Ballroom Dance > I want to learn ballroom dancing, but...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by airneri, Feb 8, 2008.

1. airneri

airneri New Member

I am new to this sport and besides seeing it on TV...I know nothing! I want to start taking a class, but I don't have a partner (hubby is in an out-of-state school). I wanted to know if it was possible to take a group class without bringing a partner. Is it a big deal? I don't want to be in the corner looking at everybody else dance, if you know what I mean.

I was hoping to sign up soon and start dancing:banana:! Any input or advice is appreciated...

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome...and be assured it is absolutely not neccessary to take a partner to a group class...my husband travels alot and I go by myself more often that I go with him

3. airneri

airneri New Member

What if I go to a class and I'm the only one without a partner? How does that usually work? This is probably a stupid question, but like I said...I am clueless:confused:!

4. fascination

I would find that highly unlikely ...and even so...partners usually are asked to rotate...and even then, if folks were unwilling(again highly unlikely) the studio would provide a solution

5. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Most of the time, group classes are set up so that everyone rotates regularly, even people who come with someone. Usually, the guys are in a line and the ladies move down a partner whenever the instructor says to. Most teachers believe you learn better this way, rather than repeating the same mistakes with the same partner. :)

When you find a place you would like to take classes, call them to be sure they rotate in group classes. Do you have a place in mind?

6. airneri

airneri New Member

Yes, I have two places in mind (nearest ones I could find close to me). I want to visit them both to see which one I would like better. It's funny, but one seems to be in a retirement community type area and the other is near a military base. Hhmmm?!

7. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Good idea to try both! One thing you may want to keep in mind is that the franchise studios (Arthur Murray, Fred Astaire) usually require packages of private lessons in order to take their group classes. Indpendent studios generally allow you to attend just group classes. And of course, community centers, etc. generally offer only group classes.

Good luck! Enjoy dancing!

8. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF airneri!

As others have suggested group classes normally allow unpartnered people to join in. Some studios keep track of the "balance" of the class (leaders vs. followers) when people are signing up to make sure the classes don't become too uneven (and that is the only thing I've heard of that might prevent a unpartnered person from being allowed in the class).

Glad to have you here on DF and hope to see you around the boards!

9. airneri

airneri New Member

Thanks for your help, everyone! I can't wait to get started. I just hope they have a great group dance program.

10. jenniegirl

jenniegirl New Member

i am sure you will have a great time learning how to dance. i started out dance lessons by going alone too. it was rather scary at that time, but i have made many new friends while learning latin dance. i just wanted to say, starting out is always difficult but once you tried it, its not that hard after all. go for it!

11. fascination

welcome jennie

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Yep, the hardest step in dancing is that first step through the studio door! But soooo worth it!

13. amiko

amiko New Member

You can also try looking up ballroom dance classes at a community college if you want to hang around younger crowd. Or start to google studios in your area and check them all out. Ask people at the studios for referals to other studios until you find an environment you like. =)