General Dance Discussion > P a n t y h o s e

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MissAlyssa, Aug 17, 2003.

1. steveanne

steveanne New Member

Fascination, thank you for the advice, I do back and abdominal exercises, however it maybe the height of my heel that is the problem, I will give your advice a try and thanks again

2. QPO

QPO New Member

Again the conversation has changed from the front listing.....very interesting to see the shifts :)

On the pantyhose front. I wear trousers a lot and use the ankle high socks cheaper....

On the back front you need to strengthen the abdominals to support the back as listed above....always have to hold the stomach in practice everyday..otherwise it will just get weaker...

3. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have this question about fishnets - is there a brand of dance fishnets/pantyhose, which is not waist-high? My smooth dress has a large cut out on the back, I can't wear waist-high pantyhose or underwear with it. My rhythm dress back is also low enough that waist-high fishnets a bit.

4. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Most people I know cut the waistbands off. (carefully of course) With Capezio and Danskin the material is pretty durable so you should not have the problem of them fraying or ripping or such.

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Agreed. You can also pin them to your costume in strategic places so they don't shift around and show. I have one that is very low in front below the navel, so I pinned the fishnets in place below it.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Backaches

You said you're very new to dance - me too. I have chronic back pain (not from dancing!) and have found "the basics" to be critical to survival dancing: warm up and cool down when you practice, push yourself so your muscles condition but don't push so hard you pull a muscle (if you're brand new an hour of solid practice can be a lot), do abdominal exercises and stretching on the days you're not dancing. And when you dance keep your abs tight so they support your back.

When all else fails break out the Vitamin I(buprofen).

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Fraid I have not read this thread (life is only so long - and not, apparently, as the ladder in this particular pair of panty hose). I wear pantyhose to all my standard practises doing standard but am rather tired of them blowing a hole/ladder.

Any recommendations for pantyhose that looks reasonably good under a skirt and is made for a tall person with long legs but will not give out on the second use?

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you could wear hose but cut the feet out and put leg warmers over your shoes/ankles. i have seen that, looks nice.

i do not dance standard with hose. always bare feet. unless i've got practice shoes on, in which case i may be wearing tights.

9. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

You could try tan ballet-type tights. They are a heavier weight, so less likely to wear through.

I too prefer to have bare feet in my shoes. I don't wear my shoes super-tight, so wearing hose gives my foot a tiny bit of slip within the shoe. If I wear a skirt, I wear a longer one and don't worry about my flourescently-white ankles showing.

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I have actually never tried not wearing hose or stockings :oops: Put it down to age - after all, its not decent to show your ankles is it :rolleyes: :D

11. earline

earline Member

Does anyone know where I can buy fishnet stockings with the nylon sole in queen size?

12. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

You could try dancewearsolutions - its recent catalogue has a comprehensive compilation of tights made by bloch, bodywrappers, danskin, capezio, balera. I'm not sure if their catalogue has information on the sizing charts of each manufacturer, so you might want to go straight to the websites of each manufacturer for sizing options. For what it's worth, I've always used capezio fishnets, so I don't know about the pros/cons of the other brands.

13. earline

earline Member

Thank you, Cal

14. Mia

Mia Member

I just had to dig this thread up again as I used to go through tights really fast and it gets expensive! The other also is that dancing in ripped tights just doesn't look good. It looks like I've had a fight with a cat that has sharp claws LOL

I see a lot of talk about the type of tights people use and I'm taking notes. I'm also wondering how high are the denier on your tights? ..... Since I dance in a very cool environment, I've been dancing in Wolford tights that are 50 to 100 denier. Wolford have some material that actually is good at regulating temperature plus at this denier, they tend to not rip easily. I also love how they have some styles that have a padded footbed so I get extra cushioning! If some tights are slippery, I have been known to wear a pair of socks over them to get some grip for dancing too.

15. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I've tried a bunch of different options, but I keep coming back to Capezio UltraSoft.

Thick (but not so thick that my shoes don't fit), not overly hot, and have a waistband that doesn't dig in. They stand up to washing really well - just put them in a delicate bag, chuck them in the wash with your other stuff, and hang to dry. I also like that they tend to get holes rather than runs - easier to just stitch up and keep wearing that way! They also come in a bunch of different nude shades (as well as black and ballet pink), a low-rise version, and different foot styles (full-foot, convertible, stirrup, crop and footless IIRC).

I am in them for practice/lessons, and compete in them for standard (in a slightly darker shade than I practice in, to match my tan). I'm wearing them in my avatar picture.

Really, the only time I deviate lately is when I try a new-to-me brand that is on sale, or on the super-rare occasions where I'm competing or performing a show in latin (when I'm in the seamless professional fishnets with a full sole).

16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Like FancyFeet, I keep coming back to Capezio, but the Professional weight, not the UltraSoft. I snip the waistband, so it doesn't dig in, wash them in a delicate bag, hang dry. Also holes rather than runs. And much more "oomph" holding my aging thighs in place. For Smooth and Standard.