How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Our "how are your lessons going?" thread is a popular thread that allows everybody to share what they worked in their lessons, so I thought perhaps the same type of thread for practices might be nice.

Feel free to share thoughts, breakthroughs, frustrations, achievements, questions, fun stories, whatever about your practices....we'll see if the thread takes off!

2. latingal

Last practice I finally saw in the mirror the visual and the functional difference in the body when I successfully keep enough weight on the standing leg when transferring weight in rumba walks!

For me, a good visualization is worth a thousand words. *grin*

3. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

For me (with regards to heel turns) I decided to apply what Samina said and IT WORKS. I noticed the difference immediately. Now to apply that into actual dancing. LOL

I also have been trying to practice "in frame", you know with the arms in proper position and head in proper position. That way I can have proper CBM and whatnot.

It is helping also with doing this in the studio as well when I have to wait a bit for my own lesson to start. So i feel a lot less uncomfortable. :D

4. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

I'm so frustrated in practice! I'm working on my checks in latin dances. Remembering to transfer ALL my weight from one bent leg to the other, while alternatingly straightening the opposite leg, using the cuban motion from the hips, keeping your upper body pulled up, but your shoulders locked down. AND THEN--I have to keep my thighs together during the check action. For some reason I have the worst time keeping my thighs locked during the check and even during lock steps. Which makes my check action swing through instead of a nice display of weight transfer. It's driving me crazy that I can't get this...

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

very nice, LG

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

mebbe two weeks ago i started working with a rumba drill, with a sequence of figures done in an endless loop...am very impressed with how quickly the drill has borne fruit! have asked my pro for similar drill for all the latin dances.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I do a lot of practise 'on the hoof' as it were, whenever I'm alone. I'm currently trying to stretch my leg extension and going round doing the goose step (look at 2nd world war German soldiers formal march) trying to imporove my kicks. I want to be able to hold the leg at least paralell to the ground.

8. latingal

keep at it Stillharbor, heaven knows we've all been there!

9. latingal

Thanks sam!

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

practicing a slight alteration of precisely when the hip moves from back to front and some other nuances and trying to do them in such a was as to not make it look as automated as is currently neccessary in order to actuallly do it...sigh..also practicing step two of some turns and trying to take out the same over -analysis of the application of an awful lot of very good information...;)...

11. latingal

Isn't it amazing how detailed the timing of each part of the action is (in my experience with latin), a half second late or early and you get a whole different look to what is produced.

12. fascination

yea...completely...and then to be precise without lokking robotic...oy...and then that whole "be relaxed thing"? falls down laughing

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

great practice with DP. improving ballance, left whisk in waltz - shaping up not down ;) new step sequences in tango; foxtrot is beginning to feal like a dream....

14. latingal

*grin* I'm with you. After four years of practices I'm finally getting to the relaxed thing....either I'm very uptight and/or very slow.

15. latingal

Worked more today on keeping the body connected and aligned correctly while dancing cha-cha. Grounding continues to become a habit; biggest issue currently working is coming out of fast turns in to poses.

Worked precise timing and dynamics of quicks and slows in samba, definitely not in the body yet.

16. fascination

samba walks....I just love to keep my back heel down...sigh...not acceptable...and I would prefer not to have a straighter front leg, but I am informed that that will make it harder for me to have a really good down since I am getting there too soon...sigh...wicked evil samba walks

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

following to the end of the motion. realized I was following fine but stopping before the lead was completely done. DP really notices the difference.

18. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

You mean the, "put this here, put that there, body blocks in line, stretch more... RELAX, are you breathing?" thing?

Been going through some of that lately.

;-)

19. fascination

no no no...that's a far too simplistic version of it ;)

20. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

i love samba walks. :p