General Dance Discussion > Jim DiCecca resigns from USA Dance Governing Council

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by s2k, May 14, 2017.

1. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Via Facebook, 5/14:

"It is with sadness that I am announcing my resignation as the Vice President of Social Dance for USA Dance. When I ran for and was elected to this position it was with great plans to reinvigorate and grow our social department, strengthen our chapters and increase the value of being a member. As an elected member of the Executive Committee I wanted to help restore USA Dance to the great level it should be on after the recent years of turmoil. As the months have passed and the newest President and Governing Council have become entrenched I find that I cannot continue to be involved on the path being set or participate in the way the organization is being governed and manipulated.

"Our Executive Committee has been marginalized in such a way that the committee is being bypassed in planning and strategy to where proposals are brought to the GC directly and immediately voted on (where a majority of the voters are direct appointees of the president serving for the first time). Those elected officials on the EC have been considered obstructionists and not progressive if we disagree with any proposal.

"During 2016 our EC and GC worked tirelessly and cohesively to put USA Dance back on track after some trying and difficult times. Great progress had been made. In these few months of 2017 I have seen valuable contributors pushed out of the organization for which they have labored and loved. Even after being told they would hold a position and be involved.
    In an organization with declining membership, lost chapters, declining entries at competitions, and loss of membership confidence, our leadership feels it more important to add professionals to positions in the organization and create professional competitions. This is all happening without a published plan of action or authorized budget. Our current EC & GC is populated with a vast amount of business experience from many arenas. However, it has been said that the only ones who know anything are the president and DanceSport VP. USA Dance is supposed to be run for the benefit of its members and the growth of dance in the USA, not as a dictatorship. We are not supposed to be like the other dance organizations but better, honorable and transparent.

"As a leader and team player, I have prided myself on team play and also being a good follower. However, when I cannot support the plays being called I can no longer play on that team.

"For those who elected me and to those who I have been trying to inspire please know that it deeply pains me to be withdrawing and this decision does not come easily. My deepest apologies should you feel that I have failed you.

"Sincerely,
    Jim"

2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Oof. Yikes. Etc. :( :eek: :(

bia likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

This has to stop

4. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

USA Dance used to be USABDA (United States _Amateur_ Ballroom Dance
    Association). Sigh...

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

<sigh> Maybe NDCA gets my money after all.

6. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

While I hear what these resignees have has to say, it bothers me that they're abandoning ship without anything other than general remarks about "not being heard" or "being pushed out" or "don't like the direction the President is going" without any real substance. So I don't know what to think or to believe. But I do know there are two sides to every story.

The DanceSport meeting minutes show what's been introduced and "Motion passes unanimously" is a common statement beneath each motion - for months, and as recently as May 2, 2017. If there's so much dissention, why everything unanimous? If everything's unanimous, why resign? Why not dissent?

There are no GC/EC meeting minutes for April - why? Under the March 1 meeting minutes, often there's "Opposed – none, Abstentions – none Approved – unanimously" - so if there's no much discord - why is it not showing up in the minutes?

This leads me to believe there are personal issues going on instead of business ones.

DerekWeb and atk like this.
  7. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

The dancers are now... politicians...

cornutt likes this.
  8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I suppose that the april meeting notes are going to be 'corrected' as the Dec 2016 ones were. Transparency stopped the day that the new folks got into office - and is one of the reasons for the resignations. I too would love to see who voted for what and what was discussed...

9. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I disagree. Meeting minutes are being published, and these council members are (were) agreeing with every motion passed. If you visit the site, the minutes ARE transparent: the minutes show exactly who voted for what, who exactly abstained, etc. There is transparency. Names are listed.

Which is why this leads me back to "personal issues." The kids maybe aren't playing nice in the sandbox, but when class is in session and what's being said is recorded, it seems like business is taking place. And if this is the case, then yeah, the president is going to fill the council with people who will do the agenda. Why not stay on board and rock the boat!? If it is the Titanic, then be the violinist and make some noise.

Regarding the December meeting minutes: they were corrected due to potential libelous statements. And rightfully so.

10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

From what I know of Ann and Irina (I don't know Jim), I am inclined to believe them and give their comments serious consideration at the very least.

It is very concerning that folks who wanted to contribute enough to run for election for demanding volunteer positions feel they can't contribute in their elected positions.

Obviously I don't know the inside story, but neither do you, S2k,unless you were at the meetings and whatnot. Reading minutes only gives us whatever info is there, we have to trust its accuracy, and like all typed communications many subtleties will be missing.

Bailamosdance and s2k like this.
  11. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

:) And having been on the board of a volunteer organization which included many "strong personalities", myself included, this is sometimes a good thing.

12. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I agree entirely. I did not mean to suggest that we should do otherwise.

raindance likes this.
  13. Transparency did die when the new officers took over and so did the belief that the officers are there to serve the best interest of the members. Scrubbing of meeting minutes by officers who were not in attendance and could not present an accurate portrayal of what took place is never a sign of full transparency and openness. I know for a fact that there have been many discussions and votes between a quorum of the GC members via email since January 1st yet no minutes of these are provided like they were in the past. Furthermore you will see that there are no EC minutes because the President is ignoring the EC functions, per the bylaws, and bypassing the elected officers and taking all items straight to the GC which is filled with his appointees. Also there was objections to several of the bylaw changes which are not reflected in the minutes so the comment about subtleties missing is 100% correct. I know all of the individuals involved and my trust is with those elected by the members who are now resigning because they can only beat their head against the wall for so long.

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Hey, um, so how many chapters has USAD lost? I've only heard of one, Philly? that went rogue.

I know Louisville punted on their biennial comp, but I'd guess that had nothing to do with the political climate.

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I knew Jim in passing, once. He struck me as a straight shooter. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of any side of this situation, but it's easy for me to affirm the merit of "serious consideration at the very least."

s2k and raindance like this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

And the hits just keep on coming...

Loki likes this.
  17. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Daphna resigned.