General Dance Discussion > I get a blank headed whenever I dance freely.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by macbadoo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. macbadoo

macbadoo New Member

At the beginning and at the end of the dance classes we usually dance freely, with whatever comes to mind. This is exactly why I come to dance classes, to learn how to be a fun dance partner.

And my time on the dance floor is doing 2 or 3 basic steps about 99% of the time while figuring and imagining the moves that I learned, 0,1% of doing them properly and 0,9% failing at them. Honestly, I don't really mind failing at performing the moves, but what really bothers me is how when I am at home practicing moves I can do them but once I land my feet on the dance floor I feel lost on what I should do.

If dance is a form of expression, than I guess I just have nothing to express!

opendoor likes this.
  2. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

Completely normal. Dance is a skill that gets better with repetitive execution. So, practice, practice, practice. You are working these things from cognitive memory into muscle memory and they will eventually just come to you very naturally. It only takes a million or so repetitions.
    Hope that helps.

RiseNFall likes this.
  3. macbadoo

macbadoo New Member

It did, because I was feeling 0 motivation to keep praticing by myself and now I have some. Thanks!

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Do you have a practice partner? I find that there is a limit to how much progress I can make practicing by myself (depending somewhat on the dance). Being in frame and interacting with the movement of a partner can expose flaws that you won't find practicing by yourself.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. macbadoo

macbadoo New Member

I wish I had. Would certainly make my life easier.

6. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

What dance style are you learning?

7. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I think what you're going through is normal. Even I with years of experience have a learning curve to climb with a new figure.

If you can go through the pattern by yourself but your mind goes blank when you're with an actual partner, then it could be one of two things. Or a combination of both. Practicing alone we build up habits that don't include another person, so that's an unexpected input.

Also, you could be lacking in certain technique that is essential to leading. Typically a group class does not include a lot of technique, and your instructor's attention is divided among all the students. A private lesson focusing on leading technique may be needed. If you lack the $$ for such, then a practice partner could help if you're willing to explore different technique together to see what really works when an instructor isn't calling out the pattern. And even if you do take a private lesson, having a partner you can practice with would be helpful.

That may be true right now. Stick it out, take the effort and give yourself time to master the technique and then you'll be able to be more expressive. I believe that artistry is built on a solid understanding of the medium you're working in. Ansel Adams, famous landscape photographer, also knew how to develop film. I imagine that Picasso knew how to mix paint and clean his brushes. Your chosen medium is your body on the dance floor.

8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

It takes years to get there. Think of it as learning a new language. How long would it take you to gain enough grammar knowledge, vocabulary, and control over your mouth, tongue and voicebox to be able to communicate? And how much longer after that to be able to talk about abstract things like your thoughts and feelings? And how much longer after that to develop a distinct style that was completely and recognizably yours, no matter the topic?

That's what you're trying to do with dance. Expecting yourself to be able to express yourself when you're still learning basic vocabulary isn't being fair.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 9:10 AM
    Loki likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. Completely normal. I've been dancing for 22 years, and sometimes under pressure I'll forget what steps I know and just do basics.