Ballroom Dance > Unconventional Dance Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NeoDevin, Jan 1, 2004.

1. coolcallalily

coolcallalily New Member

I like those, thanks! :smile:

2. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I've had this on repeat lately.
    http://youtu.be/-ODp8sIHtWc

3. coolcallalily

coolcallalily New Member

This is what we decided to go with!!! :D Thank you for the suggestion. Now let the choreography commence...

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions on what to dance to Arcade Fire's "Abraham's Daughter"? Or have any leads on a tweaked danceable version? I love it, NP loves the idea (especially as my new Standard gown is VERY "Girl on Fire" and prefect for a Hunger Games showcase) but we cannot figure out what to do with the song. (As we've only got a bit more than a month we're going with a Rumba to "Salve" by Ronan Hardiman for this, but we're thinking ahead to the Spring showcase...)

5. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

It's always sounded very Paso-like in my head ...

EDIT: Derp, just read the Standard part of your post. Hrm ... VWaltz if you slow it down and syncopate the six beats across the 4/4?

6. regis

regis Active Member

West Coast music can sound ALOT like a cha cha, but inbetween the cha-cha-cha beats you can hear one section where you can do the rock step, cha cha cha, (and where the rock step should be, the length of the music will seem to long and really doesn't allow for the rock step to be done right), and cha cha cha again.
    good examples:
    Carrie Underwood's "Cowboy Cassanova"
    Huey Lewis – Respect Yourself
    Jon B. – Its U
    Journey – Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’
    Keny G – G-Walkin’
    Melissa Ethridge - I'm the Only One
    Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
    Seal - Here I am (Come and Take Me)
    and the one mentioned here a few times as a cha cha is really a WCS Gnarls Barlkey's "Crazy"

The dance is danced in a slot - as if the two of you were facing each other in a narrow hallway, and then any of the swing moves goes - using the 1,2, triple step footwork.

7. bleachkrazy

bleachkrazy New Member

So far, I've loved a lot of the suggestions on here.... my question is: Do any of you know of any good dubstep ballroom mixes? As a drummer/ competitive kickboxer that has started taking to ballroom dancing... I do like the more edgy type music... and the drummer in me loves heavy drums and bass. Thanks everyone!

8. regis

regis Active Member

look at page 4 in the thread simply titled "Music"

9. regis

regis Active Member

More of a "type of dance" question ...

is anyone familiar with Grit and Glamour's "Dos Divas"? a piece of it is Rumba music but then it breaks into something quick and switches back and forth a couple times. Is that Quickstep the music turns into?

The song just seems like it would be really fun to do a routine to.

10. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Not hearing what you are hearing... Both parts fall within American Rumba Comp speeds - 128-144bpm

11. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

On second listen, the slow sections maybe a little slow for Am Rumba at ~120...

12. regis

regis Active Member

Woohoo, thanks! The fast part really screws with my hearing ... but I like it. I'd love to pass it by my instructor. I'm sure we can do something with it, even tweek the speed if we have to.

13. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

Sounds like rumba to me, too, just at different tempos. Could be an interesting showcase number.

14. Xelebes

Xelebes New Member

Since people have remarked that there isn't much partnered dancing in rave music. . .

Jitterbug/Lindy Hop

DJ Rolando - Jaguar (technically a song you'd do the Detroit jit, but the song's clave can be interpreted as capable for a jitterbug or a lindy hop)

Balboa

Feint & Laura Brehm - We Won't Be Alone

Boogie

The Martian - Stardancer
    Apashe - No Twerk

Hustle

Green Velvet - La La Land

Charleston

Q Project - Champion Sound (Alliance Remix)
    Jackal & Hyde - This Is The Sound of Underground

Bunnyhug:

S3RL - Pretty Rave Girl

Turkey Trot:

B.O.B & Hayley Williams - Airplanes (UK Hardcore Mix)

Grizzly Bear:

Au5 & Tasha Baxter - Snowblind

Boston: (While I am sure people here can figure more competitive/spirited dances for these songs but eh. Sometimes the boston is all you need to do.)

Tut Tut Child & Augustus Ghost - Hummingbird
    Dabin & Koda - The Take Down

15. Mia

Mia Member

Excellent list of rave music Xelebes! One more song I want to add to the list which is one of my favourites.
    Nightcore - Mi Mi
    Mike - Faded Cha Cha (Remix)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 9:21 AM