Ballroom Dance > Sprucing up my Standard gown - sewing questions!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by musicbrain, Sep 18, 2012.

1. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

Depends on the gather/ruffle size. I love these, with both fishing line and narrow ruffle. A useful way to add volume, especially when you are in country where NOBODY stocks horsehair crinoline:
    http://silviadesign.eu/look-at-me/

2. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Gorgeous gowns. I stand corrected. Their double-edged gathered tulle ruffle packs some poof!

3. SwingingAlong

Yeah, I find her designs really inspiring:) Had to buy a ruffle foot to try things out. I made a 2 circle practice skirt in a hot pink satin with black chiffon overlay, and then edged both layers with a 25mm black organza ribbon at max ruffle (3x). It's great!! I am just now playing with my new overlocker (serger) learning how to do the fishing line part......

4. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

Would love to see a photo of that if you have one.

5. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

I've considered purchasing or at least borrowing a serger for the fishing line hem. It is possible with an ordinary zigzag stitch on a sewing machine but after the first few yards becomes brain numbing back aching labor.

6. SwingingAlong

If it is an option for you, I would get a serger. I wish I'd got one years ago, rather than making do! The finish looks so much more professional, and the rolled hems are so easy. I have wound up in a few sticky spots that have tried my patience, but just like when I got my ruffler foot, I eventually figured things out:)

flying_backwards likes this.
  7. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

So if I am going to do organza underskirts with horsehair trim, then do chiffon as top layer, would you suggest a double circle for the chiffon or single? Or 1 and half? What about the hem. Would horsehair take away the floaty aspect of the chiffon, like weigh it down? Would a rolled hem be better?

8. SwingingAlong

My latest dress project is 4 godets, with each as a half circle, to complete 2 circles. @ layers of organza underneath and 1 of chiffon on top. I also included a base layer of satin to just below crotch level in case the skirts were see through, as it is for my niece who is only 15. It has fishing line in the hem, and will have a tulle frill around the top layer, and wrist floats in the same colour of the frill.I found it was possible to get the 4 lengths from 4 meters of fabric, with one join. The half circles straight edge runs along the selvage, which is great while you are working with unseamed organza! It gets trimmed off as it is serged. The organza draped on the dress doesn't stay, it was just to see if that colour of floats would balance the frill! adding a float.JPG float.JPG

9. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

I got my underskirt done! Organza with horsehair trim and satin bias binding.
    Can you explain how you made those pretty wrist floats? Are they spiral cut with fishing wire edge?

SwingingAlong likes this.
  10. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

As opposed to the threads I have sworn off of, I love this thread, even though I cannot sew at all and I don't dance standard!! It's like reading something in a foreign language that you only kind of sort of understand. I am awed by the design talent and sewing skills you guys display!

middy, Sania, scullystwin42 and 4 others like this.
  11. SwingingAlong

Aren't they awesome! I had scraps left from the skirt, so it is basically a () shape but with pointed ends. The important part is that they are CUT ON THE BIAS AND STRETCHED AS YOU SEW. That causes the lettuce leaf edge if you don't add the fishing line, or the twisty spirally thing if you do:) and here it is with the pearls added and the beginning of the belt: S1470002.JPG S1470003.JPG S1470004.JPG
    I figured out a great way to do the belt (or necklaces) - find or draw your pattern, and print it on paper. Punch holes slightly bigger than your stones through the paper (I used one of those really cool Japanese screw punches to make the holes, you can make more than one pattern at a time then) Clip the paper to your project, and add the stones through the holes!! I find little bits of paper get stuck under the stones but they seem to rip out OK. Really fast, accurate way of duplicating your pattern even if it is complex:inlove:

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    j_alexandra and datitmarsh like this.
  12. SwingingAlong

Pictures please:dancingbanana: I love to see what everyone else is doing:joyful:

13. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

Not sure how to add photo. Do I have to wait as I am new? I did try to add one from my phone but an error message said file too large.

14. SwingingAlong

Just save it as a smaller file and try again. Or maybe change your photo settings on your phone, to take smaller files? I don't have a phone that takes photos so I'm not much help!

15. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

16. SwingingAlong

And here it is all done. I will continue to allow myself to feel smug, until she tries it on and it turns out too long or something else that means it is unwearable....
    Finished.JPG

Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  17. SwingingAlong

Sorry, I missed this. Here it is. I found buying chiffon ribbon on a 100m roll and suspending it via a skewer or knitting needle in a box, so that it runs smoothly was the way to go. That ruffler sure eats up the ribbon at speed:)
    S1480006.JPG S1480005.JPG

datitmarsh likes this.
  18. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

Image536369444.jpg underskirt. Crystal organza, 2 inch horsehair, and satin bias trim folded over the edge.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  19. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

I did a similar thing with rolls of organza making a can can dress. I don't have a ruffler foot so I sewed straight stitch with highest tension. Gathered it just right.

20. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

Got my dress finished just in time for first competition yesterday. IMG_20170514_123532_462.jpg