How much does your pro charge to compete per dance style?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Nov 29, 2012.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I hope no one will get offended, but I have seen such wide ranges of prices that I would like to get an idea of the norm. Assuming that hotel, meals and travel expenses are covered by students, how much does your pro charge for single dances, championship and scholarship rounds? My pro charges a flat fee of $600 to include two rounds of single dances, championship a a scholarship. What prices are you experiencing as pro am dancers? Do the prices go up for bigger comps or call back rounds?
  2. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

For two rounds of single dances (assuming rhythm), a championship, and a scholarship, plus the flat fee, I'd be within $50 of that total...but I also have a feeling my pro doesn't charge as much as most other pros, or as much as he could and probably should. Believe me, I'm not complaining!

Prices don't go up for bigger comps and call back rounds are basically "free" - I think he figures if we make it to call backs, we deserve the break. Prices DO go up for comps that involve more than the "usual" travel...but that's because that is the only time he charges for travel, meals, and expenses outside of the flat comp fee (which is meant to cover those things) and per dance fees. I have a good deal, and I know it!
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't feel at liberty to share my pro's pricing structure on the public forum...but I will say that it is very straightforward and it is a per heat charge...per heat for scholarships, per heat for call backs, per heat...period

that charge is usually > or = to the organizer per heat charge...there is also a flat rate that we all pay for expenses that does not change regardless of number of days or styles or whatever...it is a flat rate....it only changes if you go alone....then it is more...I like this structure even though it is ...daunting...because there is never any mystery or bargaining..it is what it is and everybody knows it...and they can take it or leave it...I think that it saves alot of drama and guess work
  4. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

i charge a flat rate per day per student regardless of number on entries. i used to charge a lower per day fee but also charge entries. i've found now that if i just charge a higher per day fee its easier and students end up dancing more entries. this is of course on top of all my expenses(package and travel costs).
  5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I pay the entry fees + a small fee per heat (or per dance if it's a multi-dance event) and a variable day fee (in the neighborhood of $200, give or take. If I am dancing two styles, both on the same day, it's just one fee.) Old studio, I paid only a per-dance fee, but it works out to be about the same either way.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Don't we already have threads with this info?
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure we have several around. I've replied to this type of question in the past.
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

there have been several threads as to cost per dance, entry, scholarship, rounds, etc etc etc as all of us seem to experience vastly different or almost similar pro fee styles.
    My pro, charges on a sliding scale, the more dances the less it is-he charges per dance not per entry or round,,,recalls are $15 each recall not per entry. He also charges a flat rate per day, dance as much as you want as he has several students who, at times, are dancing two styles in one day. The flat rate, for me, is always better.
    And he is very aware of what will benefit the student as to "bang for the buck".
    Every teacher/pro, out there, is different as are the garden variety of students who compete at the pro/am competition level.
  9. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

IMO, it does not matter what the fee structure is for anyone else....
    It does not make a lot of sense for me to compare one pro's cost to another.... I am not competing with this abstract pro in a different studio or a different state where the cost of living varies.

But this is what matters to me.... For "my" pro can I afford this, and if I can say yes to that then I ask myself is the cost worth the enjoyment I will get for my dollars.... If I can say yes to both I really don't care what other pro's charge... I only care about what I can afford and then if at the end of the day did spending this money make me happy... End of story.
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  10. fascination

right...I have a dance budget...how long it lasts and where it gets used is up to me...obviously my pro's rate is his perogative, and I have to adjust what I can do accordingly...but I think that once one accepts to train with someone, one accepts their pricing structure....obviously, it may effect what gets done, but it is the perogative of the pro to determine their terms
  11. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Right...to a point. There is also, as a student, some benefit in having at least a vague idea what other pros charge their students to know if you are below, at, or above the average for your area. What a pro charges is absolutely their business, and the quality of dancing in instruction certainly varies and the prices along with them...ultimately, it is up to the student to decide if the price for that individual instructor is worth it. I get that.

However...there have been times (brief though they are) when I have been struggling for one reason or another with my teacher...relationship-wise, instruction-wise, etc....and the ONLY thing that kept me from walking out the door at that moment was knowing what a good financial deal I have as a student and how difficult it would be to find it somewhere else, because I have that general idea what other pros charge. Thank goodness for that, or the times like now, when things are going so well, never would have arrived.
  12. fascination

interesting..for me, fortunately, it isn't about the money...but it is about the skill...I do know what is available in the area ...and I am confident that I am where I should be
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

First of all, let me say I agree that pros should charge what they choose, I have never tried to negotiate with anyone, and I am also happy with what my pro charges. However, I have noticed that there is such a wide range of competition fees between different pros and it seems to take on a "secretive" element at times... so students new to competing have no idea what is a reasonable price structure.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Totally agree.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I had someone call me up the other day who is just starting to compete with a new instructor in town and they were discussing competition fees. She had no idea what was the norm, and I shared my experience with her, but it made me wonder why the fees are so different and why they are usually kept secret except to each pro's actual students. The lesson fees are usually public knowledge, even posted on their websites, but competition fees... they seem to be more hidden from what I have observed.
  16. fascination

I will say that it is totally up front at my studio...we all know what we all pay...we all know that it is the same...
  17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have only been at independent studios, so every pro charged something different.
  18. fascination

personally, I have never been asked not to discuss the rest...but since it is my pro's income I just feel a respect for his privacy on that issue ...while I feel free to talk in generalities to give people a sense of things, I just don't feel it is appropriate for me to list specifics to a wide audience...and I know you aren't suggesting that..I am just explaining myself
  19. fascination

I
    am talking only about my pro's students I do think/know that charges vary among the other pros...I am not around enough to know those sorts of things...nor am I even curious
  20. fascination

and I too, have never been at a studio that wasn't independent