The "I Will Never Get This" Club Support Group

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 22, 2011.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Okay, based on the popularity of this subject in the "How are your lessons going" thread, it sounds like we need a place where our members can share their experiences and get support and empathy!

Let's hear about what's giving you trouble....
  2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

double spiral rope spin... as seen in Franco and oxana's basic Rumba routine/demo....

slash not stepping on the 1 during foxtrot but just extending and then stepping on the 2.... pain.. (either international or american)

also getting a staccato feeling in American foxtrot....

sigh... I have a lot to work on. :(
  3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Being a novice! It sucks sometimes! The enthusiasm of someone new is the advantage of it though! That's the one thing I don't luck in!!!
    Nice thread latingal, I'm sure I'll be posting again here!!!
  4. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Rules? hahaha
    I am such a creative dancer and the "Ultimate Social Ballroom Dancer" if there is such a club. So my challenge is discipline; I HATE IT! I hated it in kindergarten, I hated it in high school, I hated it in the service. Understanding there is a way to step and move that wins versus just having fun.
    Hmmmm. :confused:
  5. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

however the ultimate worst for me is Latin motion and not looking like a Kanagaroo on a pogo stick. I'm just saying' :p
  6. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

This ....dang.... new.... choreography...... which count am I supposed to be on NOW???
  7. Dancerman ...

I am right there with you concerning the latin motion. I ask myself daily how its possible that I'm so naturally gifted in the standard dances but yet I can't get any decent looking motion in the latin dances.

I look at it as a glass half full sort of thing. At least I have some natural abilities in dance.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Just as I was feeling that I kind of had my open bronze/silver choreography down we tried it to music... slow music at that... and now I have a whole new bunch of challenges! It is hard for me to translate dancing to counts to dancing to music, so in some ways I feel I have to restart my understanding of the timing in certain pieces of the choreography. But it just makes me want to do it even more!
  9. Josh

Josh Active Member

A friendly word as this thread is beginning...

We all have the "I will never get this" moments. I hope as you are posting your challenges or struggles, that you will keep in mind that getting better as a dancer should be a cause for rejoicing, and that only through struggles and challenges does real, lasting improvement develop. No one gets a free pass and says "wow, that was easy" -- we all have to work and hopefully we are dancing because it's enjoyable, fun, and makes our lives more full and enriched. It won't feel that way every moment as is this case with anything, but just remember while you're thinking "I will never get this" that you probably will "get this," even though it may not feel like it at the time! And even if you don't get something, you are still enjoying life and living well and being active, more than many people can say!!
  10. latingal

I think that the posters in this thread have shown so far, that this thread is not so much about the "I'll never get it, I'm throwing in the towel" type thing - it's more about the -

I've run into a road block and I need to vent and be heard, get some support and then get on with it!

As Josh alluded to, challenge gives us the opportunity to grow and it's a process we should try to enjoy and embrace!! However, we must also recognize that not acknowledging our feelings of frustration or disappointment may also not allow us to move on quickly and learn the lessons we need to learn.

So please, vent (and I prefer to do so with humor) and support your fellow dance journeyers here!
  11. latingal

LOL...dancerman, I think I've had that look....
  12. latingal

....but we get there if we chip away at it - one correction at a time!! Go for it!!
  13. latingal

Love it - there's nothing better to me than the enthusiasm and passion of somebody who loves the dance!!
  14. latingal

lol....
  15. latingal

:) .....
  16. latingal

Have had this happen too, always a surprise when the music hits! LOL.

YOU GO GIRL!!
  17. latingal

Perhaps I've over compensated for what might be perceived as a negative themed thread by trying to support and give each person an answer.....it's much more fun if our members can jump in and support each other - so go at it my friends!!

(p.s. also changed the name of this thread to include "Support Group" - LOL!)
  18. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Anything aside from a sugar push in WCS. :p
  19. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Ah yes, we did the new routine to music today. Fits and starts. I memorized it in chunks. Now the chunks have to flow together. Can't think that fast. Not happening yet. I know how you feel, debmc. It will get better, it just takes time.
  20. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

No Latingirl, I dont think you over compensated!!

I immediately loved this thread idea. We all have fustrations in the learnng process and at least for me I have learned to accept the challenge and not complain but embrace the pain of learning....Thinking often in dance lesson of " the voices in your head" I push out the negative and force myself to give it my full concentration.

Sure once home I end up in the I cant do it, why I love this thread so much....

I have not figured yet how to minimize my exact issues to post, such a loaded question, changes from practice to practice. But yes, I am allfor a positive thread to being fustrated.