Ballroom Dance > Need help re: Paso Doble costume.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dedmeet, Jul 6, 2009.

1. dedmeet

dedmeet New Member

First off, hello! This is my first time posting here. I have been reading some of the forums for a while, but figured this might be a good place to post a question.

Background: I have been dancing about four years doing ballroom dancing at the local studio with a smattering of public exhibition and group performances under my belt.

This year, my coach and partner have wrangled me into doing the Paso Doble - dance that no one at our studio has done in many years. I am enjoying learning the new dance and look forward to performing it in our upcoming showcase.

Here is the issue: I really have no idea what to wear for a costume! Especially when you figure in this factor - I am a plus-size guy (2XLT or 3XL shirts).

My question: what kind of costumes, shirts, jackets, etc. can you suggest for a plus-size guy doing the Paso Doble and needing to stick to a pretty tight budget? It does not need to be too fancy, but reasonable cost and being suitable for a larger man is a must!

Some have suggested an ensemble of black pants, white shirt, and a black and gold bolero jacket over top. Whaddya think?

Thanks for any and all help you care to provide!

2. contracheck

contracheck New Member

To me, Bolero Jackets work well for a showcase, which obviously needs some extra flare and drama. There are hundreds of Bolero jackets in all sizes at eBay under $20. I cover these Jackets with about $700 worth of carefully chosen rhinestones, but you don't have to cover the jacket with rhinestones completely. I have about a dozen of them now in all colors. They look so good that my eagle-eyed coach asked me to sell some of them to her new students, but I refused. If you watch Dancing with the Stars, most of the Paso jackets the dancers wear are Bolero jackets.

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

um, bolero jacket perhaps not a great idea for a larger man

4. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Not necessarilly. If you watch Dacing With The Stars, you will see that a large football players like Jerry Rice wear a Bolero jacket in their Paso performance.

5. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Welcome to DF!

6. Hi welcome to DF! I can't give much advice since I know more about female costumes but I would suggest maybe going on YouTube and look through the various Paso showdances to check out what the male dancers are wearing. Hope that helps :)

7. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The best source for Paso costumes is DWTS. See, among others, Mark Balas, Derek, Tony Dovolani, the French actor who danced with Cherryl Burke. In DWTS, you can scan through a wide variety of Paso costumes quickly. Never, however, look at Louis van Amstel, who is a great dancer and a choreographer but, to me, he has absolutely no idea how to dress for any dance let alone Paso. Never look at competition Paso either in search of Paso costumes because there they wear just the regular Latin costumes, which is an insult to Paso dance. How do you like to see a matador entering the colliseum in a reguar Latin costume to fight a bull? Paso requires a certain ritual, and proper dresdsing is the minimum requirement.

8. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF dedmeet!

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Jerry Rice is not a larger man...

10. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Other small football players who looked good in Bolero jackets were Emmit, Larry, etc. That French actor (Cherryl's partner) was not a midget either but he looked fabulous in his Bolero jackets. I was finally able to acquire two Bolero jackets that looked like his (one was black lace and the other was white). Bolero jackets are basically womens dress, so you have to be careful that you don't look like a cross dresser in them. I therefore usually cover them with a lot of rhinestones, which also make them quite heavy in the end. You have to dress properly when you dance Paso. I don't understand why they enforce tailsuit in Standard but they don't enforce a proper attire in Paso, which is a serious and solem dance where one of the living things is going to die.

11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Because there's not time to change in the middle of a 5 dance heat at most competitions.

ajiboyet likes this.
  12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Same for Tango.
    If you want to worship the intricacies of Paso (and fwiw, do REAL matadors wear rhinestones?), fine. Dance it as a showcase or solo and do it true justice as you see fit. But as part of a 5-dance Latin event, it deserves no more or less attention than the others.

BOT - it really depends on where a man's "large-ness" is located. Clearly a bolero jacket over a beer gut would be tacky. A bright or embellished fitted vest would work better in that case, or even a red shirt with black vest. Satin cape optional :p.

13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

A couple of months ago in the height of DWTS season, CBS's 60 Min covered two hugely popular Spanish Matador brothers with a lot of close ups on their spectacular bull fight costumes. Their costumes were rhinestoned heavily.

14. BallroomSparkle

BallroomSparkle New Member

Hmm, it's a bit tough to recommend something specific without seeing your photo. Bolero jacket is obviously the first things that comes to mind, but you could also do without it as well. E.g. wear a large red belt, white shirt with wide-ish sleeves - something like that. Have you seen the outfit your partner is planning to wear for the showcase?

15. dedmeet

dedmeet New Member

Hi all!

Sorry for the delay, but I was away from my computer for a while.

I have not seen my partner's costume yet, so any choices will depend on what she decides on. She is looking at a Flamenco style dress of some sort.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I do not have a means to post my pics right now, but hopefully I can post pics later of me and my partner properly attired!

16. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just go for all black in something that's flattering and makes you feel good.

17. flamenco fingers

flamenco fingers New Member

At the risk of causing you to overheat you might want to consider a compression top underneath the bolero jacket. this is just to get your physique to be held better underneath the bolero jacket, which can now be bright and colorful if you so choose. If you go for a matte black then your physique can be less noticeable and it also means that you don't have to be bare chested if you are self-conscious. Adding a cummerbund can also break up the shape and deal with waistline issues. Or you could be a rugby build and thus not need any ways to deal with waistline problems.

18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi dedmeet, are you still around? Excuse me, I´m not a ballroom dancer, I'm a tango dancer, but in our community also paso-dobles are danced occasionally. The bullfight-torero-corrida-style basically does not fit for this dance. Only in the ballroom community it is styled this way, not elsewhere in the world. I would recommend a 1940s outfit. Watch the costumes from Carlos Saura´s influential film "Bodas de Sangre":

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Halloween, perfect day to bring a thread up from the dead!

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Baron Samedi. Zommmm-bie.

Aw heck, the post date isn't all that obvious, especially since it's in pale gray and small font (on my machine anyway).