Ballroom Dance > Need to know if these songs work for my upcoming recital

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by VronskyWasSoVain, Oct 22, 2017.

1. I like to pick my own songs to dance to for recitals at my school. Being a music fiend, I'm not a fan of the top 40 or mainstream stuff. I like to pick songs I like to listen to which also fit the type of dance I'm gonna be doing. I'm a fan of alternative music and a lot of my tastes are in that area.

That being said, I will be doing waltz and cha cha for my recital. I was wondering if these songs work.

Waltz:

Bjork - All Is Full of Love

Portishead - Glory Box

Cha cha:

No Doubt - Detective

Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You

If the above songs don't fit the dances, feel free to recommend songs that do. Thanks a bunch!

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Since you're going to be leading, you need to have command of the rhythm. Are you able to count out the rhythm of the dance in time to the music? And is it the proper tempo for the dance?

Maybe your instructor has a suggestion. If not, I'd stick to a song you can count out, even if it's one of those boring old songs. As you gain experience, you might be able to select something else for your second showcase.

RiseNFall likes this.
  3. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I agree with @snapdancer. You could go through threads here suggesting songs for various dances, but TBH, like the rest of the internet, just because something is posted here doesn't mean it's true, or a good idea. :eek: (I find the song suggestions to sometimes be a bit off base, but YMMV.)

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Edwin Collins song is cha. Need to slow down to american tempo. About 8 percent reduction should do it. No doubt song is west coast swing don’t use that

5. Mr 4 styles

Waltz has to be 3/4 time. The other songs are 4/4. Portishead song is nightclub two step Bjork song is not waltz either

Borazine likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Waltz needs to be powerful and moving music to feel the rise and fall. You should want to die or kill yourself or cry at the end of a good waltz

Horchata hai caliptus by Alabinia

Siuil a run by Lisa kelly

Borazine likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Bjork song is a night club 2 also but Bjork is singing between the beats ( in bolero timing nonetheless)on purpose which will drive you mad if you try to dance it

Trust me I’ve tried too many of this type of song

RiseNFall and Borazine like this.
  8. Yanou

Yanou Member

Good point! I myself is looking for a Waltz song, so I'm going to listen to the song I chose to see it fits your criteria.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Slow down the Edwyn Collins song by 10 percent and it's perfect. It definitely will work for a sexy than usual cha cha. Be confident.

Not sure if you like the Goo Goo Dolls... but I don't hear many people Waltzing to it (but it's Viennese...)

10. Mr 4 styles

8 percent. Just sayin

11. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Pot-ay-toes, Pot-ah-toes :bookworm:

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with all that has been stated so far. Though the No Doubt song sounds like salsa or possibly samba (if slowed down) to me.

Yeah that Bjork song was making me want to stab something.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

For the Bjork and Portishead songs, you're going to need to be doing Alsatian waltz (8:4 time) and I don't know if the teacher is teaching that kind of Waltz. Probably not.

And by Alsation Walts, you'll be counting against a 1-2-1-2-1-2 rhythm when the dance is asking you 1-2-3-1-2-1-2-3.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  14. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Hella good by no doubt is a killer cha cha

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  15. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Waltzes - dark waltz - Victoria Tocca version - you will need to slow it down

Una furtiva lagrima by Izzy

Il Gladiatore- Russell Watson - ultimate ballroom album 13 (I think)