Proficiency levels for various countries

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DaMa, May 28, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

thinkingsam, am I correct in remembering you are in Singapore?

If so, I am not sure how the comps work in that country. Perhaps some of our other members might know?
  2. mummsie

mummsie Member

Sam as Latingal said it depends on the country and the dancesport rules for that country. In Australia we start off at level 1 (bronze or beginner) up to level 5 (open). We have to win 5 elevation points per level to progress up through the levels. Only about a third of the competitions here are what are called 'elevating' so you may win an event but because its not elevating you won't get a point towards getting to your next level. You would need to read up on the rules for Singapore :) mummsie
  3. Okay so if you have finished your gold medal are you good enough to do a level 1 ?

I was told you only deserve to compete through the levels when you are very very good open dancer.

Otherwise stick to the medallist comps.
  4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

5. Terpsichorean Clod

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

7. dancepro

dancepro New Member

Welcome thinkingsam.

If you want to know more about the system in Singapore then your best bet is to contact Shawn Tay. Tell him that Chen Ming Hsiang's friend and teacher referred you. He will be able to give you all the information you need. Shawn is very high both in IDSF and IPSDSC in Asia. If you encounter any problems finding him let me know and I will find his information for you.

Dancepro
  8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I think the consistency is that proficiency-unlimited competition is offered for the same age groupings.

Usually it's only the proficiency unlimited (what we'd call champ in the US) division that sees people traveling more than to a neighboring country, and people are usually in a position to know or find out what the rules "next door" would be if they want to go there to enter a lower division.

I guess one exception to this would be the rising-star events that have been added to some competitions with international draw, but as I understand it eligibility for that is based on how you have done at that particular competition in the past, rather than on results at other competitions.
  9. reb

reb Active Member

10. Terpsichorean Clod

Muchisima köszönöm, reb! Wŏ essaie. ;)
  11. reb

reb Active Member

köszönöm szépen!
  12. emkey

emkey New Member

correct me if im wrong if anyone alse here is from the Philippines

Grade A B C D E are all open syllabus levels
    Grade A CSRPJ
    B - CSRJ
    C - CRJ
    D - CR or SJ
    E - One dance of either C, S, R or J

then there's syllabus thats everything :)
  13. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

various levels for competition dance

I'm trying to find out if there is a uniform system of class for the world. For example in US there is the bronze/silver/gold.....Japan has A/B/C classes.....I thought there was an Italian class....something like C1/C2 etc. Can anyone provide an equivalent class rating for the diferent countries?
    thanks in advance.
  14. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I don't think class system translations really have much meaning, since classification at levels where people tend to stay local is very much based on local standards and perception. For example, you tend not to be able to use proficiency levels to draw any comparisons between intermediate dancers on US east and west coasts and that's supposedly the same system.
  15. Pishogue

Pishogue New Member

Australia?

Anyone know which grades in Australia correspond to US b/s/g/pre/ch, and how the pointing in and out works?
  16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF Pishogue!!
  17. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

A or S class dancer

Can anyone tell me what these classes stand for. In standard? Which is higher and what form of ranking is this?
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

advanced? or social?...just a guess...no clue...and I hope not since clearly the two aren neccesarliy at odds...but anyhow...it is just a guess...truly I have no clue
  19. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Its used in lots of european countries.

A is kind of the highest class

but S is the one higher than A :)

Think A translates to champ here, S is like top champ couples. Just from talking to ppl.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ahhh...thanks Kat...