Hustle Rocks!!!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by lily, May 17, 2005.

1. lily

lily Member

I've just discovered the Hustle and it's great! I had heard a little about this dance before but I had never tried it because I didn't think I'd like the style. But I was very wrong :) I went to a Hustle class this weekend that was followed by a dance party and I had such a great time. This dance feels wonderful 8)

I guess there's no real reason for my post - I just wanted to share my happiness :D
  2. starry

starry New Member

I too dance hustle and wish it would make a revival with the younger set. I find it hard to understand why the dance is not more popular with the 20-something crowd as it can be done to today's pop music. I spoke about this just last week with a renown hustle performer and instructor who said pert of the problem is the dance is so identified amoung disc jockeys and dancers as belonging to the music of the late 70s era.

Anyone else care to comment? I would LOVE to see the hustle take on a new more youthful life!!
  3. lily

lily Member

That's exactly why I didn't try it sooner! I like some disco music but I thought that a whole evening of it would be too much. Also, I didn't really like the way I had seen it danced in movies. But this weekend I discovered that Hustle has little to do with disco; we danced to a great mixture of music and the styling was up to the dancer.
  4. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

AMEN!!! Another Hustle fan!!!!

This dance is so much fun, very sensual, expressive and just plain fun, plus there's a certain element that appeals to my Inner Bird so to speak (the gliding portions of it!). Plus, it's a great way to show off the lady with the fancy twirls, armwork and all.

Personally, I much prefer to do Hustle to a lot of more contemporary R&B/Jazz House music, some of the old Disco stuff works well too (outside of the same 20 tunes that get beaten to death but that's another rant), not much for Top-40 though myself.

Glad you're enjoying this wonderful fun dance! :D

BTW, I LOVE your signature, it just cracks me up that people actually thought like that, about WALTZ!!!???????
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That's great! :D
  6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wait until you really "have " Hustle . . . it's even MORE fun - if you can imagine that!

It's now my second favorite dance . . . right after WCS!
  7. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Whip out some video clips then, and share with those of us who have no clue! :D
  8. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

9. lily

lily Member

Thanks! I absolutely love the Waltz :). And I agree that, depending on the music and the partner, the effect can be intoxicatingly dangerous!
  10. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

11. lily

lily Member

Yeah - I can't wait!!! I plan on taking classes next month (it's really frustrating how dance classes in NY run monthly!) and going out dancing again as soon as I can. 8)
  12. lily

lily Member

Me too :D
  13. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Who are you planning on taking them with?
  14. lily

lily Member

Probably either Dance Manhattan or Empire Dance. I like both studios so it's difficult to decide! Any advice?
  15. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I've never heard of the instructor at Dance Manhattan. Lisa Daniels and Erik Novoa at Empire both know hustle very well. Lisa is actually considered the Hustle Queen.

If your schedule permits, you might want to look at Soho Dance. It's way downtown, but Rob Finnochio teachs there and he is by far one of my favorite instructors and I don't even like hustle. He's so kind and sweet and loves the dance so much. I know a few people who use to take privates from him and were upset when their work and school schedules required them to put dance on hiatus.

Hazel Mede-Ulrich teaches beginner hustle at Stepping Out on Wednesday. She's who I go to for classes and privates. I adore her and am a little bias, but she has a really nice way of explaining things and is wonderful dancer. What's nice about this class is that after class there is a Hustle social every week so you'd be able to get quite a bit of practice in as it is free with your class.
  16. nycgurl

nycgurl New Member

Woohoo! finally a hustle thread :D . I was wondering why these forums had no hustle section. It's a great dance and lot's of fun but I also would like to see some younger people get interested in it. I'm 28 and the baby of the hustle crowd in my area, and of most of the people average about 10-20 years older than me. Younger people seem to here hustle and think cheesey 70's disco and get scared off, but it's nothing like that anymore. If you haven't taken a class yet you have to try it!
  17. lily

lily Member

Hi nycgurl :)

When I posted I wanted to put it in the right section but it doesn't fit in Swing or Salsa or Ballroom. What would Hustle be classed under, if it had to go into a catagory, I wonder!

Hustle seems to be one of those dances that everyone has heard of but that few actually know about. When I told a guy at my Swing class tonight that I had fallen in love with Hustle, he asked me if it was a line dance :shock:
  18. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

There is an old line dance called the hustle. Most people put it with the swing category. Not necessarily on this site, but other sites and some studios do.

I find this odd as swing is a leverage/compression dance and hustle is more deflection,
  19. lily

lily Member

Thanks for the advice leftfeetnyc 8) . It was Erik Novoa's class that helped get me hooked on Hustle so I am very tempted to go to him for lessons. The info on Stepping Out is great - I love it when there is social dancing straight after a class. It can be so frustrating to have to go home straight after the lesson.

20. lily

lily Member

Oh, there is? Well, I guess that's where he got the idea that it's a line dance from!

I guess if I had to choose I'd put Hustle with Swing. It's true that Hustle and Lindy are very different, but then Jive and WCS are often put with Swing so I guess Hustle would be too.