Studio charging to handle comp entries?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by billman, Feb 19, 2013.

1. billman

billman Active Member

Does your studio charge students a fee to take care of the paperwork for competitions?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no
    ...I mean, it depends upon how you look at it....my pro charges a fee for his expenses of which that could certainly be rolled in if he chose to frame it as such, but he doesn't...I come to the studio with what I hope to do (entries) prepared, we sit for 15 minutes to finalize it and he mails it in...so technically that was on lesson time....I am aware however, of studios that charge a fee and have many items that they list which are included in that fee...I have always danced at an independent studio and have never had a studio charge, only the pro's pricing structure

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i do my own entries .. but i do know studios that charge that "processing fee"

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Some do, some don't. I pay per entry and a 'day fee' to my pro (a set fee he charges each student for each day they dance, which I assume includes clerical costs and time.) I've also paid on a strict by dance basis plus a small processing fee. If they're handling all the filing and mailing, the cost gets built in somewhere along the line, like with most businesses.

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It is not an uncommon practice.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  6. billman

billman Active Member

The reason I ask is that our studio is going to charge $50 per person to handle the paperwork. ($100 per couple for AM/AM)

7. Akita

Akita Active Member

Why enter through the studio then? Why not just enter independent?

smidra86, billman and Bailamosdance like this.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a SuperRama type gig?

9. Boston Dance Dad

Boston Dance Dad New Member

Our studio adds on fees to cover these costs in a more sly way in that if you did not know to check the competition website you would never know it was added on. Only when I brought this issue up to one of the owners did they explain that it is the cost to register the couple. The example is if the single dance fee for am/am junior couple is $15 they create their own sign up sheet and list the price as $17. Not that $2 is a big deal but doing it this way makes it seem a little underhanded.

billman likes this.
  10. billman

billman Active Member

That is what we were thinking about doing.

11. Akita

Akita Active Member

That's precisely why I enter all NDCA comps (dancing Am/Am) as an independent instead of with a studio.

12. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

The independent studio I am at does charge this processing fee. Flat $130. and that covers doing the entry forms, if a large comp such as Ohio where all the hotel rooms are blocked out, book hotel for me. Day of comp the studio is handling the reg. desk and just giving me my tickets to the ballroom. It is an upfront fee and I never considered it "sly" as it is clear what you are paying for. Sure, I could do all this myself, but I am willing to pay the fee and not have to deal with anything myself.

Now that my pro is independent, renting space, he does not charge this fee and I fill out the forms, get my own tickets at the comp!!

13. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

There is no reason to pay the studio to fill out your form if you are dancing amateur. A long time ago, at a studio far far away (okay, in the midwest!), the studio owner hinted than my husband and I, who were dancing amateur, should not only register through the studio but buy a package through the studio...and the packages were marked up. I'm like "Hm, yes. That would be NICE of me. But not happening."

For pro-am, I generally do fill out my forms...but I also don't need an itemized accounting of my teacher's fees. If my pro is like "I'm charging you X per dance, and then another amount Y for expenses," then as long as

(X x dances) + Y = something I'm willing to pay

...then I don't really care precisely how much is for meals, airfare, filling out forms, or whatever. I don't need to be that nosy.

14. Mr 4 styles

am/am... enter on your own whether its usa dance or ndca

smidra86 likes this.
  15. billman

billman Active Member

I think the Colorado Star Ball is NDCA. We are leaning towards doing it ourselves. And the folks at the CSB have always been great to work with. (They allowed me a few minutes last year to propose to my wife to be!) I am sure they can help us get it right.

16. Mr 4 styles

yes it is ...and yes the organizers are great