THE Partner search

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Sep 13, 2013.

1. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

This is in part a shameless plug, in part a rant, and in part a call for help/advice/suggestions.

Shameless plug: I'm searching far and wide for a pro smooth partner. Here's the problem with it: im a follow, there is almost no one. My other problem is that people who are potentially available aren't willing to give tryouts, and I understand why asking well established pros would be fruitless in getting a tryout but newer pros really have nothing to lose but 2 hours. Ive spoken to coaches to be on the lookout, ive spoken to people well connected in the dance world and so far no dice. Ive been taking lessons on my own to continue to improve while im on the dancing hiatus but I feel like my progress is starting to slow down with how much I can do on my own.

My boss even kindly practiced with me for the most recent competition we had and danced with me to help get me seen, and ended up winning, which is great, but part of me feels like that intimidated some people.

I just wonder if you guys have any suggestions/know anyone/could recommend me to someone etc.
  2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Here's my tiny opinion: don't feel bad about that. You can't dumb down your dancing just because you're on the hunt and don't want to scare people off.

You WILL find a partner.
    smidra86 likes this.
  3. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Where are you located? I'm aware of three guys looking for Smooth partners in the Chicago area.

Just noticed that you are in Boston, bummer.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there are longer distance partnerships than that
  5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

Truth. My latin coaches are based out of dallas (where I live) and Los Angeles and commute close to weekly between the two (and managed to improve their dancing quite a bit this past year). It'd require some creativity, but long distance could work!
  6. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I am in a long distance relationship with work and I used to have (temporarily) long distance dance partner. I actually now live in ny, about an hour from nyc. And im willing to travel because I already do. Chicago might be a challenge for me with traveling/for my particular goals
  7. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

NYC/Chicago is a pretty easy flight, although it still involves flying, which can get expensive
  8. Sania

Sania Active Member

What about importing a 10 dancer from overseas? Someone with good training but possibly not currently competing or between partners who might want to come to the US?
  9. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Well thats my point. Just too expensive and time consuming to do it as often as I would like to practice.

Well thats what im hoping for will happen. We are looking to hire a new male instructor most likely someone from overseas so maybe ill be able to snatch hhm.
  10. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

I know but it has to be a huge pain in the arse, especially in the beginning.
  11. fascination

life doesn't guarantee us our dreams come true without arsepain....but yea
    leee and Mr 4 styles like this.
  12. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

It only intimidates people who can't see themselves winning.
  13. fascination

and it is folly to try to placate that
    Lyra and ajiboyet like this.
  14. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Well, some good news in relation to this. I was successful in getting a tryout. :) It seemed to go pretty well. I don't really know how to run tryouts especially for open work. But regardless. It seemed to go well, now fingers crossed and we are going to discuss next week. :eek:
    chomsky, ajiboyet, Gorme and 6 others like this.
  15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

good luck smidra! Hope it works out for you!
    chomsky likes this.
  16. Lyra

Lyra Active Member

Good news! Hope it turns into a successful partnership.
  17. Sania

Sania Active Member

Any updates?
  18. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Not yet. Gonna send a text to see how other tryouts went and if he'd like to practice a bit more.
  19. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

No response yet. Granted I just sent it earlier this afternoon.... just being impatient
  20. Sania

Sania Active Member

Who wouldn't be? :)
    Ailuene and smidra86 like this.