Proficiency points system - point IN, or point OUT?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Borbala_Bunnett, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm really unsure of what you mean by this. Are you saying that some comps put unskilled judges on for the lower-level events? I find that odd, but that's because the comps I've either helped organized or have been to use the same (but fewer in number) people for Syllabus as they do for the higher-level events.

Well, what else would they be looking for? Are judges really that stupid?

2. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

VERY interesting! Somewhat similar to the swing system I described before, I think...

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Around here, daytime panels tend to be substantially less experienced (on average) than evening ones.

There's a lot to dancing other than basic dance skills. Ordinarily, it makes sense to judge the whole picture. But if you have a series of levels designed to put an exclusive focus on basic skills, shouldn't that be prioritized in the judging?

If you are going to dance syllabus material in a way that is flashy but technically deficient, why not just dance open material in costume?

Or to put it another way: you can impose obstacles by writing rules, but you can't impose focus. That has to come from the coaches and the dancers themselves, and will only come if it's something they want.

4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

In a way, that's what some people do. I watched some amateur pre-champ events at HOA last week, and I know some of the local couples who were in those events. Quite a few of these competitors also danced pro-am in bronze and/or silver levels, and they did pretty much same stuff with their spouses in the amateur pre-champ multi-dance events, even though in theory pre-champ was an open event.

5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Would like to help...what do you need? Kitty (post #99) asked as well.

PM on the way.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Weren't you the one arguing in another thread that a higher-level lady dancing with a lower-level bloke will be pretty much as good as a higher-level bloke dancing with a lower-level lady?

7. reb

reb Active Member

I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

The modifier "arbitrarily" applied to the common rulebook seems out of place when "under rules chosen by competition organizers" suggests an opening of the door to 'arbitrariness'

. . . I'm reading this from the point of view of a person who attends multiple comps across multiple organizations.

But this could keep things interesting!;)

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I knew someone will say that...

1) no I didn't say that the couple with a stronger man doens't have an advantage. I was disagreeing with the statement that the couple can only dance to the best ability of the man. I think a good lady is able to improve the dancing of the couple a lot more than just to the best ability of the man (because she may add things to couple's performance that the man hasn't even thought of yet).

2) i don't think it matters which level a level mismatched couple will dance at first, as they will quickly will earn points and be placed in the appropriate level if the couple really does dance better than the current class of the man, or not. I think this whole question is a mere technicality.

9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I am a part of such mismatched couple, and I have to say contributing more than to the best ability of the man is nearly impossible (at least, has been for me) and creates loads of frustration when you know you can do better with a better partner but cannot in your current circumstances.