Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Standard continues to be a joy to work on. Every lesson I feel like I am making some progress - sometimes a little, sometimes more than a little. My Pro continues to have an infinite amount of patience showing me what amounts to the same correction over and over again, in different ways or with a different spin to it. But I can feel when I hit it right; it just remains hard to make those turns/angles/cuts exactly right each time. But it is definitely improving. We are at the point now of working on longer sections of each dance and, occasionally, doing complete rounds to see how everything is flowing together and where I'm really weak.

Latin is, with the exception of rumba, doing better. The new choreo is starting to jell and we can start focusing more on technique again. I think I'm at the beginning of seeing some progress with technique and performance in jive and samba (fingers crossed). Rumba, though.... The choreography just isn't working, so we keep changing parts each week trying to find something that has a better overall flow. Pieces are definitely improved, but it's still not great. This is also the dance I struggle the most with character. With rumba, I tend to look like a bull in a China shop - nothing graceful, or sensual or languid. Or, for that matter, musical. Just muscling through or forcing my inflexible body into awkward shapes. As you can tell, not sure what to do with rumba. But the other 9 - they are going swimmingly heavenly, wonderfully right now.

Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Had an excellent, but tiring, three coachings today. Two different coaches and two different teachers. First two were smooth, one with Pro and one with New Guy with the same coach. It was absolutely astounding how much easier the coach made everything with a few alterations to how I was dancing. New Guy and I did a figure at the end of the second coaching that I've always had some issues with and...the issues had completely disappeared. As I've noted before, amazing how much easier it is to dance with proper technique. ;)

Third was with other coach and New Guy. I requested making my Swing better for the team match on Sunday. I should have know better. o_O This--of course--resulted in 45 minutes of working on my presentation and performance skills. Sigh....all for the good, of course, and there was a marked improvement, but I am much more comfortable working on technique than my performance skills. :oops:

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Learning a new trick in tango... think FF is on one leg, with the other leg up in the air, and is bent over backward looking at the floor, then somehow is back up and around and in PP ready to start new LOD. Have to figure out how to not get dizzy with all the level changes on this one... and at one memorable point last night my ears were ringing after coming back up.

That's when we moved to QS. Where I have brand new choreo - learned in the tail end of my last lesson - that involves me running backward and ending up in rumba cross. And had to get pro to slow the F down and explain rumba cross for five minutes, because we've never danced it, and while I learned it one time about a million years ago in a seminar, I hadn't exactly learned it to the level of precision needed to execute it well at high speed.

There was some FT and W too, where we fixed a few spots I wasn't 100% happy with.

4. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

smooth lesson last night - more focus on frame in closed. i must have constant vigilance! and remind myself not to tense up in my upper body. also to have patience and not barrell through my routines. but overall good lesson!

Dance Redeemer and RiseNFall like this.
  5. scullystwin42

rhythm lesson was again frustrating, but a little less so, if that makes sense. working on lots of little things still, but i need to do some actual routines again as well. I think my pro was trying to make me feel better again but i swear he's kinda terrible at that :hilarious:

Dance Redeemer likes this.
  6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I actually said to Pro last week, "It does not make me feel better when you say that!" This was in reference to an upcoming team match, where I do some dances that I don't normally do. His attitude is along the lines of "Oh, it's only a team match, it's not as if it's Blackpool, it'll be fine." I ended up dragging New Guy into it as well to explain to both of them that that is not what I want to hear. New Guy got it first and articulated it better than I did: "Oh, you want, 'I know you take this seriously and I will help you be well prepared for it.'" :dancingbanana:

Dance Redeemer likes this.
  7. scullystwin42

love it, ha! we'll see how i feel next week and whether i need to remind him that just because he talks a lot doesn't mean he's always articulate. lol.

8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

kill. me. now.

3wishes likes this.
  9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Oh I soooooo get that, hahaha.

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. scullystwin42

well, had a really great smooth lesson - my pro pulled some really good info on weight distribution over from other coachings he had and it had an immediate effect on my smooth. good effect! also made me understand even better something my rhythm pro was explaining.

Dance Redeemer and RiseNFall like this.
  11. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Lol. Once we slowed it down for the few minutes it took for me to remember the footwork and learn the alignments he wanted (because we are, of course, not dancing the book version), it was no trouble at all. I'm having a harder time with a series of step hops and scatter chasses in a really unconventional rhythm. My brain gets it, but my feet are all o_O when we try to do it at speed.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I don't know which is harder to follow: the running right turn or rumba cross. And what sadist made the RRT a Silver figure? Just guessing the same sadist that made the double reverse spin a Bronze figure. Bwahahahaaaaaa seriously?

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Breakthrough in AT lesson and group class...better understanding of the mechanics of how motion is supposed to work...also somewhat better understanding of connection in AT...

...just a side note, but I've been working a lot on yoga balance poses - tree, tree variation (can't think of the specific name, it does have one), and warrior III...it's significantly improved my balance, especially for AT...

RiseNFall and j_alexandra like this.