studio holiday parties and showcase

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by sbrnsmith, Nov 18, 2013.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

How many of you have holiday parties/showcases coming up? How does your pro decide who gets to perform at a holiday party or showcase?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we are all implicitly expected to participate....but if we don't, the world doesn't come to a screeching halt

3. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

We're not necessarily expected to... but if Boss Man asks politely "So... are you guys going to be...?" That generally translates to "I'm asking nicely, and expecting you to pick up on this polite edict." And we says "Governor, it's one of our favorites..."

4. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

To participate in any showcase is up to the student.

If your pro commits to do a showcase (s) with you, it is up to your financial resources, time, lessons, personal wiliness and dedication to perform in any showcase of your choice.

5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yup. There's no "gets to" here. One of my studios has a December showcase, which I'm always welcome to dance in. But my pro understands that I would rather put my limited resources towards competitions.

As far as "expected to" goes, that's fine if and only if there was no cost for the showcase. I actually mean that less snarkily than it probably sounds. That'd never be an option for the aforementioned studio but has in the past at my local one.

6. sbrnsmith

The reason I said 'gets to' is because I didn't get asked to perform for the studio holiday/showcase. The reason I wanted to is because dancing/performing with an audience as opposed to just by yourself in lessons with a pro, gives more confidence and ease in performing when you are at a comp. I wanted the experience and floor time.

7. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Tell your pro that you would like to perform for the studio holiday/showcase. Why do you need to wait when he is going to ask you? If this showcase is any fee based, he would be happy that you asked him to perform with you. Perhaps, he does not know that you would like to participate in the showcase.

fascination likes this.
  8. sbrnsmith

I did! He explained that he has few students that he asked to perform this year and not everyone can perform. It's not really fee based, because the cost is reasonable- just the cost of dinner/drinks. It's called a showcase, but really we only do the routines we learned during the year. So it's not a specially choreographed routine that needed extra lessons. Nonetheless, I was disappointed at being left out, though I'm not mad at him or anything. He said not everyone can perform. But he is giving a chance to some that got to perform last year too. So, I was disappointed, but I am over it now I think.

9. fascination

right....in many venues, one doesn't get asked to do a showcase ...a studio announces one...and students see a note that says; "see your instructor if you would like to participate"...most instructors I know either ask every student they have who might even be remotely interested, or they don't ask any...they just mention the show case and say let me know if you are interested...mine says nothing...but it is assumed that we will all participate but it is also okay if we don't

10. fascination

in this case, often time is limited so instructors choose...it is fraught with problems for this very reason...I have known it to be nearly the deal breaker with some ladies

11. sbrnsmith

Not a deal breaker...I do understand he can't please everyone and he can't dance with everyone. Still was disappointed, but getting over it ..

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Ding! There it is. The routines are usually choreographed though, based on various class material. I assume that's so people don't have to learn everything from scratch - they've at least seen some of the material before.

13. RookieDancer

RookieDancer New Member

Just did our Fall Showcase the weekend before Thanksgiving. Was my third one, and probably the best one I did so far. Did a salsa and a waltz. First time doing a smooth dance in front of an audience too. It was the greatest time ever!

Also did the "all-arounds" dance competition at the same event. Took second place in the associate bronze division. I was a little miffed about that, mainly because I hate losing. Even the guy who took first thought I should've won. But on the bright side, it was the biggest heat I've ever been in so far so placing second isn't so bad.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

WCS club here just has its holiday party, a few coming up at local studios. Some great house parties as well.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

We just did one last weekend. It went well and was great fun. Here's how our studio decides who gets to participate: "Are you interested?" Yes. "Do you have a routine?" Yes. "Okay, you're in." No fee to participate, either.

16. sbrnsmith

I wish ours was like that. I've been trying to put this behind me but still feeling disappointed.

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Mine's Sunday. I am not excited.

Was talked into doing a routine by the owners (It's so much fun! And all the advanced dancers do it!) and am regretting that I let that happen... though I did negotiate it down to just one solo routine, from the solo and multiple goups ones that they were pitching.

I just feel like the prep is taking time away from what I need to be working on. Two more days, and it'll be over... then I can get back to work.

18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

And that brings up *that* whole discussion again of, "Is it reasonable for me to pay to be somebody else's entertainment?" I guess that one will never be solved. Meh. Whatever...

19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

When I do a showcase we're usually doing new choreo and there may be some music editing involved, so I generally figure I'm paying for that time more than for being the show.

20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I do my own music editing. In fact, I sometimes edit other couples' music, too.