Proficiency levels for various countries

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DaMa, May 28, 2007.

1. dancepro

dancepro New Member

In Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, England, Scotland, Ireland and I think Holland they do not have dance books. It does depend on the federation of each country. I think these countries has so few dancers that it is not worth the work to keep check on what competitions and where the couples dance. The couples go where they what and when they want with very few restrictions.
    If you want to have a book then create one for yourself. I personally could never be bothered, as I would see that as one more thing to remember to bring and pick up from the organizer. I don't like to hang onto to stuff like that (it turns into clutter for me) and would therefore not care enough to remember it all the time.

Dancepro

2. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

that is you opinion, and I respect that.

I think that dance book is very good. because, when I look into that book I see all my results and other information that I need to do ( for example to pay my membership fee to a Federation, to have a medical exam ...... )

3. reb

reb Active Member

DW is from Eastern Europe and had to maintain her dance book.

4. dancepro

dancepro New Member

I respect your opinion as well.

I am/was not concerned with results so I guess that is why I didn't need one more book. The results that were titles I do remember. I get a reminder by email from the organizations that I am a member of requesting their annual fee so it is not something I have to remember. Medical exam..excuse my ignorance but what does a medical exam have to do with my dancing. Again I get an email reminder both from my doctor and from my health insurance company so no need to remember anything on that account either. What other things that have to be done is kept by my assistant, a home planner and the planner I travel with.

Dancepro

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

They have them in Switzerland...

6. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

I like to have everything white and black. ;)

as a professional sportsman in my country you have a medical examination. (I know couple of them whom haven't pass the examination, and they couldn't compete.)

and on every competition there is a doctor.

7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I think dance book thing is not a bad idea, helps to get things organized but certainly cost so much extra paper work time. Just thinking in East Europe, maybe this manual bookkeeping method is widely used simply because comp results not yet fully computerized. I've seen partner and other dance friends' dance book, so many domestic comps not recorded on sites like dancesportinfo. Without the dancebook, it's hard to track past results over the years.

Probably more US and western / North European comps would be recorded on international sites like dancesportinfo so not necessary to spend extra time to maintain dancebook for all competitors, sort of redundant info online and on paper.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Definitely cuts down on any sandbagging...

9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

It may cut down on rule violations, but I think it actually mandates many actions that would be considered sandbagging if taken in the US.

For example, experienced dancer forms new partnership with inexperienced one. In the US, they have to dance at the proficiency level of the more experienced partner, and they would be criticized for sandbagging (not to mention breaking the rules) if they entered at the level of the less experienced one.

In contrast, in the dance book countries, they have to dance at the level of the less experienced partner until they work their way back up, right?

10. Standarddancer

I think in the dancebook countries, they also require to dance at more experienced partner's level.

11. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

What is important is that you are dancing in that category in which is a male partner.

If a female is much experienced than a male she will dance in male's category.

12. Chris Stratton

That might be the practice, and the rules might provide the leeway to choose to do it that way, but I doubt that's what the rules actually specify.

What are the actual rules for partnerships formed from different level backgrounds?

13. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

there is no such a rule.

there is a rule that male partner is the holder of the category. ;)

14. Standarddancer

I believe that's correct. Now I recall my ex-partner from Czech Republic splitted with his ex-partner after achieved Class A, then his next partner had not yet earned points to dance Class A, but since he had achieved A class by that time, that girl had to dance in A class regardless what she achieved with her ex-partner. He said in Czech that's the way how it worked, dance in the male partner's proficiency level. He said quite stressful time for both of them for a while but with hard work they've got to top class eventully.

Probably for other East European countries the same. Just my guess, hasn't seen many cases where there are significant level difference in competitive partners.

15. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

that is the same I think in almost all Europe, not only in EE. Germany, Austria, Italy, Hungary, Spain, France ...... ;) I haven't compete in north countries ( Ireland, Norway ...) so for those countries I don't know.

16. Chris Stratton

That's actually in the rule book ??? Wow.

17. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

yes. ;)

18. Glasswren

Glasswren New Member

Until fairly recently the male partner's class determined the couple's class in Finland as well. Now there is a choice: The class the new couple dances can be either at highest the highest class either partner has achieved or at lowest the class that is in between the achievements of partners. I having trouble putting that in words, so here is an example:

Partner 1 dances in A, Partner 2 in E: They can choose C,B or A class.
    Partner 1 dances in A class, Partner 2 in D: B or A
    Partner 1 dances in A class, Partner 2 in C: B or A
    Partner 1 dances in A class, Partner 2 in B: A

I hope that clarified what I was trying to say.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Actually, you are mistaken. The new rules do have provisions for partners of unequal level dancing together. The only exception is for very experienced Championship dancers who would have accumulated the required number of points in Championship to be unable to dance lower than that level. In that case, the lower-level dancer would be stuck dancing Championship. But you rarely get a very low-level dancer partnering with an experienced Championship dancer.

20. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

this is so truth. ;)