IMPERIAL and BLACKPOOL competitions 2012

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by gingerbread, May 20, 2012.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

I don't know that much about international competitions, but I just look at the results for the Amateur Latin and Ballroom couples at the Imperial Championship that ended yesterday. In the Ballroom section I was struck by seeing 2 couples from China in the Final and 2 couples in the Semi Finals. In the Latin, there were none in the Final, but 2 from China in the Finals. I do not remember this strength from Cbefore, although I have seen many, many entries from China in the past few years in the early rounds. I would appreciate any feedback from people who know far more than I.
  2. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Many of the European couples are focusing on the WDSF competitions and staying away from WDC competitions. So many of those couples are not in the mix anymore. This is one of the main reasons for so many Chinese couples. I think it was the same last year. That said, there are a few really good couples from china now.
  3. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

I see, thank you. Will that affect Blackpool also?

4. hereKittyKitty

Most likely. We should start seeing the entry list on dancesportinfo in about 4 days.
  5. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Blackpool is not restricted this year.
  6. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Well, now I checked the results of the WDSF Crystal comp in London, and you are right, no China in the top 12, all Italians or Eastern Europeans, but also no USA. How come? I checked both Amateur and Pro.

7. hereKittyKitty

I think a few of our couples did non sanctioned events and were banned by the WDSF. So that's one reason. The other reason is NDCA comps are more prevalent here and they are aligned with the WDC. So our couples are more into WDC events. This is the way I understand it but I could be wrong.

As far as Blackpool not being restricted, I believe it is not restricted by the WDSF but some individual federations are still restricting. Again, this is my understanding but I could be wrong.