moving myself.

Larinda McRaven and opendoor like this.
  3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

The tempo on this is glacial. I tried upping it to comp tempo when Miss Silly first posted it and it just sounded ... well ... silly.

4. Miss Silly

Booooo it did? I trust your judgement. Thanks for posting that though, now i can just let it go.... *sniff. LOL ;-P

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Miss Silly

Okay so here's an old song, that i heard play at a practice over the summer (i don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere but it's probably already on some playlists):

-another stab at VW LOL -

6. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

I haven't been on the scene long enough to know whether it's unconventional or not, but at our tech class we dance rumba technique to Autumn Leaves by Cecile Bredie.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I´ve always been surprised or astonished what you call unconventional, or stab. Lately I understand and I swear, this is my last answer and I will stop commenting from now on. Its my impression that you approach a piece of music on the basis of ten common dances. I do it exactly the other way round. I hear a track and start sorting my dance vocabulary to meet the atmosphere of that music. So your answer is "unconventional", whereas my answer might be "overstrained". Put in a nutshell, for me the music comes first, and the appropriate steps secondarily. I have additional waltz categories: Boston waltz, Mazurian Waltz, Country Waltz, Landler, ... and I find, all these sorts comprise highly conventional dance music.

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Well as a ballroom dancer we basically have two tempos for waltz (4 if you are picky) to choose from. Slow Waltz or Viennese Waltz... slow or fast. So when she says viennese she is more or less talking tempi. Not choreography, style or genre.

Miss Silly and Requiem like this.
  9. Miss Silly

When i'm making playlists for competition simulations, i have to approach it as "what music can fit into the tempo and relative characterization" of one of these 10 dances, and because we're only practicing those dances I don't focus on other styles. And 'unconventional' (just IMO) in this circumstance, is all the songs that I don't typically hear played at competitions.

Does that help? :) i don't listen to spotify trying to put all music i hear into one of the ten LOL. But in this circumstance (and participation in this thread) I'm looking to constantly add to playlists to specifically practice the 10 ballroom competition dances.

Requiem and opendoor like this.