How to shake your shoulders?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Ron Obvious, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

Sorry if this has been up before, but could somebody give some short tips on how to learn to shake one's shoulders. I don't have the coordination yet, so how do you practise that?

The move should be simple ipso facto; right shoulder goes forward, right shoulder goes back, and then it goes forward again. But do this fast and in a shake-manner proves surprisingly difficult. I also heard the shoulder-shake shouldn't affect the movement of the hips (they should not shake).

I karate the muscular motion starts with the hips, which is where my coordination skill is from.
  2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Here's an old thread on the subject -- you may find some useful tips here.
    http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=870

Like many body movements/isolations, I think you just have to keep practising. When I started salsa, I thought it was simply impossible to shake my shoulders. Now I can't stop shimmying... :roll: One way to practise is to start slow, e.g., a shoulder wave per beat, then double up the rate as you get comfortable with the movement.
  3. volleybgrl

volleybgrl New Member

I agree wtih MacMoto. Slow and steady wins the race. Increase your speed as your comfort level grows.
  4. Sabor

Sabor New Member

shake it 'like a polaroid' or 'like a salt shaker' or 'like nobodies biznizz'..
    let the shake travel from toe to hair and then down again.. its about nerve to muscle control.. gets better with practice
  5. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I"m like MacMoto too.... In bellydancing I could isolate each (always been better with my hips though), but when I moved to salsa, I couldn't keep moving and shimmy my shoulders. I wasn't even really practicing because I didn't think I could, but at the Chicago Conference I guess I was just so inspired and now I can do it, maybe not really well, but I can do it :)
  6. tacad

tacad New Member

For me (no bellydancing advantages here :wink: . Though I think it helps to have red hair), I would try to shake them once, almost like a spasm, and try and let them continue, which of course they wouldn't. So I just kept this up and then the spasm would last a little longer, and then longer.
  7. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

well being a redhead certainly has it's benefits and helps in some areas, but I don't think it truly impacted my ability to shimmy

Spasms? sounds.... sexy.... :roll:
  8. tacad

tacad New Member

This reminds me of Fred and Ginger's Shall We Dance. He thought that if his instructor had red hair (Ginger) it would be a great help to his dancing. :wink:

:lol:

:raisebro:
  9. tacad

tacad New Member

Have I mentioned that I like green? :wink:
  10. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

so Fred Astaire found redheads inspiring?
    and, yes, I believe you have :)
  11. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

tacad and Brooke EEEEriiiin,
    sittin' on a Foruuuum.....

f - l - i - r - t - i - n - G !

:kissme:
  12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wait a second!! Is this the flirting thread? :roll: :lol:
  13. chachachacat

sounds like it...
  14. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

chachachacat... you are very cute, but I am certainly not flirting

(you'll know when I'm flirting) :wink: :shock: :lol:
  15. tacad

tacad New Member

I'm not flirting either. But I'm hinting at flirting without actually committing to flirting. Which is still not flirting. Now BrookeErin is answering (and always does :wink: )with straight answers, also not committing to flirting, which nevertheless encourages my hinting at flirting, which is not flirting at all.

So nobody is flirting. And we are merely discussing the colors green and red.

Now where is that Christmas thread?
  16. chachachacat

hey, tacad, you are more slippery
    than a cat being given a bath!
    I see you flirting! :shock: :)
  17. tacad

tacad New Member

I merely like the color green. 8)

18. chachachacat

Well, green IS very popular right now.
  19. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

My favorite green item is my pair of green shoes :)
  20. tacad

tacad New Member

Gotta admit I was hoping for a different favorite green item. :wink: