Proficiency levels for various countries

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DaMa, May 28, 2007.

1. I believe this is the European Standard of proficiency... Not entirely sure, but this is what I think it corresponds to:
    E class – Pre-Bronze
    D class – Bronze
    C class – Silver
    B class – Gold
    A class – Novice / Pre-Champ
    S class – Champ
    So S is better than A...

2. LaWa

LaWa New Member

In Germany D, C, B, A, S are competition levels like Bronze, Silver in the US, but I'm not sure if that is what's meant here, so I'll wait for Larinda to pop by and explain.

3. LaWa

LaWa New Member

Thanks 19DBL, posted the same time

4. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

thanks for the replies. So is there anything above S class? Or does it become professional level?

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

European A class couples will beat most of the champ couples, i would say A = champ... S is the ellite top couples

6. LOL ohh I have no doubt. The chart was for what it's supposed to correspond to... What it actually corresponds to, accounting for the less-stellar dancing in US, is slightly different ;)

I don't think so. Professional is next I believe

7. Nazar

Nazar Member

pretty much IDSf system
    E- bronze (associate)
    D - Silver (licentiate)
    C-Gold (Fellow)
    B
    A
    S
    M
    Starting "B" class, I believe, you have to earn points separately for Latin and Standard. So It is normal to have let's say A class in Standard and S in latin.
    It is different for everybody, but I will say that C is slightly below average in junior II category B - normal (good) A- very strong couple.
    Youth - B - sl;ightly below average, A - good couple, S - very strong (usually national championship final level).
    M - the highest level possible. In Russia for example, you have to earn points to M class + you have to make it to certain level in national championships (about best 48 couples to confirm the M class.) Given about 350 couples participating in National Latin Championships in Amateurs division - it is not that easy task.

8. Nazar

Nazar Member

In the evening, if somebody is interesting, I can write the whole system down and describe ir more in details. just in between lessons right now:)

9. AMeader

AMeader New Member

I'm interested! :)

10. Nazar

Nazar Member

Well here we go::)there will be a lot of words:)
    so, there are 7 classes: E,D,C,B,A,S,M
    To go from one class to another, you have to earn certain amount of points:
    E-D = 16 and more
    D-C = 18 and more
    C-B-20 and more
    Starting going from B- to A, you have to gain points separately for St or La.
    B-A - 22 and more
    A-S - 24 and more
    there was a mistake in the previous post, there is no need to earn points from S-M. You just need to have S class and make it to the top quarter of all the couples participating in National Championships (for example if there are 300 couples competing you need to place not lower than 75 to get M class.) or, if there is a 10 dance championships, you need to make it to the top 1/6 of the couples - if there 60 couples competing you have to place not lower than 10th. this way you getting M class for both La and St.
    Now, how those points being counted:
    You earn points for placing higher than your competitors, who have the same class as you do or higher.
    There is the big table for that, but I will give few examples:
    If there were 3-6 couples of your level or higher and you placed first among them, you get 1 point.
    7-12 = 2;
    13-18=3;
    19-24=4;
    25-36=5;
    37-54=6;
    55-78= 7;
    79-108=8;
    109-144=9;
    145-186=10
    of course, you get points if you didn't place first, but it depends on amount of couples competing.
    Classes up to A are being given at regional dancesport federations (there are regions in Russia, like states in USA). Classes A,S,M are given at National Dancesport Federation meetings, which are much more rare, so sometimes it takes up to a year to get your class stamped in your start book. (Every competing dancer has a start book, that has photo, info about him like DOB, dancesport organizatin, he belongs to, and info about all the comps he attended - date, city, how many couples total in his group, placement total, how many couples in his class or higher, place and points (if any)).
    those classes themself, are pretty important for understanding, who is who:) for example, if somebody 14 years old and having S class, it probably will be very top level, and if somebody is 20 years old and having B class, it doesn't sound that good. Also, those classes play their role when it comes to assigning common sport classification levels of proficiency from the state. the same that let's say wrestlers or basketball players will have. some of them will give you even some discounts from the state (for example, the title of "highly deserved master of sports" (the only dancesport couple holding that title is 3 times world 10 dance champions Marat Gimaev and Alina Basiyuk) they can use public transportation for free or have didcounts on utulity bills.) the same title will be given to any sportsmen who is one-time Olympic Champion or multiple World Champion in their Sport. (that was a little off-top:))
    Anyways, this toipc is pretty complicated, but I tried to describe some major rules and conditions. Hope it helped, if there will be any questions, feel free to ask.:)

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

thanks for taking the time to give us information on this Nazar!

12. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

13. Nazar

Nazar Member

Anytime:)
    that is probably Italian system, it is different. Went on Italian dancesport federation website - didn't understand the word. but saw, also A, AS, B1 and B2 in there. have no idea...need somebody, who speaks Italian, they have to have some info on the website in documents somewhere...

14. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Nazar, thank you so much for that explanation! I LOVE learning about the European dancesport systems. thank you thank you! :)

15. woot Nazar!!

16. to be or not to be

to be or not to be New Member

European levels translated to U.S

I think I've asked something very like this but this is a specific question. I recently had a partnership offer from someone who is B 2 adult. and I'm thinking of trying out for it. at the moment I'm Bronze syllabus. How much of a level difference is this step wise? how many patterns would I have to learn (lets not even get to the finer points of dancing.

17. Woohoo you are one gutsy person! B2 translates roughly to novice/gold in the US system, I believe. Which means step wise, you're gonna have to go through the entire syllabus... If we're just talking numbers, there are usually ~30 figures per dance, and by Bronze you've covered ~15 of them.
    Rare opportunity, good luck!

18. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Competitive Levels

Hiya, Im not sure how the European system works but New Zealand is very different from the USA.

Our system is somewhat similar to Australia. We have 5 different age groups, Juvenile, Junior, Youth, Adult and Senior.

In each age group and style (e.g. Latin, Standard, New Vogue) there is 5 levels. E/1, D/2, C/3, B/4, A/5.

E grade/Level 1 I imagine is similar to Bronze and A grade/Level 5 is the highest level you can obtain before turning professional.

Each couple may compete in their own level and the one above that, for example a Level 3 couple may compete in level 3 and level 4 events.

To move up a level you must win your own level 6 times, or win the level above you once. (there must be at least 6 couples competing for the win to be valid.) e.g. a Level 3 couple wins a level 4 event, they will upgrade to Level 4 and will be eligible to compete in level 4 & 5 events.

When you register with our national dance association you receive a registration card where your wins in each level and style are recorded.

If partners of different levels want to compete together they can, but they must compete at the level of the highest partner. You are allowed to downgrade a level ONCE only. e.g. a lady is dancing at level 4 with her partner, the partnership dissolves and she starts to dance with a level 3 man. She may downgrade to his level 3, however if this happens again with a future partner she will not be able to, the same rules apply for the man.

Level 1 is syllabus only figures and is reserved for genuine beginners. For example if a Junior aged couple dances Level 1 or 2, when they move up to adult grade they are allowed to dance Level 1. If the junior couple were Level 3, 4 or 5 however they would not be allowed to dance lower than a level 2 adult.

I think that covers it! Interesting to see how different it is throughout the world!

19. I am not sure if Level 1 in Australia/NZ translate to Bronze as generally competitors are doing all syllabus levels from bronze to gold. From Level 2 onwards competitors are doing open level choreography !

I am not sure about level 1 is reserved for 'genuine beginners' either since I know quite a few O level dance teachers competing in that level !

I think bronze, silver and gold is more like medallist level competition.

Once you get to level 1 and 2 the competitions get pretty tough as there is a bottleneck in those 2 level currently with competitor in medium sized competitions numbering 25-40 couples and upwards to 100 in larger comps like the Australian !

20. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

This was what I was thinking too...

We've got Bronze, Silver, Gold, and then the Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
    Perhaps Level 1 is approximately equivalent to somewhere between silver and gold. A lot of dancers do medals, and then once they're doing well in silver, decide to go registered. That's a guess on my part, but it seems to be what I've seen people doing. It also explains the almost complete lack of Gold competitors.