Tango Argentino > TEDx talks on Tango...What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Chrisa Assis, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Chrisa Assis

Chrisa Assis Member

Hi you all!
    I was looking through youtube like a good Tango junky...haha...and I found these TED talks on Tango. Thought to share them with you see what you guys think...
    I haven't watched them all but the ones I did watch, had some interesting points to share along with some cliches..so here are some of the videos if you are interested:

Youtube will give you more videos of performances and talks on Tango at TED...I just shared here the ones I have watched so far..!

Maryg and Tango Distance like this.
  2. Maryg

Maryg New Member

I like the Ted Talk "How to practice effectively...for just about everything." I found it on a tango web site. (I can't post a link yet, too new I guess.).

3. Maryg

Maryg New Member

I've watched two of the 4 videos you posted. Tango and the art of connection is very good although the first 4:30 minutes put me off. It definitely picks up when she starts talking about the milonga. The speaker comes from a business background and she expresses her views and experience of tango from this perspective - using economic terms such as "investing in social capital". I've read and seen a lot of videos/films on tango and this is the first time that anyone has presented it this way. Tango draws people from all walks of life and dancers might appreciate this different perspective.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I can't help but notice that these at TEDx talks, which are sort of TED lite.
    First time I've seen someone use a hand held device as a new age teleprompter.
    I notice, too, that all four talks are by women.

itwillhappen likes this.
  5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

What does the acronym TED stands for?
    As for the video itself, it's propbably as irritating for us to watch as would be a video about Shakespeare made by me, having barely read Julius Caesar and disgressing for half an hour about the author's personnality.

6. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

And why do so many women discover their passion to dance Tango not before children and husband have left the house? ;)

On Topic: Many can talk the talk, much less can walk the walk...

7. Maryg

Maryg New Member

I discovered tango long before I had the time and money to pursue my interest. My mother and sister were ballet dancers so dance was a part of my life forever. I thought tango was out of reach but by chance I ended up in a milonga in BA and took a lesson that was offered earlier in the evening. Actually tango still is literally out of reach as the only classes are 200-400 mile round trip away.

Her presentation didn't come off to me that she was dictating how to tango but talking about how she experiences the dance Why isn't it acceptable that each person can have a unique perspective. Most people do understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The speaker talked about how wonderful the tango community has been to her and I'm sure it is if you ignore all the nasty aspects.

8. Maryg

Maryg New Member

Newbie- Who is "us"? I get the impression this forum has insiders and then the others.

You can google TED (conference) wiki for background. I can't post links.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Lai Lai likes this.
  9. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Technology, Entertainment, Design

10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

let's keep the petty spats, personal attacks, ageism, and creepy talk off the boards here. Warning #1.

Tango Distance, rain_dog and Oliver like this.
  11. itwillhappen

I think talking about Tango on stage will quickly drift into talking about leadership coaching or emotional dreams than to yield innovative "ideas worth to share".
    I get better entertained by such a talk: ;)

MaggieMoves likes this.
  12. itwillhappen

13. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

There was a tendency for personal disclosure in tango right from it´s resurrection. One extreme is the blogging wave that (if at all) only allows convenient comments, because always a very personal way of development is reflected. The other extreme seems to be dj-forums on FB where contradictory views clash with each other. TED walk-ons tend to be something like a blog in 3D.
    I did organize last year a new rather discursive format, called TangoTalk&Dance, a talk show, followed by a minimilonga. Each edition had it´s own topic (Berlin or Buenos Aires, virtual tango, heels and arches, teachers and gurus, tango relations, narcissism and machismo, active following, and the like).

16-11-24_TangoTalk-kl.jpg
    Invitation for virtual Tango​

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Mladenac and itwillhappen like this.
  15. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

The tango cynic videos are wonderful. I wrote a short piece on them on my own blog.

16. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

I thought the presentation by Gina Cloud was very thoughtful and pretty much on the money in terms of the dance's potential. I haven't seen the others yet.

17. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Which video?