General Dance Discussion > The Fall of Disco?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 17, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

When I was little, there were images of discoteque dancers everywhere -- psychodelic music, go-go dancers, you name it. My big brother and sisters did their fair share of disco dancing. Then along came the hustle, and disco was "revived" and grew to the point where it was an international phenomenon.

As you would expect, the popularity of hustle waned in time. Now, when you see references to disco dancing on the web, it's almost always in the context of hustle. (Disclaimer: all this is my opinion)

Anyway, so here we are in 2004. And my question to you is, has disco died? Is it dormant? Or has it just evolved into something new? What do you think?

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Disco hasn't died. There are people everywhere who do it. What I've noticed, though is that it isn't as popular as it was becak then, with other dances such as hip hop attracting the young crowd.

3. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hmmmm. I wonder if Trance can be classified as new age disco.......
    The thriving continuing beat of trance and disco seems closely related to me....

4. Sagitta

The disco of the 21st century!! :wink: :)

5. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

When I was a tot, the byword was "disco sucks," and disco was referred to as a music, not a dance. Everyone with musical integrity was listening to like, Led Zep and stuff. It wasn't until after I started dancing that I found the appeal of disco. But still not as a music. As a music, I think it is very mercifully dead. Do we really need to revisit "A Fifth of Beethoven"? I don't think so....

There were bright spots--the Village People, for instance, are still a lot of fun. And the hustle did revive a flagging ballroom industry in the 70s. So I guess good comes from all things! :D

danceronice likes this.
  6. Sagitta

Since you found the appeal of disco what do you dance to it?

I personally mix in some partner dancing along with disco. Throw in some turns etc etc...

7. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Oh--hustle, usually, though I've not focused on it as a dance. Mostly the things that I do in hustle are modified from swing, cha cha, etc.

I do like bringing in music from the 70s, though, which has a kind of kitschy charm. I almost bought a CD of "Disco Madness" or something like that, with Donna Summer, and Andy Gibb, and the Village People. But in the end, I couldn't bring myself to actually add that to a collection of like, Stravinsky and John Coltrane and Robert Johnson.... :wink:

(The music that I bring in, I borrow, BTW!)

Oh, and almost forgot! I was surprised when I went to Europe for the second time in the late 1980s, there were so many discotheques playing this old 70s music--like the theme from "Rocky" and stuff. Especially in Germany.

8. pelao

pelao New Member

Disco did 'evolve' into something thats still popular today. This new version of disco has been around since the days when disco started to die off. You will find this music on the radio and at all the hottest clubs today.

Its called House. Im sure most of you know this. Its probably the most popular form of [electronic] dance music. It started in the Chicago underground gay scene and spread all over the u.s. underground and to europe (mostly uk rave scene - it was more successful here than in the u.s.) quickly. In the u.s. it had such an impact in underground dance culture, that in Detroit, it was one of the reasons for creation of 'techno' (although, techno gets a huge amount of its influence from old european [namely german] electronic music [e.g. - Kraftwerk]). Then from there it spread to NY causing another genre of music to be created - Garage (there's also a sub-genre of house called ny house). In l.a., another sub-genre was created, which we call LA House. It also impacted france heavily to the point where there was another [unofficial?] sub-genre called French house which have a very funky/disco style. Another huge sub-genre was acid house which originated in chicago around the time house was born.

Acid house impacted the uk very heavily in the rave scene. It was so huge, that it [undoubtedly] strengthened the rave scene and made it grow. Acid house was a huge influence on a new genre of dance music that spawned during the uk rave scene called - Hardcore. This will always be one of the most significant forms of dance music from the rave scene. Almost every uk raver from the late 80s to early 90s, when asked about music and raves from that time, will recall Hardcore (and acid house of course; although, there were many other genres of music played).

So, yes, House is and has been the new form of disco for more than two decades.

Phil Owl likes this.
  9. pygmalion

The first I ever heard of house was in the mid-eighties or so. I had a friend, Blair, who DJ'd. A lot of the stuff he played was more on the R&B side, but still house. (If I think a while, I may be able to remember some of the artists.) I didn't realize house was still such a force. But yes, it's been around a long time. 8)

Thanks, pelao. :D

10. peachexploration

Absolutely love this group! Favorites are "Trans Europe Express", "Numbers" and "It's More Fun to Compute". They have an awesome interactive website. 8)

11. pygmalion

Oh! I feel a google coming on! :lol:

12. peachexploration

:lol: :lol:

They have some other cool remixes on the site as well. I really like DJ Rolando's and Underground Resistance. Pretty cool. 8)

13. pygmalion

Needless to say, I've already been to the site. It's cool. The background music on the home page really grabs you. I'll have to go back and peruse at my leisure. 8)

14. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!! Somebody else that has obviously witnessed or worshipped in Jack's House! I grew up with hip-hop from its infancy. It is a part of my very being. But I was introduced to house in Baltimore in '86 and slowly but surely was sucked HEAVILY into the scene. From 88-92 House pretty much ruled the mid-atlantic area (NY-VA). It is the child of disco. Disco NEVER died, just went underground. Now different genres of House more closely resemble the parent than others. Techno, Gabber, Jungle, Progressive, Tribal, Trance...sometimes it's hard to hear the connection. But with Garage, Acid, and ironically enough Disco House it's right smack in your face. A 4/4 beat with heavy bassline and layered arrangements. Doesn't get any better than that!! :D (Sorry, just the House DJ in me speaking!!)

15. pygmalion

Speak some more. You obviously have a lot you can share. Share as much as you want. :D

16. pelao

pelao New Member

you know what youngsta, you actually brought up one genre that I do dj (apart from latin music) - jungle/drum'n'bass. Although jungle was a direct spawning of hardcore, and hardcore spawned from house; house always has, and still to this day, influences jungle. I also like spinning house every once in a while on the side. I am so into that funky/disco stuff. Laden with soulful vocals. It just gets me going inside.

p.s. - Can't forget about some of that old funk from the 60s and 70s! One of my favs is from some locals (Houston) - Archie Bell and the Drells - Tighten Up. pure hotness!

17. pygmalion

:banana:

Archie Bell and the Drells! What!!! :D

There's a whole thread on the Tighten Up (the dance, not just the song) What a small world. I cannot believe this. :D

18. pelao

pelao New Member

yeah, its some good stuff. Texas funk bands were hot man. I'm gonna try to get me a comp. called "Texas Funk". It feature all sorts of texas funk groups - some who never even got very popular outside texas. But still, top quality stuff. Ironically, it has to be imported from the UK.

I also, always wanted to see the tighten up dance done. I gotta ask some of the older black folks round here about that some day so I can see it.

19. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

House definitely influences DnB, hope I didn't sound like I didn't think that. I used to have a residency DJing Garage/Progressive for the most part although I'd always sneak in some disco house gems (the crowd reaction was amazing! Check out 'Can't get high without you' - Joey Negro...the track is just sick!) There's no way I could forget about the 60's and 70's funk! As a matter of fact one of the first House tracks that really hit me was a remix of Vicki Anderson & James Brown - "Think"

I LIVE for it man!!

20. pygmalion

I'll have to start a thread one of these days for favorite funk artists. James Brown? Oh yeah. Some of his stuff is so cliched (and spoofed) these days, but back in the day, he was the man! And then, of course, there's Mr. Clinton and all his artists. The man looks really strange, but he was a visionary.