Ballroom Dance > Unconventional Dance Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NeoDevin, Jan 1, 2004.

1. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

yes.....

2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite "unconventional" examples...

Metallica - "Enter Sandman" - it's been listed here as a cha cha, but I like it better as a slow ECS, and as also stated elsewhere, "Nothing Else Matters" as a waltz.

Muse - several good picks here. "Uprising" for ECS; "Undisclosed Desires" for Cha Cha (or Rumba, you pick); or their version of "Feeling Good."

Eisley - my latest favorite discovery. What of all of their stuff could *not* be danced to? Their "Room Noises" album has everything from rumbas to quicksteps.

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Uhm, would Sebastian the crab singing 'Under the Sea' in The Little Mermaid work as a nice beginners' or social samba? :D

L

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

By strange coincidence, someone else has posted this as a samba on a different thread, so I guess the answer is yes! :D

L

5. Yana

Yana Member

I'm trying to find current Bolero music (pop/rock/hiphop/latin), can anyone recommend something that's not already in the music guide? I've done a search for this, but it doesn't turn up a lot. Thanks in advance!

6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

We discussed it a bit earlier in this thread - Secret by Maroon 5 is a recent bolero. And another pop one is Drive, by the Cars. That's all I got for ya.

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Im not quite sure what it is you are looking for.. Bolero thats Latin, but probably not heard on the"circuit " ? ... if yes, I got a bunch .

8. I'm loving Colourblind by Darius for cha cha cha at the mo...

9. Yana

Yana Member

scullystwin42 - thank you! Yes, I saw those in the thread.
    tangotime - I'm trying to build up my bolero playlist :) I think my favorite Bolero songs are "My All" by Mariah Carey and "Closer" by NIN

10. tangotime

I dont deal in Pop "latin ".. no need, when the music is not representative of the genre .

Listen to songs by Omara Portuondo or La Lupe, they have passion and fire ;many more e.g.

And yes, I know music is very subjective, and tastes vary .

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

It's been played at the UK Open a few times....I don't like it as a samba though...

12. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Really? At the UK Open? :D I think it would be great for kids or beginners, but at that level? Uhm......

13. ajiboyet

My sentiments exactly. Plus it was really slow.

I can't seem to find the video anymore on Youtube, but it was the pro latin finals of '05.

14. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Thanks for saying that. People often don't get that it's more than the tempo and the time signature that makes a song right for a particular dance. I listened to the Maroon 5 and Cars songs and neither of them is a Bolero.

15. tangoking

tangoking Member

Love this thread idea!

My first pick is the Matrix version of Crystal Method's "Trip Like I Do." Until the break, it's an awesome International Rumba!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9tF8OQ3Bho

about 1:30 until the break... maybe one day a brave dj will play this at a comp!

16. tangotime

Heres an interesting dichotomy.. if I recall correctly, there was a tango recorded using Guantanamera ( probably the most famous and most recorded indigenous latin song ).. and yet, it somehow didnt seem to "fit".

I do however, happen to have an album by Ruben Gonzales of B. Vista fame, that has THREE Q/steps on it ( and a F/t ) plus boleros and rumbas . .

17. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Ugh, I hope not. Might make an interesting show piece though.

18. tangotime

What I find really sad, is the lack of "real" latin music used in general ;( ya can blame the English for this one ! ). I have assoc. who still think Tea for 2 ,is the best Cha Cha !! .

19. ajiboyet

I've got Guantanamera in three different dances: Rumba (High Society Ballroom Orchestra), Cha Cha Cha (Akros Musica) and Tango (Bela Sanders). They're all good, for me.

20. tangotime

I happen to have it in 5.. however, it still seems out of place in the Tango genre .

Theres an interesting breakdown of meaning and origin ,on Salsa Forums .. music section