Ballroom Dance > Unconventional Dance Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NeoDevin, Jan 1, 2004.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Alrighty, more pop songs. Impossible by Shontelle and Halo by Beyonce. What can you dance to these? I was thinking Bolero.. But are they too fast for that? American Rumba instead?

2. AndresL

AndresL Member

If someone is looking for some new hip songs converted into Latin or Ballroom then I can recommend a friend of mine from Estonia who has become a DanceSport DJ recently. He has released 3 latin albums and his first standard album will be released tomorrow. All of his albums and songs are free to download as of this moment.

You can find him on facebook under Dj Maksy Official and DjMaksyofficial on YouTube. He is very open to making a mixed version of recommended songs to his facebook page.

One of my favorites that I pass my time in Latin lessons: youtube com watch?v=eQeYCdFZufM&feature=youtu.be :)

If someone's interested and wants the links for the albums, PM me

3. Terciel

Terciel Member

"Halo" works quite well as a rumba. I've heard it played at practice before, but it's a bit slower (~20 MPM) than rumba is technically supposed to be, so you may need to speed it up a little.

4. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF Terciel!

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Am loving Hard to Beat by Hard-Fi for Cha Cha at the mo. It's a bit rocky but fun, plus it slows down at the middle eight which is a nice chance to work in something unusual. :)

6. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

7. Yana

Yana Member

Drunk on Love by Rihanna for rumba. Love this song!

8. musicbrain

musicbrain Member

Good music can make all the difference in the world to your dancing...I like mixing it up a bit with different feelings that make me want to accentuate different things. Like practicing to a really modern techno-ish cha cha makes my feet and my arm styling way sharper.

Cha cha:
    Lady Gaga – Paparazzi, Poker Face, Just Dance
    Duffy – Mercy
    Nelly Furtado – Say It Right

Samba:
    Sean Paul – Get Busy
    Rihanna – Pon de Replay
    Karl Wolf – Africa (a bit slow)
    Lady Gaga - Alejandro (slow)

Int. Rumba:
    Adele – Set Fire to the Rain
    Maroon 5 – Secret
    Phil Collins – Just Another Day in Paradise

Viennese Waltz:
    Celtic Woman – The Voice
    Marianas Trench – Good to You (a bit slow)
    Avril Lavigne – Keep Holding On (slow)
    Seal - Kiss from a Rose (slow)

Jive:
    Britney Spears – Radar, Womanizer (both a bit slow) – or maybe triple swing?
    Rihanna – SOS (slow)
    FloRida - Right Round (slow)

Quickstep:
    K-Os – Crabbuckit (Or maybe single swing? or you can slow it down for an Int. Jive)
    Show Me How You Burlesque (from Cher/Christina Aguilera movie “Burlesque”)

Tango:
    Assassin’s Tango from Brangelina movie “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” (I think it’s available on one of the Casa Musica CDs)

A lot of stuff from Pitbull makes really good modern Merengue /nontraditional Cha Cha.

Also, I keep wanting to Foxtrot to Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black – but it slows down in the middle and screws me up. Would be great for a show, though, if you could choreograph that bit – or just cut it out entirely.

9. Terciel

Terciel Member

Thank you musicbrain, I got a few new ones from this list. A couple comments though.

I'm pretty sure all of these are too slow for jive. "Right Round" sounds good for West Coast swing, and the others all feel like East Coast Swing to me. You could certainly speed them up if you want, but they're good swings already.

This is definitely a quickstep. It's already on my quickstep playlist. :)

10. Lisamarie

Lisamarie New Member

Forum help....

Hello,

I'm brand new here. I'm sorry that I am adding to this post, which is unrelated to my question, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to start a post! I hope I'm not violating any kind of rule by posting an unrelated topic...but I just need to get a bit of direction.

Also, although I added a custom avatar photo...when I check my profile, it says my avatar status is "modifying".

Would anyone be willing to give me a few pointers?

11. Terciel

Terciel Member

Lisamarie, if you're having difficulties with your avatar or starting a thread, you can go to the FAQ section (link upper right of every page. Or if you still have issues, go to "Private Messages to Staff" from the main page.

Welcome to DF!

12. scullystwin42

That is an awesome video. Good song too! Love.

13. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Oh, tell me about it. Rocky Horror and Lindy hop in the same video, it's like someone made it just for me.

14. scullystwin42

I am intrigued by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Hee hee!

15. DancinBean

DancinBean New Member

Wondering what dances (if any) people think could be done to La Caution's The A La Menthe (the instrumental version)? Maybe samba? I'm at a loss for dances but I LOVE the song.

16. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

Suburbaknight - add in the Vampire Club at the end...be still my beating heart...love this video and Susan Lucci with the sailors!

17. Terciel

Terciel Member

It is possible to samba to this, or even international rumba. But I feel like the beat is not really right for either one. Personally call it WCS for lack of anything else that really works.

18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Had to listen to most of it before I started to like it for PBD; it's so clearly a fast hustle, kwim? But it's opened up a whole avenue of exploration for new, pop music for PBD.

Like. Now, to sell it to Teach. Not gonna be easy, I don't think. Mr. Traditional.

19. coolcallalily

coolcallalily New Member

Hi! Any fresh new unconventional ideas for FOXTROT? :)

20. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member