Dancers Anonymous > I need some HELP.....those living in NY & CT & NJ

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by standardgirl, Apr 30, 2005.

1. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Ok, I know this post doesn't really belong here, but I really don't know where to put it since there is not misc. section.....(maybe we should get one?? :p )

I know this sounds a bit strange, but I'm having problems with my company (the one I will be interning this summer), and now I would need to find my own housing over the summer. I have tried calling a lot of apartments, but none of them offers any short term (3 months) leases. So, I decided to turn to DFer's and see if I could get some help here.....

I will be working in Armonk, NY, and I am looking for anything around the area (Ossining, White Plains, Stamford, Ardsley, etc), basically anything that's close to both Armonk, and Manhattan. (something like 20 miles from Armonk, and 30 miles from NYC) since I will be dancing in NYC and working in Armonk.

Well, I am a gril for those of you who don't know, so I am SAVE to live with I guess...... lol I would need to move in on May 21 and I will be moving out sometime before the end of August. I am willing to pay, please PM me if you have anything!

I really need some help....I am having some much trouble finding a place to stay right now.....PLEASE!

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hi chiwenl,

This is where this post belongs. Hopefully someone can help you (or know someone who can) since we have so many people from that area who are regular posters here.

I am sure you will have a great time interning in that area over the summer. And I will be in Manhattan for a comp in August, so maybe we can hook up :wink:

3. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Just where is Armonk?

4. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

in the middle of Hudson River, Stamford, Bedford and White Plains if this helps......

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: I need some HELP.....those living in NY & CT & N

I hope someone can help or point out to where you can find more info. chiwnel. I hope the difficulties that you are having over housing is not a reflection of your potential future interning experience. I know only one person, myself, who was going to sublet her place, my sister, and she just found someone last week, so I personally cannot provide any leads. PLus I'm in CNY and not anywhere near where you will be... :(

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I found my apartment share on craigslist, but then I'm actually in NY city so there were more to choose from.

Any area with college students living off campus but year-round leases should have a healthy summer sublet market - though I don't know if there are schools close enough to where you will be.

I don't know if older couples still rent out rooms at all, or if they've all sold their empty houses and moved to Florida. The ideal case there would be to rent from someone who works at the same company - free ride to work!

I don't know how adventurous you are, but I wouldn't rule out just packing light and showing up a few days early to look in person. Either get a short term sublet, a motel room, or (if you have a passport) stay at a hostel in the city. I don't mean to advocate leaving the search for the last minute, but I think people are likely to become more flexible about length of commitment as things get down to the wire.

What I did when I actually moved down here was to get a few nights reservation at a hostel ($30/night) and spent the first few days exploring, apartment hunting, and of course dancing. All housing stuff being online complicated things a little, but internet cafe's made it work. Technically, I cheated on this "adventure" in that I could have been back at relatives in central CT in around three hours, but it worked out, I found a place, and only had to go back to get the rest of my stuff.

7. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

hum...no one seems to like the idea about renting me a place for only 3 months....maybe, I don't know, I will wait until Monday, and see what I can get.... :? I will also call the company again on Monday to see if there is anyone that would let me rent a room......

The funny thing is that we actually do own a house in Long Island except it's rented out, and I just can't live there...... ><

Chris...maybe I will squeze in your place......not like we really know each other, but you have always been so nice on DF....and I image it will be safe! :D <oh, the craigslist is really helpful, except I haven't heard back from anyone yet......>

8. mamboqueen

I'd be a little leery of finding someone on craigslist. I think for a guy, it's a little different, but I dunno....lots of weirdos out there, and let's face it, many of them are in Manhattan! (ducking).

I'll ask my sister-in-law if she has any leads for you. She's in Joisy, but has some relatives in Brooklyn, I think.

It's too bad you couldn't stay at someone's swank penthouse while they're spending their summer out on the Island!

9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

In terms of the safety of something like Craigslist, I wouldn't go for a roomate situation without actually seeing the place and meeting the person. And I think it's possible that this may be part of why Chiwenl hasn't been hearing back when she answers those ads - not being in the area yet, it's hard to do the in-person part of the process, and the people with rooms to rent are probably as (if not more) concerned about finding a good roomate as the people looking for rooms are.

10. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Oh ok, that's kind of really far then. I'd offer you to crash on my couch, but you'd be looking at a 2 hour commute one way every day minimum, I live in Jersey City.

Craigslist is great for finding apartments, but I agree that for a roommate cituation you really should meet the person and see the place before you agree to anything.

11. mamboqueen

I couldn't remember who it was that was in Jersey City. Question for ya. Is there still a heavy cuban population there? And if so, is there a good mambo scene?

(sorry for the temporary hijack).

12. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

MQ- I PMd you. :)

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I just wanted to say that I am in CT but no where near the area you are looking at. I will keep an ear open to any opportunites.

14. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Actually it's not that far. I just looked it up with yahoo map.
    Jersey City, NJ is about 45 miles away from Armonk, and I won't even have to get to the city to go to Armonk. According to the map, I will travel north at the west side of the river, and then I will take I95 east to the other side of the river and them travel north again......

It seems like I will be driving against traffic??

Maybe I will contact you if I really can't find a place! :D
    Thanks for the offer! You DFer's are just WONDERFUL......

Still looking for apartment, got two replied emails from craglist. One of them I won't consider since the roommate is of opposite sex, and I think I will ask someone from the company to take a look for me for the other place.

15. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

chiwenl,

Have a look at the roommates.com website. I have tried the site and it seems reasonable. Most of the subscribers have a picture of themselves or the room on the site.

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

If the company you're interning with knows there's an issue, perhaps they can help with housing. :?: I know I've put up interns in my house for weeks at a time -- folks that my ex or I were mentoring for the summer. When their housing didn't come through quickly enough, they ended up camping out in my guest rooms.

Hmm. Maybe a call to the person you'll be shadowing could help? *shrug* :?

17. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I am still looking, but at least I have found several options now!
    and the company has also provided me with a backup plan...

THANK YOU ALL WHO POINTED ME TO THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

I just want to tell you guys how GREAT you all are!
    I would not be able to find those sources without your help!
    You are just WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! :ladiesma: LOVE YOU ALL!

So, I am moving there on May 20th, and I would definetly like to meet with some of you after settling down! Any interest???

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I probably will be heading down to NY city to see my sister before she heads for INdia...