Ballroom Dance > Trends in lesson length and scheduling

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cornutt, Jun 4, 2017.

1. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

On the groups/privates question... I occasionally see private lessons taking place during group class, but it's not often and certainly not optimal for whoever is taking the private. My studio runs three different levels of group class at the same time and each one has their traditionally allotted space, so there's not much room to work around that.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when I started, 12plus years ago, the studio I was at did 50 minute lessons and the pros were pretty good at disappearing into the teachers' lounge the minute lessons were over...I have seen nothing but 45 minute lessons back to back for the past 8 years......as to groups...I don't mind having a private at the same time as a group class as long as space allows...otherwise, not so much...I never keep my pro a moment past my lesson time, I expect both he and my fellow students to do their best to do the same and I have rarely been disappointed

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

... @SDsalsaguy !!!!!

4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

The studio I frequent still runs on 55-minute lessons and group classes. They are never on time. It drives me crazy. One of the main pros will be running late and still take a break to eat, chat, etc. before the next lesson... making it not unusual for things to be more than 30 minutes behind by the last lesson/class of the day. I can't deal, and avoid the whole situation.

Pro makes a serious effort to be on time for me (I'm usually the first lesson), because he knows it's a thing for me, but his version of on time is still 10 minutes late... we actually have a rule that if he is running more than 15 minutes late, I get a text so I can adjust my warm-up accordingly (and, you know, not worry that he's been in an accident or something). The fact that we have a standing rule should tell you that it's not an infrequent occurrence ;)

When I go to a neighbouring city for coaching, lessons are 45-minutes, but if I book a double, we typically run the 90 minutes straight through with no break.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Soooooo fits what I used to encounter, yes as far as lessons, but also what vendors would tell me about sponsored couples, etc.

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Interesting that there seems to be a range from a 40 minute lesson to a 55 minute one!

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Have to admit I've never heard of this one. The studio I dance at has GPS-synchronized clocks (hey, it's a town full of engineers).

We're on 45 minutes for privates, back to back mostly. Group classes are still an hour, and most of them start at 7 PM. Privates during group are sometimes available, but it depends on what night of the week and who is teaching groups that night.

8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Starting late would annoy me if it were consistent. There's a studio near me that consistently starts its lessons before the socials about 5-10 minutes late, and they come off as an afterthought.

I have a completely independent instructor so our meeting times are pretty flexible. He's run 15+ minutes late a few times and will tell me in advance. I'll usually just run my drills during that time. He lives right near the studio too, so if I'm early and he has nothing in front of me we'll start early too.

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I recall you telling me that for your interviews the standard dancers showed up well dressed and early. Smooth people showed up on time, rhythm people might be a minute late. Latin people may not show up at all. Or at least that is how I remember you telling the story.

10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

How about the ten dancers? ;)

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

One partner showed up early; the other failed to post.

cornutt, Mengu and Bailamosdance like this.
  12. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

They would show up two days in a row, wearing different outfits and with completely different personalities!

Joe, cornutt, IndyLady and 1 other person like this.
  13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

There certainly were exceptions, but as a pattern, yes, this absolutely seemed to be the case! (Good memory Larinda!)