Ballroom Dance > pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Drop in. It's fuuuunnnnnn

3wishes likes this.
  2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I plan on it. I was there for the FIRST one. lol. And then GS danced in the second one.
    PM to you.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

It *does* look like a really fun competition. But I'm afraid Starz+Emerald+USDC is already an overly full calendar for me from a financial standpoint. But my pro and her older open smooth student will be there. It amuses me to imagine you two developing a pretty good rivalry. :D

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

I'm sure I'll be dancing against him. Especially in the all ages gentlemens only open smooth. Yeah buddy

5. Mr 4 styles

But I'll see you at usdc!!!

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Reverse Mohawk! :dancingbanana:

raindance likes this.
  7. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

about to send you a pm

8. I think I must've replied this thread at some point, but here I am again lol

Usually I feel into sleep within 5 mins once my head touches the pillow, but not the night before the competition!

9. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Excited for next week's competition, woohoo! if anyone will be at WI state, would love to say hi! Looks to be a big, fun comp this year.

Sania likes this.
  10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

New version of pre-comp disorder... wrote a spreadsheet that lets me score various factors for 2 comps under consideration, then assigns a weighted score. I like that this way, I can consider all the factors, and put more emphasis on the ones that matter the most to me.

Sania, flying_backwards and Dancey like this.
  11. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Willing to share which factors? I did a similar exercise when my then partner and I were planning. We looked at these factors:

(1) Cost of registration, admission, including USA Dance or NDCA registration
    (2) Travel distance & cost
    (3) Field size big enough for at least semi-finals
    (4) Calendar conflicts
    (5) If our teammates were going
    (6) Late enough in the morning to not have to arrive the night before

Factors we did not consider important:

(1) Decor
    (2) Age brackets
    (3) Competition sanctions such as NQE or official recognition by an org.

But it's all moot now.

12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Heat lists are out... I need to do a double set of singles straight through, open gold and open advanced, at the tail end of pro dancing 40+ dances in a row. We may die. Pray for us.

(Seriously, nothing to do now but pray my conditioning work has been enough, and that he's been hitting the gym. We regularly run rounds with a one song break in between, and I run semi-regular sets of 8 or 10 solo... regretting my decision to register for this comp when pro went above the number of students I feel like he can take and still dance well/full out, but I've worked way too hard for this all year to not be there. And they're only singles... at least I'm first up in the evening session when it matters.)

13. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

i am ANTSY to compete again. it's not for another 4 weeks. so, opposite version of pre-comp disorder?

14. 3wishes

Eyelashes!!!! Crap. Gotta go get those things.
    A continual list is starting to run through brain.
    Got to crank up stamina, please let practice rounds go well.
    Hitting Galaxy Dancesport, but DH is making me crazy with the "road trip" hikes and viewings we're doing for 4 days in Sedona before checking in at Phoenix. Arrggghhhhhhhh scream.
    Lol, wink, please please let this go well.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

That will be a nice relaxing trip before Galaxy! I love Sedona!

16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

3 competitions over 3 weeks.....this will be the most I've ever done in a row. Trying to make sure I have everything scheduled and ready because the next 3 weeks look like this... Work, tan, pack, fly, dance, return, repack, retan, work, fly, dance, return.....you get the idea! I'm so excited!

Caroline Skipper and 3wishes like this.
  17. 3wishes

I know that run run run feeling, lol. Good luck. See you in AZ.

debmc likes this.
  18. 3wishes

Ok so I hiked the Grand Canyon yesterday, perfect weather! Hit Williams Az and now am in Flagstaff. Haven't practiced one bit. During dinner with friends at Salsa Bravo (highly recommend) I started having flashes of Tango a hot mess. Footwork in FT actually being VW, and Waltz, well that the pro forgot it. arghhhh a living nightmare running through my head while trying to enjoy friends and conversation! Heat lists posted, I hit the threadmill I'll (not that it will help) and did the smooth dances in my brain with my arms totally going everywhere as if I was dancing,,, a few strange looks, and terribly afraid I'll have stranger looks from the judges as if I am living my waking nightmare!!! Arggghhhh.

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. 3wishes

Ok, so, tomorrow I dance. Can my pre-comp disorder get any higher?! DH insists on route 89a through Sedona, major construction down to 1 lane from Flagstaff. Huge delay. While walking, start doing my steps, because thinking about previous nightmare has me spooked. I don't spook easily.
    Drive to church in the mountain, Sedona, light a candle with prayers and a selfish one for me too. Pours cold rain, is this a sign? Arghhh.
    ok, so I've gotten to the point of, "just survive tomorrow" when DH announces 3 surrounding cities he wants to view homes in before checking into comp hotel.....really???!!!!! Crap. Sigh, arggghhhhh scream. Brain a hot mess.