Proficiency levels for various countries

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DaMa, May 28, 2007.

1. DaMa

DaMa New Member

Hello,
    I was wondering how the proficiency levels in Europe compare to those in the US. What are the European equivalents of the US newcomer, bronze, silver, gold, pre-championship, and championship levels?

Thank you
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Wecome to DF DaMa! Hopefully some of our members will be along to help with your question.
  3. swan

swan Member

I think D is syllabus, C is Pre-Novice, B is Novice, A is Prechamp and S (or M as in Master) would be our Open Championship.
  4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Novice-- Pre Championship and Champ,ship, are the 3 majors .
    There are also numerous 1, 2 and 3 dance comps .

For children , again , many different levels, thru Junior status .

For adults, we also have comps for " Senior " competitors .

The major difference here -- very big on Medal test exams for children and adults .

Finally ,there are comps in several different styles-- Standard, Latin , Old Time, Modern Sequence . At one national congress, there is a comp. for the best " new " Sequence dance presented . ( yes, we are comp .mad !! )
  5. someone

someone New Member

First, UK has its own proficiency levels. US has something between UK and other European countries.

This is what I can say about classes:
    E class - Bronze level, but you have to dance 6 dances event (W,Q,V,S,Ch,J)
    D class - Silver - 8 dances event (W,T,Q,V,S,Ch,R,J)
    C class - Gold - 10 dances event.
    B class - Open - 5 + 5. You have to collect points in both program to get A class. I think this rule can vary from country to country.
    A class - St and Lt are separated.
    S,M - black belt :cool:

If we are talking about the real quality of dancing, so US Pre-Champ is about C class in such countries like Russia or Ukraine. :(
  6. DaMa

DaMa New Member

Thank you all for the info. It is quite interesting how system is different in US vs. Europe. Someone, quick question for you. Is it reqiured to do all 10 dances up to/including prechamp (B)?

Thanks
  7. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I had a bad try-out a long time ago w/a guy who was B class in Ukraine in latin. His dancing from afar looked pre-champ/champ, but once I danced with him, it turns out he didn't even understand how to lead and could only do routines. He kept repeating- "what is your composition? show me composition!" Levels can only tell you so much no matter where someone is from!
  8. someone

someone New Member

As I told before, I am not sure that all countries have the same rules. Usually B class couples continue to do 10 dances since they did it up to C class.
  9. akn124

akn124 New Member

Different Levels in Europe

Can somebody explain to the different levels in Europe for Int'l Latin and what qualifies for you to move up? What are the equivalent levels in the US levels (novice, prechamp,champ)
  10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

11. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

for example in croatia -

D1 class - novice (3 dance)
    C class - bronze
    B class - silver
    A,I class - gold and champions
  12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I believe that in Europe, its very different. For example, I heard anyone here can dance any level they wish. In Europe, you are given a book. You have to have a certain amount of points to go from one class to another. You may not dance what you want. You only can go up in class when you reached that level (by scoring on top of that level). Once you do so, they enter that in your dance book. You have to bring this book (like passport) to competitions. This way, people competing in various levels are more or less on same level dancing. I hope this explanation helps.
  13. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

this is correct.

in europe you have a dance book, and each time you compete you get a stamp and points.
    there are rules which figures you can dance in which category.

for example in category B,A,I you can have open figures, but in C,D only basic figures.

on each competition you get points (it depends on how many couples is dancing and which place you win)*

* if it is 7 couple - 1st place - 25 points
    2nd place - 21 points
    3rd place - 16 points
    4th place - 12 points
    5th place - 9 points
    6th place - 6 points
    7th place - 3 points

to get from category to category you need to have:

D1 to D2 - 25 points
    D2 to D3 - 50 points
    D (D3) to C - 75 points
    C to B - 250 points
    B to A - 250 points
    A to I - 250 points

and each time you are going to a next category you are back on 0. :cool:

i hope I helped just a little bit.
  14. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

based on my experience (I believe this is valid in Germany, Switzerland and perhaps some other countries around Europe):

S = Champ (this is an easy translation)
    A = Prechamp (well, you don't have match other choice here)
    B = ?? (this is tricky, because, B is technically the first "open" leve where a couple may dance anything)
    C = silver? (speaking from int'l standard kind of view, C is a syllabus only event that does NOT allow any picture line figures - aka, most of the "gold" figures are not legal here. However, C covers more figures than the "silver" level in the US.)
    D = broze (this is an easy match)
  15. dancepro

dancepro New Member

In some of the smaller countries in Europe there are not enough couples to do a system like that. The syllabus restrictions are danced in the younger levels (Juvenile 1+2 and Junior 1+2) but once you are an amateur there is only open amateur.

Dancepro
  16. Glasswren

Glasswren New Member

To add to the salad, here is a quick recap of the Finnish version. ;)

E class - Beginners, six dances (Waltz, Tango, Quickstep, Samba, Cha Cha, Jive). Restricted syllabus.

D class - Eight dances, add Slow Foxtrot and Rumba to previous. Restricted syllabus. (Seniors may choose to do either Standard or Latin at this stage.)

C class - All 10 dances, so add Viennese Waltz and Paso Doble to the mix. Still restricted. Latin and Standard competition diverge and it becomes possible to choose just one or the other.

B class - I'd think this is the equivalent of Pre-Champ in theory, impossible to say what the actual skill level is.

A class - Champion Class. The highest one can get here.

Each skill level is also offered to different age groups.
    Juvenile I (under 10) can only advance to E class, Juvenile II (10 or 11 yrs) to D class. Junior I (12 or 13)and Junior II (14 or 15) to B class. Youth (16, 17 and 18 year olds), Open (Adult, One partner at least 19 and the other at least 15) and Seniors (over 35) have all the classes to aspire to.

To move up couples need to compete and collect points. I doubt anyone really wants to read how those are calculated, but if I am wrong just poke me.:D
  17. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this info. So it seems much harder to get from C to B and B to A, etc, then placing out from lower levels?

And is it true once you place out a level, assuming you dance with the same partner, you can't dance down? is this strictly enforced in European countries which doesn't allow a couple dance up or down?

I know in East Europe, all competitors have dance book, but haven't seen a dance book from countries like England, Italy or other West or North European countries. Is the dance book only an East European thing?
  18. dancepro

dancepro New Member

In the 20+ years I have been in the dance business, I have never seen or heard of dance books being use in Western or Northern Europe. I never had one, when I danced in Europe. I have also not heard of any of the young couples today from Northern Europe have one. So I think it is totally a Eastern European thing about having a dance book.

Dancepro
  19. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

I don't know about the books. But in my area there are almost the same (and my country is a middle europe)

it took me almost 3 years to get from B to I (this is the highest category).
    because we competed on IDSF competition a lot ( where you get IDSF points for IDSF ranking list) and not that much on domestic competition
    (which are called competition for points).

And if you are in one category you can't dance in lower one.
  20. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

well, i have friends in Italy, Slovenia, Hungary,Austria ..... and they have a dance book. It depends from Federation to Federation. ;)

And I can say that that book is very useful. Especially if you compete internationally.