Rumba wrist hold

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

I a general rumba open position :) hold does the wrist bend for the ladies while going back or is it the wrist in a straight position. I've seen both types but wonder if there is any advantage.
  2. Hi there,

I think I know what you are asking...but not completely sure..

In general the wrist is supposed to be in line with the arm. And so maybe some times you can tweak/bent it a little bit depending on what move you are doing, but the idea is not to break the line of the arm. Also the guy can't connect with you as well if your wrist is broken.

Hope this is what you were asking.
  3. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

yes thats what im talking about, Im glad you understand. when Im watching videos of some couples, the ladys wrist really shows bent. Im just wondering if this is a gimmick to show action on the wrist when the lady moves back she can straignten her wrist.
  4. vit

vit Active Member

When you lead the figures, there is obviously some force applied from the arm of leader to the arm of follower. So for instance, when you lead the basic step, you will give the lady slight push on the beginning, then you will stop her on the 2nd beat and pull back etc. Force used for leading depends on the couple (and their coach) - from almost zero, to the quite high amount (not uncommon to see on WDSF competitions thesedays, where dancing become very 'athletic'). From my experiences dancing socially with ex latin competitors, force used for leading that the girl is most comfortable with is usually in proportion with her masculinity :) and those who like more force for leading are usually bending the wrist to receive the 'push' through the palm when needed.
  5. caw

caw Active Member

In my area, it is very common for girls to do this weird bent wrist thingy, where they hold onto you by wrapping their fingers over the top of your hand, so that if you push, they feel it through the palm of their hand into their arm, and if you pull, they feel it with their fingers.

As a lead, you can help stop this from happening. Hold her hand so that your four fingers pass under (or end upon, depending how big your hands are to hers) the palm of her hand, and let your thumb hold her all the way close to her wrist bone.

That's what I've always been taught from multiple coaches from multiple countries and even on different continents.
  6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I've always been taught to connect through the palm of the and and the fingertips for open latin positions. I'm not sure if I understand the description of this hold- do you mean that you would essential do the "bent wrist" hold and scoot the whole thing up to the wrist?
    If that is the case, I think I would find it extremely uncomfortable. Not only would I find that the power dynamic would be different- the dance would be less of a conversation, and more of the lead telling me exactly what to do (seehttp://www.danceforums.com/threads/holding-wrists-in-social-dances.42763/), but it would also take away from some of the elasticity in my hold. If I'm not mistaken, open facing position should expand and compress throughout the movement- and at least the way I've been taught, some of the expansion/compression originates in the hand. If the leader has his thumb all the way up to my wrist, I am unable to create that sort of "slinky" action.
  7. caw

caw Active Member

Yeah, this is gonna be hard to describe without a picture. I was describing how I've been taught a normal hold should be, and my point was, if the man does a normal hold, the woman can't really get out of it and bend her wrist.

As for the expansion and contraction, there will be expansion from that point. You'll see when you watch Michael and Joanna, for example, that in the fan they go to an almost fingertip connection. But when they compress, that compression won't cause the wrist line to bend - it will always continue with the line of the forearm.
  8. vit

vit Active Member

Well ... wrists are somewhat bent even during normal closed hold, because palms are vertical and forearms are not. Also, ladies are frequently bending wrists of free arms upwards and downwards when moving them ... so what would be the reason that they shouldn't bend for a moment in open hold whatever the reason ?

Furthermore, my opinion is that lady is responsible for position of her wrists and other body parts and it's not duty of her partner to unbend them by holding her firmly. Hand connection with the partner is dynamical thing anyway, changes all the time from figure to figure, and doesn't need to be firm when not needed for leading
  9. caw

caw Active Member

All I'm saying is if the hold is being done correctly, neither partner should be able to mess it up beyond a certain point. Of course I'm not suggesting the lead will control every aspect of the grip.