Swing Discussion Boards > Lindy -> ECS transition

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Swing Learner, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Swing Learner

Swing Learner Member

I was taught some Lindy -> ECS and ECS -> Lindy transitions a few months ago.

I remember and have been using the transitions (in both directions: Lindy <-> ECS) that are done at the rock-step, although there was another Lindy->ECS transition that I'm having difficulty remembering.

It was, I think an Inside or Outside Turn to ECS from the Lindy 'swung out' (if that is the correct term) position.

Thanks in advance if anyone here can help me with this.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Lindy Hop and East Coast Swing are both swing dances that consist primarily of 8 beat and 6 beat patterns. (I'm not the first one to notice this!) Lindy Hop starts with 8 count, and ECS starts with 6 count. According to Skippy Blair, as you become a more advanced dancer, you start to learn what he other dance started with.
    If you want to explore that "theoretical" stuff, which can relaly help understand what the heck is going on, check out her various postings.

I know I was totally overwhelmed with how you could go from a triple triple rock step to walk walk triple triple for several years.
    Years later I was still unsure about how "doubles" "triples" and "singles" could go together.

If my Frankie Manning Lindy Hop tape is correct (it's Frankie Manning, how could it not be?) the swing out starts with what is basically a rock step, and ends with a triple.
    Since your next step CAN be (usually is) a rock step, you can lead an inside or outside turn, or any pattern that is commonly taught as "ECS."

3. Swing Learner

Swing Learner Member

Mr Pastor, thank you so much for your reply.

I now realize that my query was a bit lacking in detail.

Actually, I have been doing ECS <-> Lindy <-> ECS transitions 'at rock-step' comfortably during dances for a few weeks now.

I agree that the change in beat patterns was confusing at first, but I'm past that.

What I am looking for, specifically, is a different method for transitioning (other than transitioning at the rock-step).

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Tell you what, why don't you specifiy that you want to go from this pattern in X to this patttern in Y.

If you really are past being confused by beat patterns you should be able to imagine going from "a swingout," doing only the first 1 2 123, but then doing a 123 followed by a rock step and your ECS pattern. When did the transition occur? Does it really matter.

Or, start a swingout 1 2 123 then a step tap, followed by your ECS pattern.
    The transition there happened???

Think steps, or not steps, and beats rather than complete "patterns."

5. AirColor

AirColor Member

There are probably infinitely many transitions from ECS to Lindy and back. The main difference is the body position and direction of momentum, so you should be able to get the hang of it after a while.

Here are some beginner tips for transition:
    ECS to Lindy:
    -After a rock step side by side, take a triple step in front of your follow and send her across you to a swing out
    (most common)
    -Rock step together facing each other and go straight into lindy.
    -Instead of letting her rock step, pull a little quicker and make her step forward to get a smoother lindy intro
    -Lead a "hop" motion by gently pushing your follow down towards the floor when you're side by side, and send her forward. Freeze. Start Lindy
    -Catch her during inside turn and send her across you to a swing out (during the first triple step). This requires you to move more forward after the rock step than usual.

Lindy to ECS:
    -Lindy circle. This is the most common way to transition to Charleston or ECS because it lets you end in side by side rock step
    -Do a 6 count sugar push and let her rock step instead of going into swingout.
    -Outside turn during a swingout, instead of facing her, catch up to her (side by side) and rock step together.

6. Swing Learner

Swing Learner Member

Thank you very much for the reply, Steve. I appreciate it.

7. Swing Learner

Swing Learner Member

AirColor, that's awesome information! Thank you.