Ballroom Dance > Partner - To Keep or Not To Keep

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancingirldancing, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

There are Times when an Outsider looking in see's things more clearly than that of somone involved in a partnership. Everything is Relative to what You want out of the Partnership-Depending on how far you want your Dancing Career to go and what is Important to you. You have received alot of Good Advice and Some Valid Concerns. What do you Think is best for You?

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

So you've listed his plus and minus characteristics. Can you honestly list your own? Because a lot of times, it's not about what he brings to the partnership, but what things you bring to the partnership that he's more capable of tolerating than others.

3. MultiFaceted Dancer

Really Great Point and Very True -Yet Both Partners have to be able to tolerate and be forgiving of each other's weakness

4. I have to add that he is a very loyal and committed person and we become good friends very quickly.

We never really fight but that is probably because we are both non confrontational sort of people.

I think about my strengths and weaknesses and these are what I think they are:

Strengths:
    - Hard working (that makes 2 of us)
    - Quick learner
    - Attention to details
    - Caring
    - Extensive dance experience

Weaknesses:
    - Sometimes tactless
    - Moody
    - Demanding
    - Pedantic and Perfectionist (drive people mad sometimes)
    - Impatient (that makes 2 of us as well yay !)

The only concern I have is because the same comments come up again and again from different visiting coaches and judges. I am worried that we will be constantly marked down.

I dont give a toss about the offers from other competitors but when DP found out as sometimes he saw some of these boys approach me and gave me their numbers etc I can feel like he become extremely upset and self conscious.

Aside from these external influences I found that we have improved massively over these 6 months and we bring out the best in each other.

We get along so well that had I and him are not in relationship already I am not surprised if we will get together. However, for now we will limit this to good friends as we are commited to our respective partners.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the only problem in your partnership is that you feel you (collectively) are not improving as fast as you would like, possibly due to the flies buzzing in your ears.

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I believe you've answered your own original questions DancingGirl. Again, your partnership is young - and if all the doubt/questions your having about it comes on the heels of a poor performance/competition - it should drive both of you to work hard with objective driven goals. Give this time, you yourself have stated that your "impatient" many partnerless follows would jump at the opportunity to even be able to practice with a lead, who is working on improving, on a consistent basis. You have far too many positives going on here that outweigh the negatives - in your own statements. (-:

7. Sash

Sash New Member

I respond to the coach statement out of personal experience as well as what I've seen, with my own coaches as well as other 'pros'. Coaches, have many incentives to steer partnerships. the best coaches I've seen, never ever, try to influence the outcome of partnerships, the ones who do are the ones who have an alternate motive underneath. Money(mostly), personal attachment to other students, just general dislike or like, whatever. Coaches are people too. People are people. Take all advice with a grain of salt.

8. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Yeah. Quite frankly, I've dismissed some advice if I think they're biased or motive-driven.

Have you danced extensively with a teacher? If so, how did you feel about that versus your amateur partnership? If not, have you considered trying?

9. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Good coaches would advice based on his/her true opinion of how he/she believes the potential of partnership. Certainly there are coaches who would advice against a good potential partner for a student if that person could happen to be his competitor’s student. Of course, if you see this kind of biased motive-driven advices, certainly should obtain opinion from a different coach who you believe to be unbiased.

10. MultiFaceted Dancer

Dancinggirldancing
    How is the Partnership-Friendship Progressing? Are things falling into place for Both of You? Hope all is going the way you guys would like it too.

11. Yes I am keeping this partner .... the storm from the outside is just getting stronger though.

I do believe that given the right coaching and partner he can do very well.

It is hard to lose a partner but harder to lose a friend.

We have managed very hard to keep the friendship platonic while managing to be very close at the same time.

I should give this partnership some more time to prove itself.

12. ew_uni

ew_uni New Member

hello Dance Forums,

i make following Dance Forums part of my dance education and i use the advice offered here a guideline for my conduct and development.

i have been in an amateur partnership for a year. we have competed a couple of times with less than mediocre results. recently my partner announced she is going to do a showcase with another partner.

she has no obligation to be exclusive to me, and this is a good opportunity to showcase her talent.
    i should be happy and excited for her but i can't help feeling hurt. i think i would feel different if she were to do a showcase with a teacher. the leader she is performing with, has no partner.

i know the sensible thing is to discuss this with her, but i don't want to be confrontational and to
    make her feel defensive. also, i don't want to make her feel uneasy about doing the showcase, because
    i think she will enjoy it.

i feel she is frustrated with my lack of improvement. i take lessons on my own in addition to the lessons we share, and i practice on my own.

am i about to be dumped? this hurt and uncertainty is affecting my motivation to continue.

thanks,

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

First question: what is the nature of your partnership? Are you social dancing partners or are you competing? Are you romantic partners, social friends, or is it strictly dancing?

Were you expecting to dance in this showcase with her? Is showcase dancing something that you do or are interested in?

You mentioned that the two of you have competed a few times and the results were not encouraging, apparently. How do you feel that the partnership in general is doing? Do you feel like the two of you are progressing? And do each of you enjoy dancing with the other? How much do you practice together? What I'm wondering is whether you have picked up on her feeling dissatisfied with the partnership, or she maybe has picked up that you are dissatisfied with it. Then again, at least where I am, when we have a showcase, it is not unusual for each participant to dance with several different partners -- it gives everyone a chance to try out different ideas. I currently have two showcase partners. One is a lady that I've been partnered with in lessons for several years now; she's a joy to dance with and we dance well together. But I've been wanting for a while to take a crack at doing my own choreography, and she's not interested in that. So when another lady in our social dance circle approached me about us doing a routine to choreo that we would develop ourselves, I agreed. One day a week, I practice with the one and then take a lesson with the other.

14. ew_uni

ew_uni New Member

thanks cornutt for enlightening me about showcases ( i have never done a showcase)
    so like social dancing it gives you a chance to experience different partners and different
    choreography.

our partnership is strictly dancing, we have a friendship based on dancing, and i
    enjoy working with her.

and like you, my partner has compartmentalized her dancing; i don't sense any lack of focus
    when she is with me.

i guess i get jealous when i hear from i hear from my partner how good her showcase partner
    is, and i get jealous of practice time she spends with him instead of me.

the only thing i have control of is my own dancing. and, if my partner chooses to pursue competition
    with her showcase partner i still have my own dance to carry forward.

thanks,

ew_uni

15. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

My partner is a keeper. I can tell even without weighing the positives and negatives. But just for fun, I'll do that here. I'll even institute a totally arbitrary point system to weigh the relative importance of each factor: 1 point is barely worth mentioning. 2 points is a small consideration. 3 points is somewhat important. 4 points is significantly important. 5 points is the highest consideration. I should note that others here may weigh these factors differently than me.

Negatives:
    2 points for our height mismatch.
    2 points for she and I living far apart. (She's still "local," but about 100 miles separate our homes. This has limited our studio selection.)
    3 points for "jealousy issues."
    1 point for her married status and my single status.

Positives:
    4 points for her drive to improve herself and us as a dance couple.
    5 points for us having nearly identical dance goals.
    4 points for us being personally compatible.
    4 points for us being quite similarly skilled.
    3 points for us being financially responsible.
    3 points for us agreeing about suitable teachers for her, me, and us.
    3 points for the friendship that we have with each other.
    3 points for us being similarly "in decent physical shape."

29-8. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a run away winner!

16. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

I'm curious, what the Jealousy Issues are. You dancing with other partners?

17. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

You nailed it in one. When I am enjoying myself with a skilled follower, she seems to be piqued. But if I dance with a much less skilled partner, she is fine. She fights against the jealousy thing though. We encourage each other to dance with others. So maybe I might just lower that by one point! :)

18. Dean

Dean Member

i am so glad this thread was revived. I am looking for a partner right now. And Dr. Dance's advice is worth more than gold! I will use that as my checklist in my search.

Also, just curious, if dancingirldancing is still around the forum. How is the partnership after 8+ years?

BTW, is there a section of the forum for partner search?

Dr Dance likes this.