Salsa > Salsa in Buenos Aires and Mexico City?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Beto, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

A friend of mine posted this on SalseroCorner and I'm thinking somewhere here might have some specific places for her to check out. Here's her post:

Okay, I am going to be spending 5 weeks in Buenos Aires studying abroad for law school and 7 weeks in Mexico City interning with an ABA/USAID organization and was wondering if anyone knew anything at all about the salsa scene in either place... I've checked out the salsaweb cityguides, but there are so many listings that I can't tell which are the good ones...

LeeAnn

2. Vin

Vin New Member

You had me fooled for a minute Beto,

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

LOL! No one's going to answer her question on the Corner so I thought it would be better to ask on here.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thoughts, anyone?

5. tj

tj New Member

Victor and Gabby teach out of Mexico City don't they? I'm sure they will have recommendations.

Their website is www.salsaconclave.com but it timed out when I tried it.

6. alvaro

alvaro New Member

Buenos Aires is a great city! you'll have plenty to do besides dancing. Lots of salsa, too. A friend of mine knows some teachers there - i'll ask her. In the meantime check argentina's salsapower page:
    http://www.salsapower.com/cities/argentina.htm
    salsapower is not always updated, but it is a start.
    check also
    http://www.rosariosalsa.com.ar/index.htm.
    Its not about buenos aires, but you'll get the idea about the scene (and it has some congress pictures )
    Also, in the 'Profesores' link at the left menu you'll find phone numbers for teachers in B.A (and other places). I once took a (group) class with Hernan Rey (he's listed there) and it was great, fun and lots of styling for guys ... but i heard he's moving to germany so i'm not sure he'll be there. I'll ask my friend for some tips on places, groups, and teachers ... what exactly do you want to know???

7. PAGALM3

PAGALM3 New Member

It has been a year since I went to Buenos Aires, but I did enjoy a great time at this club which I believe was called "Azucar". I can't remember what the name was exactly, but it was located directly across the street from the Abasto shopping center. Just ask around the shops located across from the Abasto and I'm pretty sure they will all know what you're talking about. Just keep in mind that the dance floor was super slick and most people were dancing in sneakers for traction. :D Oh, and the place usually gets going around midnight~1am, so don't get there too early! :wink:

8. IsabellaCruella

IsabellaCruella New Member

I only know mexico city, sadly. But these are some of the best salsa clubs there...

Restaurante-Bar Leon- salsa, merengue and rumba music in Centro Historico & Alameda Central
    Barfly- more cuban music- and exceelnt at that. In Condesa and Roma.
    Salon Mexico- strictly a dance hall- and no alcohol. :(

9. Salsablaster

Salsablaster New Member

This is their link from Azucar Belgrano , http://www.azucarbelgrano.com/ , you can skip the movie to avoid time loading. :)

10. Anette

Anette New Member

Hello!
    I spent 5 weeks in BA last June-July and I took lessons everyday in Azucar. It is a great place both for lessons and to go out. It was mentioned earlier in the replies and I just thought I'd write and say that they have lessons everyday salsaLAstyle everyday and rueda, rock, ladystyling, tango, bellydancing etc a few times a week. A monthly pass is about15$ and you get free entrances to all the salsadiscos on that too+ as many lessons as you like (3 different everyday!). They have 3 levels going at the same time and you can just jump in. My favourite teacher there is Kique. They have salsadiscos on fri+sat.
    Another place is called the Tracienda and has a salsadisco on Wednesdays. It is a good place too.
    Escuelita is NOT good and the few people that are there just dance with eachother and it is a very small place. Not recommended.
    Make sure to buy some handmade leathershoes to dance salsa in. They are great!!
    Have a great stay!
    I wish I were going... :)
    Anette

11. aldo

aldo New Member

My girlfriend is a great salsa dancer. I just asked her and she said that there are several places to dance salsa and bachata. There is a place called BailaBA. You can search for it in google using this term: bailaba. They give dance lessons and you can meet many people :)