General Dance Discussion > How long do dance shoes last?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ticolora, May 1, 2017.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

I got a pair of ballroom shoes, the kind that has fuzzy soles (suede). I've only be dancing for 6 months, 4-8 hrs a week. Now the front of the sole is slick and shiny. I think all the fuzz is gone and its just polished leather, but I'm not sure.

At first, I thought that it's just dirty and all the fuzz hairs got packed together, I tried cleaning it, and it doesn't seem to be the case. Bottom of the hill is still fuzzy.

I got a dance shoes metal wire brush, but I don't think it will do any good if there is no fuzz left to brush.

So... do I replace them? re-suede them with one of those kits you see online (or take to the cobbler).

How long do these suppose to last?

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Get a shoe brush to tease the suede back up. Wax and other buildup will push the suede down

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I go through a pair every 4-6 months, dancing 6 days a week.

Rotating my shoes helps prolong them - when I wore the same pair every day, I was replacing them every 3 months.

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

You just need to brush them. They should last at least a year, if not longer.

5. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

sometimes it is worth taking them to a cobbler and having them brushed up using the wire wheel. They could check them out and let you know if the soles need replacing yet. How long they last might also depend on how much you paid..... the cheaper ones seem to have soles that don't last as long, perhaps the cheaper leather is not as dense so compacts more easily? I'm not sure though, just a thought.

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Mine last about a year. But I said in the other thread that I like slick soles...

7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

If you are dancing Standard or American Smooth, slick glassy bottoms are a good thing.

8. Mia

Mia Member

I find one contact to have is a trusted cobbler! Some cobblers are significantly better then others and they can give great advice on the material type and thickness as well as when a new sole is needed versus when brushing will allow it`s prolonged use. Do you have a photo of the bottom where it appears worn?

9. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I usually use patent leather shoes and I fine the patent does not saying time for more than about a year. Usually I change the shoes every 6 to 9 months.

10. ticolora

ticolora Member

Do you mean patent leather on soles of shoes?

11. ticolora

ticolora Member

What is the scale for dance shoes? I know that high price doesn't always mean high quality, although the opposite is usually true. But this might give me an idea how much I should expect to spend next time.

I got these: http://www.thedancewearshoppe.com/So_Danca_Mens_Robbie_Ballroom_Shoe_p/bl-102.htm

12. DanceMentor

No, I mean I wear a men's standard show that is Patent Leather for the upper part.

13. DanceMentor

I think what a pro dancer regards as "quality" may not be based on how long the shoes will last. Usually they prefer a softer, more flexible shoe, and this type of shoe will not tend to last as long as a shoe that is more fixed, and uses more reinforcement, and perhaps thicker leather.

14. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

IMO, for a social dance shoe, these are probably middle of the road. So they are likely a pretty good choice for a social dancer. As you get experience, you can try other shoes. I wouldn't recommend going less expensive if you want decent quality in a dance shoe, myself. But YMMV, it's all about what works for your budget and your feet.

15. HieroglyphicChi

HieroglyphicChi New Member

Are there any good shoes out there for a hip-hop dancer that have a traction on the toes but are smooth on the underside? Been looking for a pair but most shoes arent sturdy enough due to alot of footwork and ballet background. What are the best shoes for each style of dance?

16. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

1-2 months is about the average for me dancing 4-6 days a week (10-15 hours), however one of the floors I dance on has WAY too much wax on it. The floor time is free though, so at least it's a decent trade off.