Proficiency levels for various countries

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DaMa, May 28, 2007.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Im guessing you are an aussie neighbour? :)

I dont mean Aus and NZ are the same, they are not, just 'somewhat similar'. We do not have Bronze, silver, gold comps etc. Only for medal tests. Yes from level 2 you no longer have to dance a 'restricted' syllabus here. I am not sure exactly what level dancer would dance in 'bronze' in the states so It was just a guess that this is similar to level 1.

Here dance teachers would not be allowed to compete in level 1 purely for the reason that amatuer competitors are not allowed to teach.

Our open events are open to all competitors level 1 through level 5 (amatuer only) however I think at some 'A' class comps it is level 3,4 & 5 only.

Competition here is tough in level 1 & 2 also, by far the most couples are in these levels. Its quite common to have 3 heats in the level 2 in our city so I can imagine how many couples there would be in Australian comps! At some comps there are only 1 or 2 couples dancing level 5, sometimes none. And we hardly ever get to see any professional events :( I have seen professional standard at our Nationals once with a straight final, no latin. Would love to come and watch a comp in Australia if I ever get the chance!

2. Yeah here in level 1 & 2 there are many many many dance teachers however most of them only hold O level (assistant coach qualification).

I don't think it is illegal here.

Also, many couples never do medallist comp so it is not a natural progression. So when you see level 1 comps here you see big gap of ability from total beginners to people been teaching for years.

Again it is hard to win and elevate as you have to gain 5 points and when there are so many on the floor it can be hard to get enough points to elevate especially in level 2. Last time in the local comp we have 50 couples on the floor !

Here also not many professional for some reasons ... people just don't go pro maybe there is a lot more requirement (exams etc) to go pro and most people just don't see the benefit as they are allowed to teach being an amateur !

However, we usually have good numbers of entries in open amateur (usually 10-20 couples) !

Funnily enough, not enough people in level 3-4 usually only 5 couples or so !

3. J4cki3

J4cki3 Member

NZFATD did hold a few competitions for the medalist dancers last year, most of those are not in registered partnerships ie. men's or women's single events.

As to the reasons why amatuers cant teach in NZ, from my personal point of view, it's pretty much all to do with power play and greed, not because of their "lack of knowledge". As dancers, we have it hard in NZ, dancesport is constantly changing and we are falling behind... :(

Personally, I dont think it's that hard to get out of level 1 or level 2 here in NZ, because you are basically competing with the same people every single time, so in order to win, you'll just have to improve faster than everyone else. Sometimes I wonder if it is too easy to upgrade since you still see quite a few level 3 couples who dance their cha and rumba with bent knees through out ;)

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

They must be American Rhythm style dancers at heart. Send them over here. ;)

5. Arthanis

Arthanis New Member

Grade/level/rank...what??? :/

First post here , so , Heyo to everyone! ;)

Now...back to dancing
    I'd like to get help clearing up something that is confusing me.

What I am clear with is that I am , by IDSF's system , an amateur competitor of open program (level 'B' , where 'E' is lowest' and 'A' is highest) in both Latin and Ballroom (international).
    Now how does that actually translate into the US's and UK's most used systems(organizations) ?
    I see :
    Beginners , Novice , Intermediate , Pre-Championships Pre-Champ (called also , Pre-Amateur Pre-Am) , Open Amateur being mentioned and also there's the gold , silver , bronze thing ... o_O ?

The reason I'm asking this , I have trouble understanding certain posts here , cause I'm not entirely sure about which level of dancing the subject are in regard.

6. Benjy

Benjy Member

What country are you in and what class do you dance. My partner in Austria was A class which put here at the top of prechamp here, but a friend of mine danced B class in Uzbekistan and was of similar ability level. Further, the IDSF ranking system doesn't always indicate ability level... even if you're not very good... with time you will point out and reach S class in a fairly weak country.

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF Arthanis!

8. Arthanis

Arthanis New Member

Ok , thx for moving my post here. Read through the thread and I have a better idea now :)

I am from Serbia and our national dance organization matches the rules of IDSF with few minor differences.

Age groups:
    Same as IDSF (including how far u can get in classes with each age group)

Classes:

E D C are Syllabus(basic)

E - (6 dances)
    D - (8 dances)
    C - (10 dances) - points are collected separately for St and La

B A I are Open and they all include all 5 dances in both styles , while if u want u can dance only one style.

B
    A
    I - Which is the actual "S" level , but I think someone here renamed it to "I" as the dancers of that level almost exclusively compete Internationally.

After this you should consider going Professional

You advance through classes by winning and thus getting points (same as Nazar explained on the page before , just our 1st place is 25 pts , 2nd 20pts ,etc)
    As you achieve the next level your points go to 0.

E to D 60
    D to C 80
    (from C onwards , points are needed for each style separately)
    C to B 200
    B to A 600
    A to I 800

Male competitors hold the category(and their achieved points in their current one) , while females accept the category of their partner.

We have three important types of comps.
    Qualification - Meant only for earning points (once a month) all classes compete
    Rating - For earning Rating Points which later determine the national representatives , dance camp invites...etc , only Open program competitors dance these (B A I).
    National Championship (La,St,10dance) - Competitors are divide only by age groups and all categories may dance(e.g C, B, A, I seniors = 1 group) if they have attended 50% or more of the national comps during the season.

9. Benjy

Benjy Member

If you were B class in Serbia, depending on how you were doing, you would fit solidly into the upper part of Prechamp and perhaps the bottom of the Championship... I remember we had a dancer come over from Serbia a few years ago who was dancing B class in Serbia (and winning it), and won Prechamp at Nationals.

10. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

International Latin level division?

Levels in competitions here are divided into(in ascending order):
    Beginner
    Novice
    Pre-amateur
    Amateur
    Rising star
    Professional

Of course there are also the Solo, Ladies event, Juvenile, Master, Youth under 16 etc. categories.

I am just curious, are there equivalents to the levels in other countries? I sometimes stumble upon people talking about Champion, Pre-champion, Gold level, Silver level etc. I don't know about the Champion and Pre-champion but here we only have Bronze, Silver, Gold etc. levels for medallist competitions that are by governing bodies like ISTD, NATD, IDTA etc.

Also, there was one time when I heard an instructor saying that Professionals aren't necessarily better Amateurs. He said that Amateurs turn Professional because they have matured in their steps. I don't really get this too. Anyone care to clarify this for me? I'd be thankful.

11. Terpsichorean Clod

12. Terpsichorean Clod

I'd guess that Beginner, Novice, Pre-amateur match up somewhere with Bronze, Silver, Gold, Novice, Prechamp in the U.S. Your Amateur = our Champ (sometimes called "Open", and even less frequently "Amateur"). We have Rising star and Open Pro, too.
    We do have Solo events but I think they're pretty rare. The availability of Pro/Am as an alternative probably has something to do with that. Your Masters sounds nicer than Senior I, II, III (35+, 45+, 55+). ;) Some comps add Senior IV.
    At the upper end, the top pros are better than the top amateurs. But you can turn pro whenever you want. Just hang a shingle outside your house declaring yourself a professional. ;) So there's a bit of overlap at the lower end - we have both amateurs and pros who are Bronze level.

13. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Thank you TC! =)

Just bringing this back again to see what other people have to say. =)