Tango Argentino > How do you compliment a follower

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by aaah, Jul 20, 2017.

1. aaah

aaah Member

After the dance -- How do you compliment a follower to make her feel special and happy. I have heard in Argentina it is an art. Suggestions?

2. c955

c955 New Member

The closest thing to a sincere compliment for any dancer is to be invited to dance a second tanda. Anything else is/are just words ;)

sixela, Loki and MaggieMoves like this.
  3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

For me, I always look for a sincere smile after. Like @c955 said, even better is a second dance.

4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Dance your best. Better with every song. Better every time you dance together.
    That would be the best compliment. Words are not that important.

jantango likes this.
  5. jantango

jantango Active Member

When you feel a connection, she feels it, too. Nothing needs to be said.

ArbeeNYC and Lilly_of_the_valley like this.
  6. JTh

JTh Member

Yes. If that connection is there, I think you will find that she will be the one to thank you. :)

7. JTh

JTh Member

Absolutely it's an art. No doubt about it.
    All the skills for artistry apply in a good dance.

8. Oliver

Oliver Member

Him or her or them.

I usually save compliments for the end of the tanda, so it doesn't distract from enjoying the dance together (I've noticed if someone compliments me right after the first song, I sometimes dance the second poorly because I'm trying to repeat the element they complimented a minute ago instead of just dancing). But something short and sweet, like "that was lovely" usually works for me.

9. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

I would only say something if I have a positive comment to make, never complement if it's not deserved.
    Also, I would never pass a judgement like "you are a good dancer" or similar. Rather I would express how I felt dancing with her.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  10. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

My favorite compliment to receive - heights permitting - is the feel of a quick smile against my cheek.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

To a beginner: "You've been dancing tango already, haven't you?"
    The best I've come up with, that is, an original compliment of mine, not something I had read somewhere:
    "Usually I'm happy with this time change, coz'it makes the week-end last longer. Yet this year it made me sad, as it delayed
    for one hour the opportunity to dance with you."
    (We have time changes twice a year)

12. larrynla

larrynla Member

A smile and a "Thank you." There's no secret to it. Just act the way you would with any other activity: be natural and sincere.

13. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

Argentine men are so good at giving compliments. We foreign women are sitting ducks when given some of these - they are so rare here. Example: "I must go to the emergency room - your beautiful dance is too much for my heart"

14. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember one I once read in a blog of some US woman who moved to BsAs (was not Pichi).
    Looking at the woman's legs "If this is the railway, then what the station must be like!".