Tango Argentino > Need help for friends visiting Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Reuven Thetanguero, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

Dear friends of mine (a couple) are planning a visit to Buenos Aires in mid August this year. They already dance for a couple of years, but would like to immerse themselves more in the Tango world.

They looked into a package offered by Tango organizers in the US that includes every day Milongas, classes, practicas and personal “dance Assistance”, whatever that means.

Their schedule, however, conflicts with that of the tour, so they would like to construct a similar experience on their own.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? I know there are quite few members here that live in BA and perhaps even are involved in Tango professionally.

Thank for any help.

2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Contact Escuela de Tango de Buenos Aires. They will construct such experience for them a la carte.
    http://escuelatangoba.com/

Reuven Thetanguero likes this.
  3. Someday

Someday Member

One of the most important decisions to make is where to stay. So, if they wanting to take classes at DNI (which I highly recommend) and on a daily basis, then stay near where your classes will be. There is no point in losing time traveling via taxi or the subway to take classes, if taking classes is your goal. DNI is a school with a great process for instruction both private and public. I spent 3 weeks taking classes there and stayed within a 15 minute walking distance. I also recommend taking private classes from instructors (especially in the off season) as rates are even less expensive. I was paying about 30-40 USD/hour for excellent privates at DNI and elsewhere. I recommend Alejandro Puerta (non-DNI instructor) but check trip advisor here for his and other's reviews.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...41-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

For milongas, they'll be taking taxis all around town so it doesn't matter so much where they stay assuming their in the standard areas of San Telmo, Recolleta, etc.

I wasn't into professional tango performances but you can find them at many locations and there are shops along Florida street which sell tickets to such shows.

Buy shoes! Plan on one to two days searching for shoes. BaS is heaven for tango shoe lovers and at a minimum you can spend one day checking out 3-6 shops to see what you like. Shoes are about 2/3 the cost as they are in the states. Bring USD as there is always a discount for paying cash instead of credit cards.

DNI school is in a quieter section of town than Escuela de Tango which is in downtown. I'm not a big downtown lover so I enjoyed where I stayed (Jean Jaures y Cordoba) and it was close to Alejandro's studio.

Also, on these tours, the organizer will often hire one or two taxi dancers for the group. So, if your friends are a little unsure of themselves in the environment, they can hire a taxi dancer or two to meet at the milongas.

The above is the typical stuff the tour organizers do that is tango specific. There is also the sight seeing stuff of which you can find out on trip advisor/internet. The other idea that just occurred to me is to hire or join a single day Milonga and/or Tango tour where you get the guided experience for one day. It might not be a bad way to get a quick introduction.
    cheers.

Mladenac and Reuven Thetanguero like this.
  4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

ETBA is not exactly downtown. It is a Congreso/Balvanera area that, albeit not the quietest and the cleanest, quite comfortable and functional, and also safer lately than Palermo. I always stay there, too.

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Jon and Judy were the ones I hired for one of my first trips.
    It was not a package of theirs, I just wrote them the list of my a-la-carte requests. Book privates with teacher X, find me a guesthouse that will be at walking distance from the said teacher, find me a taxi dancer for group classes, bring me to this milonga on my first day, to that one on my last day, find me a tailor who will sew me a tango suit, and so on.

Reuven Thetanguero likes this.
  6. jantango

jantango Active Member

My first visit to Buenos Aires in 1996 was with a group tour for two weeks. I stayed on my own the third week. We took taxis or a small private bus everywhere, so I didn't get to know where I was going. Walking is the best way to get around and discover things. Staying near the Congress is recommended for walking to the milongas. Those who prefer a DO-IT-YOURSELF tour will learn and discover more on their own. That's what I did on subsequent visits on my own.

My recommendation is:
    Rent a room or an apartment, live like a porteno, observe what goes on in the milongas, take free guided walking tours of the neighborhoods, attend free concerts and immerse yourself in the culture. Don't take lots of classes.