Tango Argentino > Rasche notation

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Captain Jep, Apr 16, 2009.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

..still try to hold that there is a continuum between these two.

2. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

With any continuum there are extremes . . .

opendoor likes this.
  3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Okay, thank you for your thoughtful reply. There are still a lot of terms and movements that I don't understand in Argentine tango. Of course that is partially because I have not studied it enough. But it would be great to have some reference material that is a good overview of all the Maine terms, or a reference for a looking up something that I don't know what it is. And of course be able to describe what is done in English would be most helpful. But I know sometimes you just have to go do it and feel it for yourself.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Shall I share the list of words and phrases I put together years ago?
    Can we do a wiki type thing?

5. opendoor

The notation by Matias Tripodi was meant as kind of shorthand for choreos. What you actually may be looking for could be kind of an organical map or overview of possible tango moves.

Rodolfo Dinzel created something like that in the 80s. His heritage now is administered by Anton Gazenbeek (New York).

esquemas-coreograficos1.jpg

itwillhappen and newbie like this.
  6. opendoor

7. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

This year I took classes at his son, Eric Dinzel. He's a good teacher and of course did not bother us with such a chart, although he followed the "Dinzel Method" somehow in the background.
    (Sometimes he mubled terms like "on three" or "on five", but no other long term damages got obvious. ;))

opendoor likes this.
  8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Figures of Argentine tango is one I've avoided.

9. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

I have used the Rasche notation as a tool when I have prepared for festival workshops. If I was going to participate on a sacada lesson I checked the last year's youtube videos for the teachers and run them with my partner as a pre class training. When I try to understand the steps and dynamic this notation system has helped me to stay focused and pay attention to every step on the video.

It is easy to write down Rasche notation on an ordinary keyboard and in some situations I use it.
    L%(RS) => leaders Left foot sacada to follower's Right Sidestep

I don't use it as a tool to save old step patterns because the videos and pictures are more detailed and available today but it has been a good help for focusing.

Last edited: May 12, 2017