Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Lol. DW and I once danced a tango in a comp, holding very exaggerated sour-puss faces though the whole thing. The judges cracked up. :D

Borazine and RiseNFall like this.
  2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Finally a decent rhythm lesson last week. Figuring a couple things out and changing the mindset helped quite a bit.

RiseNFall likes this.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The showcase routing is coming together now. Since I decided a few weeks ago that I needed to project more confidence as a lead, our partnership and connection seems to have improved. I do have a funny story from practice with alternate-alternate partner and the toy tango: We have one bit where I lead her across me, let her go apart for a moment, and then I have to catch her hand with my other hand as she does a ronde. We've had trouble timing that bit. We were practicing it and she would tell me the catch was late. I'd try to do it a bit earlier and she still said it was late. So I said, "all right, I'm going to do the catch ridiculously early, and then that will give me a hint of where it needs to be". So I did that, and my partner said, "that's about right!" :eek:

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror during QS last night... holy cow, where did that girl come from? And can she pretty please stay? She looked ridiculously good, and I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that she was me.

Also, pro has started to use the word "practice" in our lessons... as in, "let's practice VW"... then we dance, with no instruction and limited corrections. We just run through, consult each other, then run through again. This may be normal for others, but it's a major shift for us. Maybe has something to do with the girl I saw in the mirror last night?

5. scullystwin42

smooth lesson was a little bumpy, my shoulders were around my ears even though i was thinking about keeping them relaxed, so, not cool. Ugh. hopefully tomorrow's smooth will be better. rhythm on monday was a little better. hopefully tonight will continue to be improved.

6. scullystwin42

rhythm was...meh. jelly legs for some reason. it wasn't bad, tho, so i think it was outside stress that was impacting me.

7. I sometimes feel like a big green dollar sign for my dance school. I'm not trying to be egoistic.

The reason is that the dance scene in my city isn't so big. I live in a mid-sized city that is a somewhat conservative gov't town.

A lot of the folks at my dance school are older married couples and me and a few other students are one of the few young ones. Also, most students are female.

I think when they see a somewhat young-ish single guy like me who wants to learn to dance, they see me as prime real estate. Leads take longer to train. Also, being single and somewhat young, they know I'm vulnerable to the attractive female instructors who can manipulate me to keep taking lessons.

Again, nothing malicious is going on. I am paying for a service. They are providing it. They've always been professional and courteous. But yah, I feel like they really really want my business, even more so than the other students. Not trying to be an egotistic knat here.

8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF SmoothAsian. Check out DF threads, there are several where various input, thoughts, discussions are posted, to lower costs, partnerships, etc., etc.,
    As for lessons and walking dollar sign, yep,
    Lessons drive the business. No matter who you are.
    Can you find another amateur partner to split lesson cost with, I.e., a college student who is on a ballroom team.
    Ok, I am not going to High jack this thread, so onto my lessons yesterday.
    Switched some things up for FT, getting ready for Hollywood Dancesport. Pro reviews tapes, and I have a feeling I’m becoming a pretzel in VW, or almost.
    Pro focused on sway, and then my hands and fingers. Dreading the drive to Universal Hilton next week but at least I have a fast track lane device. Lol.

scullystwin42 and RiseNFall like this.
  9. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Possible, but also possible/likely that you just don't see their efforts to extract money from the other students, and/or they've had enough discussions with those other students that they know to apply less pressure or how to optimize their efforts.

RiseNFall likes this.
  10. So I guess teachers don't like their students...it's like any other business...it's all about the money.

11. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you gleaned that from my reply, but those two things are not mutually exclusive. Teachers can like their students and studios still want to maximize profits.

On topic:
    - One more lesson with each instructor before Showcase. I think I'm as ready as I can be at this point, but will probably fubar some things anyways because that is how it always goes.
    - Prepping for January comp with other instructor. No idea how we are going to learn/practice all we need to know before then. But I always feel invigorated after his lessons - I really appreciate the physical exertion - feels productive.

RiseNFall likes this.
  12. Kaus Lee

Kaus Lee New Member

It was great I had a blast teaching

13. scullystwin42

so, not a lesson, but did my mambo - which i've been struggling with FOR SO LONG - for a party performance, and FINALLY it was good. We nailed the one part that has been a thorn in my side for MONTHS. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY, finally, sheesh.

14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

It's a reverse turn/feather finish. What could be so hard?
    Bwahahahahaaaaaaaa

FancyFeet, cornutt and Borazine like this.
  15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

It’s the little things,,,,, ugh,,,,put hands in face and question WHY, WHY, did I come to my lesson. Where is my brain!,,,

16. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I have finally gotten smart(er) about preparing for a competition. I'm trying to show up at the last sets of lessons as warmed up as I would be if I were stepping onto the competition floor. It's not that easy to do because I need a fair amount of warm up and life (including traffic) tried hard to to interfere today. But I liked the result quite a bit. Pro and I were both pleased, both with the pretend we're at a comp part and the lesson part. At one point during the "pretend we're at a comp" part, we had stepped off of the floor while a song we didn't want to dance to played and he asked if he could talk to me or if he was supposed to be out of the floor with somebody else. :rofl: I said he could talk to me. When he wanted to demo something, he said, "It's OK, there's some general dancing going on at the moment." :rolleyes:

Ampelette and cornutt like this.
  17. Starting to get positive feedback from fellow students. Obviously, the instructors are always encouraging but I am now noticing positive feedback from the students, both female and male ones.

Sania, Dance Redeemer, Purr and 2 others like this.
  18. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

IF it was, the majority of Pro's would have quit years ago !!..

IndyLady, RiseNFall and scullystwin42 like this.
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Think pro may have noticed the girl in the mirror too... he's been super nitpicky all week.

For example: in the last 2-3 minutes of my first lesson this week, he showed me a change that he wanted to make in tango. I was confused, and made him demo it a couple of times. The next day - when I have logged exactly 0 practice minutes - he want to work on it. We do it, to music - having never tried it before - and in my head I'm all 'yes! Figured it out! Did the right steps, with the right timing, and managed to commit and throw myself sideways and no one died or fell over!'. Pro's response: "NO! Head to the right. (annoyed tone>) I told you this yesterday." My response was a silent stare, raised eyebrow, and turn away to walk back to the start position. (He may have gotten the message at that point, because he backed off a little.)

On the upside, he has sought me out after both lessons to state that he's "really pleased" and that "we did some really good work"/"made some really good progress", etc. It's making me want to kill him a little less, but still not really in the mood to be pushed super hard right now.

Oh, and he wants to start rounds (maybe just 3 dances to start) next week for "conditioning". I have no comp on the horizon... am in a technical fixes phase, and haven't even been running full dances in practice. Cardio is happening in the gym right now, and have zero concerns about my level of conditioning given where I am in my prep. When exactly did I become his practice partner?

Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  20. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Last comp that I'll be doing this year is next weekend, and Pro just substantially moved the goal post on my dancing. Not because he has a bad sense of humor, but because I was ready to learn a couple of things. And I asked to work on some of it. :hilarious: It'll be interesting to see what happens in my lessons next week and to what extent he tries to incorporate it at the comp. Some of it is just me dancing better and I can hope it will at least begin to show up; some is a matter of how he chooses to lead. In an act of remarkable intelligence, he varied his lead on the move in question during today's lesson. Me, confused: uh, did I screw up or did I do what you led? (I had done what he led.) We also discussed competitions for next year and some dancing goals. To be continued, but I gave told him my approximate budget for the year for competitions--for the entry fees and his charges--and told him he could choose; his first choice was Hawaii Star Ball. We're on the east coast. :rolleyes:

scullystwin42 and cornutt like this.