Lindy 1st timer

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by MAJ28, Jan 29, 2006.

1. MAJ28

MAJ28 New Member

A friendly girl I met at the local swing social (predominatelly ecs/jitterbug) convinced me to try lindy tonight. For any of you that have only done jitterbug/ecs, and are an amateur like myself, be prepared. Lindy requires a much greater understanding of frame, as well as much more coordination then ecs. I'm an average ecs person, but lindy - I felt like a big loser. I'll be checking out the forum this week, and practicing before next week - I'd love ot learn it, but it is tough starting out.

I'm still stuck getting used to the basic.

┬╗Jason

2. chandra

chandra New Member

this be true, this be true...

Lindy is totally fun once you get over the initial stumbline block... Actually, it can be fun while your getting over the initial hardbit too... Just remember that it IS more difficult to learn than ECS, so dont get to discouraged!

3. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Lindy requires so much more attention to the details of the dance that sometimes it's not as fun as ECS-type... unless you're pro. :-/

4. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

While Lindy does require more work to master, I enjoy it way way more than ECS. The connection, the improv, the musicality - it's all much more involved, which as you progress becomes more fun. ECS swing is nice for a break (tempo, brain power, etc), but I am always bummed if a night of dancing has more ECS than lindy. Just my 2 cents...

So work hard to get past the initial stumbling block! It's frickin' awesome when you're good at it! And the ladies love a man who can lindy ;)

5. luh

luh Active Member

interesting - why did never anyone tell me - i'd have started right away. :D - just kidding ...

I'm just gonna keep in the other posts - lindy is way harder, but way more fun. in thebeginning it is more brainpower, but in the meantime - if you are lucky and have a musicality class someday like i had, than you'll figure out, that everything for a good dance you need is listening to the music. It'll tell you the moves, - the connection, the tention, the amount you kick in the charleston, - just everything. and this experience is so great - i never reached that in jitterbug/ecs. (i've started in ecs/jitterbug - and if you search in old posts - like last years - you'll find me defending how cool ecs/jitterbug is, but by now - just love lindy - "my only one and true love" ;)

keep swingin pal
    luh

6. MAJ28

MAJ28 New Member

I really like the lindy (visually,) it's so smooth and looking and you can really see the connection... of course I guess the most impressive things in life are the most difficult. I'm going to practice the steps a lot before next weekend, so hopefully I won't feel like such a fool. Thanks for the words of encouragement - it was odd for me because at the place where I do ecs there are a lot of people as experienced or less experienced then I - but this group I was in the really bad minority.

7. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

The connection. The magic is in the connection. Once you've had the true experience, you'll always want to come back for more. You get addicted, and if you're dancing and can't find the right connection again, it's just so frustrating. It's almost like a drug. Once you've tasted it, you're hooked. And you need your regular fix, or you'll get depressed and frustrated. :lol:

Okay, seriously, Lindy Hop is great. It is a bit more difficult, and it takes some dedication, but if you have the time to put into it, it's totally worth it. Go for it.

8. MAJ28

MAJ28 New Member

I've also noticed, it's much more physically demanding...

9. luh

luh Active Member

true, but lindy is not always smooth. lindy is the way the music plays. Take a look at the dance scene out of malcolm X. They are going like wild in that movie.

luh

10. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Just for the sake of being argumentative (I'm home sick in bed (with my laptop), and got nothing better to do), even when being wild you should still be smooth.

That is, all lead and follow, the connection, should still be as smooth as possible. If not the beatuful connection is lost.

But I understand what you mean, the term "smooth Lindy" is about a certain way of dancing the lindy, where the wildness is not emphasized. So "smooth" is a term that can be missunderstood.

(Okay, forgive me for this post. As I said, I'm home sick with nothing better to do.)

11. hepcat

hepcat New Member

Once you upgrade to lindy and master that, the next step up is balboa - even more difficult! Don't get me wrong, I love lindy as much as the next guy, but there's just something about bal that for me is even more addictive. It took me awhile to first get used to lindy. I hadn't actually wanted to learn it at first, but took some privates because a female friend of mine wanted to learn it. It was frustrating at first, but once when I was doing jitterbug, I discovered I had transitioned to lindy without realizing it. That's when I started to like it. Then bal was just as frustrating, however I was enamored with its look as I'd seen it danced at various gatherings, so I started taking all the bal classes at the workshops I attended. Once I understood the connection, it just clicked and I've been hooked since.

I once overheard some lindy hoppers (at DLX) loudly complain that balboa steals all the awesome lindy leads/follows away. I just smirked to myself and thought "You got that right!", although like I said, I need to lindy just as much as bal.

Next, I'm learning blues dance - then I'll consider myself well rounded. ;)

-Hepcat

12. It's Wonderful

I'm at that frustrating point of trying to get bal! Mainly because I don't have a lead to practice with a lot, but hopefuly it'll click soon. Blues comes more naturaly, but I still need a lot of work. Then I, too, will be a well rounded swing dancer! Ballroom - eh, still needs a lot of work.

13. luh

luh Active Member

i don't mind. Hope you are gonna fell better soon -
    just to keep the discussion up -
    what i meant was not at all about loosing connection - there are so many different connections you usually use when leading, and yes, even in wild dancing, the connection has to be smooth, so that there is no stress for the follower - but it does not at all conflict with my post :)
    hope you are soon on your earthpads again.
    luh

14. hepcat

hepcat New Member

You know, I first learned it by taking classes at workshops (as I mentioned), but the workshops were few and far between so I was only getting to bal for a weekend about every other month. I too lacked a follow at home to practice with, as there was no bal community in my town. So I basically kept asking around until I found a follow who was willing to learn with me. I bought some tapes and we met once a week, reviewed the tapes and kept trying things out. It of course helped that I had taken numerous classes "abroad". I knew how it was supposed to feel because I'd had moments of clarity in those various classes when I'd danced with some good follows who were in rotation. Then a follow moved here from California who had already been learning bal. She had her quirks, but her connection and basic were terrific and taught me a lot. The other follow moved away at about the same time, so I continued practicing with the girl from Cali. Since then, I've been in the exponential learning curve and am now getting comfortable with experimenting, sliding around, and stealing moves from various video clips. I organized a weekly bal practice and since I DJ, I've been playing more bal music and it's catching on! Now I've got plenty of follows to bal with at the dances! It's heaven. *sigh*

So hang in there. Find a guy who's willing to learn it with you. I went to this aerobics room at a community center to start out. I'd bring my laptop and a boom box and we'd watch the DVDs - shuffling through them frame by frame. But now I have a new apartment with a room with a wood floor, which saves me the 5 bucks, although I am paying a lot more in rent. ;) It's a convenience thing.

15. luh

luh Active Member

bal seems interesting, blues is just a thing you learn by the road, - to have more space to improv, - bal'd be intersting because of the fast music, though i'd prefer to be able to swing to hellzapoppin music
    luh

16. hepcat

hepcat New Member

No doubt. I think maybe if I didn't have asthma, I might more readily fast lindy to hellzapoppin' music than bal. Since bal requires less energy (not to mention it being very pleasant), I'll likely do it before fast lindy 9 times out of 10. But you CAN put more energy into an aerial-heavy bal-swing with a little charleston thrown in. I think bal looks smoother than lindy to the really fast stuff. As many have commented to me "It looks like you're floating".

Incidentally, I have a hard time doing "moves" while doing fast lindy. I always feel like I either don't have the time to execute a move or I don't have the "freeness" to execute some turns. It's as if the connection is too tight and I'm afraid I will hurt my follow. There aren't any points where I feel like I can freely lead some turns unless I force them (and I'm unwilling to do that). I've seen some really cool moves at events and stuff and they look so free and unforced. I can't figure out how to establish that freedom of motion. Maybe the follows I'm dancing with are causing this, but I don't know - maybe it's me.

17. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Good. Seriously, the more you do it, the quicker it will become natural too you. Once the steps are natural you can stop thinking about them and focus on the lead.

Practice whereever and whenever you can, even if you're just walking out the steps slowly.

That said, Lindy is hard. But truthful, I don't think it's any harder than other dances to learn in order to become functional. The steps of a swingout (8 count basic) in Lindy are more natural than the triples and rocksteps of ECS. You already have some basic concepts of leading down from ECS, and like all dancers you have some bad habits that need to break (the arm staying high in the video clip). As you break that Lindy will become easier and easier. In fact, having some ECS your Lindy already is easier....you already know the 6 count lindy basic!

The concept of "hard" is in the connection. It takes a long time to get and a life time to attempt mastering. Professional dancers will spend much of their time working on swingouts getting that connection. The other hard part is capturing the nature of Lindy. Yes, you can be functional and do patterns and moves taught in a class, or you can work at becoming good and learn to be musical and improvise. Those two things hold a lot of the character of Lindy. Both take a while, so get functional, keep practicing and keep working at it and it will seem easier and easier as you go along.

Good Luck!

18. huey

huey New Member

I'm convinced Lindy is harder than most dances. And if by 'the basic' you mean the 8-count 'Swingout' then the basic is hard too. As you may know, learning to lead is also harder than learning to follow. In other words, it takes lots of time and patience. I suggest making friends with other leaders you admire, and asking their advice.

You might find these online lessons useful (chargeable, but short previews are free) ...
    http://www.idance.net/moves.php?action=search&keyword=lindy hop - beginner series

19. hepcat

hepcat New Member

I'm going to go ahead and pre-empt the follows who object to your statement. I both follow and lead and I agree. Following is loads easier. it frees your mind to play and be creative. It takes more effort for a lead to play and be creative because you've got to plan your moves. A follow doesn't have to think, just react and follow a basic set of rules. They don't have to know the moves. Ask many follows how a particular move is done and they will have difficulty explaining it unless it's been broken down in a class and they've heard it explained.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because one could argue that since I'd been leading for a long time before I learned to follow, I had less of a learning curve. I'll concede the point. However, sometimes I feel like my follow is better because I don't have to concentrate as much - just follow the basic rules.

20. It's Wonderful

OK, there is the "not thinking" part - but sometime shutting your brain off is just as difficult as planning moves. It's especially hard when a lead isn't quite sure what he wants to do, and you have to take what he gives you and make it look good. And not take over the dance, of course. I've just started leading, and while it takes a different kind of mind set, I wouldn't say it's any more easy or difficult than following, after you progress to a certain point. There is a very different learning curve, but once you reach a certain point I'd say there about equal.